My 1st time at the strip...i should be shot

I beat a Busa on my GS500E (racing brackets of course). I'll lay my money on a better rider with a slower bike any day.

When you get some practice, it will come (I red lighted and lost in the semi as recently as a month ago - it happens).

You'll find out there is no "predicting" in drag racing. It will run what it runs and that is often slower than what you think it will do. Seat time and learning your bike will gain you a ton of E.T.

When you stage, pay attention to the roll of the bike from the time it turns on the bulb. You will notice that you can just trip the light, and stop - or you can roll another inch or two before anything happens. You can use this inch or two to your advantage (who doesn't like an extra inch or two?). If you are worried about red-lighting - just trip the bulb and stop. That's a shallow stage. When you get the hang of it, you can stage well into the beam if you like (will raise your E.T. a bit but there are other benefits). To the casual observer, there's nothing going on but a whole world of things happen at the tree. We are the lucky ones that get to play the game.
Bunch of good info here

Dragracing is an awful lot of practice, because it's the details that get it right.

The easier it looks, the harder it is to do it "just right"

Practice and HAVE FUN
smile.gif

I can see this happening to me... Haven't gone yet myself... might go next summer.. I have alout of car time on the stripe but a big zero on a bike.. I'm already nerves

I am with you, I went to the strip last night here in South MS and I should be shot as well. My first pass was the best one. 10.94@128, followed by an 11.87@129 and an 11.08@129. Second pass had some tire spin then wheelie and third had wheelie with hitting rev limit. She has more in her for sure. I suck LOL.

Keep in mind that it doesn't matter if it's a scooter or a fuel bike in the other lane, just do what you do. Practice, like everyone else said, and if you can have a friend video tape a few runs, do that. It's easier to see/hear what you are doing wrong that way.

Three weeks ago, I was really excited about making my first pass down the track.  
I had read quite a bit about what to do to launch my Busa so I felt prepared as I pulled up to the line.  
I was pretty confident that I was going to kill the 600 who had lined up with me.
As the yellow lights began flashing down, I twisted the throttle to increase the RPMs.  When the last yellow began to dim, I released the clutch and...
I stalled!  
Haha!  Talk about embarassing!
The other guy red lighted and stopped so the track worker had us start over.
With a reaction time of .693  
coffee.gif
I ran an 11.4 at 128.  
tounge.gif

I beat the gsxr and had made my first pass with my Busa but I didn't set the world on fire.
As I ran more that evening, my times decreased with my best time being 10.5 at 134.
I've been a total of 4 times this month and now I'm running 10.1s and 10.2s at 137-138 really consistantly.
9s are right around the corner!
The whole race is really to 60'.  For every tenth you get faster there, you'll shed 2 tenths off your time.
Practice, practice, practice!

FYI - My bike has a pipe, PC, clutch mod, air shifter, lowered a little and strapped.  I'm also running Pilot Powers.  I'm 240# with leathers.

guns.gif

Just kidding. You set yourself up for that.

I'm sure I couldn't do any better. Now you just need some practice!

(LadyHawk @ Sep. 22 2006,10:30)
guns.gif

At least I'm improving with every track session, LadyHawk!
smileyexhibit.gif

(Style @ Sep. 22 2006,12:42)
(LadyHawk @ Sep. 22 2006,10:30)
guns.gif

At least I'm improving with every track session, LadyHawk!  
smileyexhibit.gif
No need for flashing me there mister!
laugh.gif

Hell I won't even take mine ON the track.
wink.gif

I just had to pop in and be a smarta$$.. I'll leave now
biggrin.gif

I can see this happening to me . . .

Haven't gone yet myself . . .

Might go next summer . . .

I have a lot of car time on the strip
but a big zero on a bike . . .

I'm already nervous .

Plenty of dates for us to race at the strip ~ just show up & pick the class that you fit in *

2018 Tag Team.jpg

Back