My 1st time at the strip...i should be shot

DeRos

Registered
So Friday night was my 1st time at the drag strip with my busa.... I was so excited, sure of myself that I'd have all the fastest times or atleast commencerate with the one other busa there.

I got 2 runs in before final elimination.. those went well my 1st being my best for the night et was 11.55 @ 127mph, sure not the greatest time but for a 1st timer I was happy. I took it really easy on that run and was convinced I could step it up a notch at hit at least mid 10's @ 135+

Here I am set for my 1st run
4.jpg

So my turn for a 2nd run comes around, this time I figure I'll set my feet back put my weight on the tank and really launch it right, here is a pic of me set up.

5jpg.jpg

well I'm glad this was just practice because after I launched I couldnt find the damn shifter I was flying so fast by the time I got my feet back in place I'd redlined 1st hit the limiter and was loosing speed, I finally hit 2nd and 3rd gear to get a time of 12.15 @ 124mph

so I thought to my self ok, I've learned a bit about my bike I can do better next time...well next time came around as the final elimination, the other busa there was set to race against me, everyone was excited about our race 2 busa going at it in the 1/4 mile ya this one was gonna be good, when at the last minute busa #2 gets pulled as the buy out guy and a 600 takes his place.

It's dark by now but here we are all set to go, Im thinking to myself this guy is dust.
IMG_0815.jpg

I was so disappointed that it threw off my prep for the next launch, we both moved into our prestage spots our turn comes up and I prepare to launch, my engine is revved the lights falls down yellow, yellow, yellow I rev it some more yellow, it's about to hit green I begin to slip the clutch when BAAAAAAMMMM it goes red, the 600 launches and I stop "What The Hell" I scream this isnt happening, the track man looks at me and puts his head down to wave me off the track my breath has left my body from the extreme moment of confusion, all I could think was wtf happened.

Well it turns out I set up too close to the line and when I went to slip the clutch at the last yellow it lurched me just enough to trip the stop light, I was so heart broke I left the track straight to the streets heading home as fast as I could. My man hood shattered. I am sooo unworthy, this was the worst defeat ever a 600 takes out the busa...I should be shot.

Well now I'm hooked and have to go back next friday to redeem myself, I'll be studying hard for every tip and practice routine needed to blow them away. I wont fail you again my friends.

Maybe you could take up knitting?

Just kidding. I remember back in the early 80s when I was learning how to drag race. Practice in an out of the way place somewhere, road, abandoned airstrip, etc. Have someone who knows how to race watch you practice and give you pointers. You'll see that in a short time you should be able to return to the track and get that thing in the low 10s. Well maybe the mid 10s. Well, we will see.

Be safe, and use the hump when you drag race.

P.

Don't feel bad, a red light loss happens all the time. I was at the track this weekend and saw a bone stock zx-14 run in the 11s also. The rider was racing another bike so it's not like it was his first rodeo. He did get the bike into the mid 10s but it was after a few passes.

Don't feel bad!! I can remember my first time at the track and I was running 12's. Practice, practice, practice....... And when you start to make some mod's to your bike to better the performance,, let me know cuz I can give you some good pointer.....

Don't feel bad!! I can remember my first time at the track and I was running 12's.  Practice, practice, practice....... And when you start to make some mod's to your bike to better the performance,, let me know cuz I can give you some good pointer.....
What mods do you recommedn for someone that is just starting to drag. Only mod I have is that my bike is lowered.

Don't feel bad!! I can remember my first time at the track and I was running 12's.  Practice, practice, practice....... And when you start to make some mod's to your bike to better the performance,, let me know cuz I can give you some good pointer.....
What mods do you recommedn for someone that is just starting to drag.  Only mod I have is that my bike is lowered.
Read my launching thread on my mods and progress. Where are you racing at?

I'd start with a set of leather gear, a strap with a Brocks end kit. Mobil 1 oil. A clutch mod, shift light, Shinko rear tire. And get some practice in!

Dros,

Like they said seat time, the more passes the better........ have fun and race your own race. Take your time to learn the bike. Stay in your comfort level.

What mods do you recommedn for someone that is just starting to drag.  Only mod I have is that my bike is lowered.
Read my launching thread on my mods and progress.  Where are you racing at?  

I'd start with a set of leather gear, a strap with a Brocks end kit. Mobil 1 oil. A clutch mod, shift light, Shinko rear tire. And get some practice in!
I race at MIR in Budds Creek, MD. The fastest mods that you can do to a stock busa is: 1. Clutch Mod; 2. Airbox Mod (I can give you instructions on doing that yourself); 3. Don't race with air filter. Get a stock air filter and cut off the filter piece so all you have is the top cover; 4. Change your gearing. I'm 230lbs and my gearing is 15/42. If you have a power commander go get it tuned by a dyno authorize dealer. If not, then get it mapped through the ecu by a yosh box. Run pump gas(highest octane 93). you will be wasting your money on using racing fuel cuz you haven't done anything to the motor. I got more info but can't give out all my goodies!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I race at MIR in Budds Creek, MD.  The fastest mods that you can do to a stock busa is:  1. Clutch Mod; 2. Airbox Mod (I can give you instructions on doing that yourself); 3.  Don't race with air filter.  Get a stock air filter and cut off the filter piece so all you have is the top cover; 4. Change your gearing.  I'm 230lbs and my gearing is 15/42.  If you have a power commander go get it tuned by a dyno authorize dealer.  If not, then get it mapped through the ecu by a yosh box.  Run pump gas(highest octane 93). you will be wasting your money on using racing fuel cuz you haven't done anything to the motor.  I got more info but can't give out all my goodies!!!!!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Lower it too.

P.

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I race at MIR in Budds Creek, MD.  The fastest mods that you can do to a stock busa is:  1. Clutch Mod; 2. Airbox Mod (I can give you instructions on doing that yourself); 3.  Don't race with air filter.  Get a stock air filter and cut off the filter piece so all you have is the top cover; 4. Change your gearing.  I'm 230lbs and my gearing is 15/42.  If you have a power commander go get it tuned by a dyno authorize dealer.  If not, then get it mapped through the ecu by a yosh box.  Run pump gas(highest octane 93). you will be wasting your money on using racing fuel cuz you haven't done anything to the motor.  I got more info but can't give out all my goodies!!!!!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Lower it too.

P.
he already has it lowered

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I started Drag Racing about 6 months ago and am just now getting it together some. Work on on ehting at a time. Get your launch down first, concentrate on the launch itself and do not worry about anything else. Next work on 60 ft times until you get 1.6 and 1.7's. Then work on reaction times, 60 foot time will come down slowly during this phase. Now that you have first 60 foot done there is only 1260 more feet to worry about. Watch and listen at the track you will learn a lot from other riders. When they stop giving you help you will know that they are starting to see you as a threat. Have fun and be safe.

I beat a Busa on my GS500E (racing brackets of course). I'll lay my money on a better rider with a slower bike any day.

When you get some practice, it will come (I red lighted and lost in the semi as recently as a month ago - it happens).

You'll find out there is no "predicting" in drag racing. It will run what it runs and that is often slower than what you think it will do. Seat time and learning your bike will gain you a ton of E.T.

When you stage, pay attention to the roll of the bike from the time it turns on the bulb. You will notice that you can just trip the light, and stop - or you can roll another inch or two before anything happens. You can use this inch or two to your advantage (who doesn't like an extra inch or two?). If you are worried about red-lighting - just trip the bulb and stop. That's a shallow stage. When you get the hang of it, you can stage well into the beam if you like (will raise your E.T. a bit but there are other benefits). To the casual observer, there's nothing going on but a whole world of things happen at the tree. We are the lucky ones that get to play the game.

Such a great post! Proof that the rider makes the bike - not the reverse. You'll get better with some practice and we definitely want to hear about your progress. Thanks for sharing!

Ride safe...

Such a great post!  Proof that the rider makes the bike - not the reverse.  You'll get better with some practice and we definitely want to hear about your progress.  Thanks for sharing!

Ride safe...
I agree. I've never been to the strip, either, and I can easily imagine the same thing happening to me...especially the fast ride home to take cover
smile.gif
. Thanks for sharing; it's relaying experiences like these that reinforce the feeling that we are not alone in dealing with anxious moments like you went through. With some more experience you'll be looking back at that night laughing
smile.gif

smile.gif

Back