MV augusta F4 1+1

Mr. Anderson

Donating Member
Registered
anyone have a lot of info on these. have a chance to buy an 2005 MV agusta f4 1+1 for 10k. LOW miles, seems like most owners dont ride em alot? 750 miles on the ODO. I've seen them on TV before. how is maintenance on these bikes? I am a shade tree mechanic and can do most maintenance items myself. is this a maintenance nightmare bike? I see they list for $21.5k new

don't worry guys I will be just adding this to the stall not selling the busa!

Last edited:
Best advice I can give you is go to the Mv Dealer ( as I recall it's the Kawa Dealer in Norman) and ask one of the Mechanics about maintance and problems (NOT A SALESMAN OR THE SERVICE MANAGER) ! Then you can decide if your able to do the work or not. Simple stuff may not be simple if you need SPECIAL tools (as in $$$) to do the work. As with my Ducati's, some maintance is just not practical for me to do, when your talking about spending several HUNDRED or a Thousand for the tools to do a once in 3 to 4 year maintance job (depending on how much you ride). Just simple stuff isn't hard, but the FI is something else if you need to check or set it often.

Believe me, setting or at least checking valves every 6,000 miles on a Duc is a Passion. And NOT for the faint. That's why I have a Busa, lots of miles and LOW service and maintance cost. Called "MORE FUN FOR THE BUCK" !! Plus it's FASTER :thumbsup:

DaCol.

Good point, forgot about the special tools. I was also pondering over a used '07 1098 that has about 7k in mods done to it. usual stuff, clutch mods and a full Quat-D exhaust. Which Duc do you own? I think the 1098's were supposed to have a lesser maintenance cycle on them also?

Busa1340, one of the cool things the MV has is a radial valve design.

MV%20Agusta%20F4%201000%20S%2005%20%201.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=25838&stc=1&d=1239026475.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you got a possible WINNER :cheerleader: there. Parts on Mv's can be hard to get and can take a long time to order from Europe (by you or your dealer as I understand) !

My Duc's:

And yes, the 1098 series is suppose to be a LOT less maintance intensive. How much, I don't know. But you can go to your BMW/DUC dealer over on Meridian and ask. The 999 was suppose to address the short valve checks and other things, and now the 1098 series is suppose to be better. But, Desmo Valves (no springs) still need to be adjusted. And until someone can figure out a way to have them adjust themselves, a direct cam to valve arrangement needs adjustments on ware. Remember these were orginally used because you can't have valve float issues. Then, it became a Duc legacy along with LOUD DRY CLUTCHES :rofl:

But, if your a Duc kinda Guy, then nothing else will satisfy you. But again on your Mv, if I had other bikes to ride, I would check the maintance records (along with WHO did the work -- I doubt the owner did - get it's history (where bought and who has owned it), and if it looks good then BUY :thumbsup: You'll have something Beautiful, Italian and when your at a stop light and look over and see another bike and rider just like YOU, THEN YOUR LOOKING at a MIRROR :laugh:

The feeling is NOTHING like you've ever experienced, sorta like driving a Ferrari, nothing else matters :whistle:

Last edited:
Ducati service intervals have doubled in time and mileage, that is a good thing. MV has a shrinking dealer network and if someone doesn't take them over soon, their future is questionable. And, yes, you will need special tools for maintenance, which, by the way, comes often. Buy the Duc...........

MV Agusta's are sex on wheels :bowdown: If you can add one to the stable for $10K without selling anything else, do it! I would in a heart beat :thumbsup:

It's a beauty alright. If you can afford to drop $10k on a garage queen then the maintenance shouldn't be too much of an issue. Nice to look at and prolly really nice to clean and wash. Bet it doesn't depreciate much either so not a bad investment?:thumbsup:

MV doesn't use a desmodromic valve system like the Ducati, so you don't have the same maintenance interval due to the necessity to inspect the shims.

You can probably speak to one of the service guys at Fast by Ferracci--they're friendly and extremely knowledgeable, since they not only won four championships for Ducati, but a few years back, they campaigned two MV's in the AMA Superbike series, and set the land speed record for a 1000cc bike on an MV. Plus, they still sell and service MV's.

Fast By Ferracci ® - Ducati, MV Agusta, Husqvarna, Moto Guzzi, Bimota, Vespa, Piaggio and Cagiva - Plus: High performance motorcycle and racing parts

PA is a ways away from OK for service. If you want it for art, buy it. If you want something to ride and is easier to get serviced, get the Duc. The last thing you need is a bike that will be a widow in a few years. Parts that are hard to come by and a non-existent service network would be a headache. I know, it IS a beauty, I thought about one myself a while back when they were selling them for $5,000.00 off retail and 0% financing for long term. But that sparked a red flag, and the dealers that were here are no longer selling the brand. Don't date a supermodel that you cannot sleep with.........Yes they do not have the Desmo system, but they DO have shims and they are hard to get at for servicing.

Last edited:
Additionally MV Agusta is still alive. Buell was closed, but MV Agusta is merely up for sale. H_D wants to sell the Italian firm to a new sugar daddy, but it is still a company that is operational and open for business.

I can recall reading a large,side by side,track based test including all of the 1K sportbikes for that year. Cycle World ,I think, they were calling it a cross between the Duc 1098 & the GSXR 1000- huge, managable, torque with top end pull only exceeded by the GSXR. Even the editors were shocked by what a great all around bike it was. Since reading the article,I would definately give it plenty of respect at any redlight and expect to get left behind in the twistys with a good rider:thumbsup: They also said that the bike was only a bit over priced based on its performance and updates

I've done the Italian bike thing for the sexy look, uniqueness, and the purr of the desmo v-twin. They do ride nice. But, the big problem that I had with them is the cost of parts and the expense if you would bang it up. The other thing is what would happen if you went on a road trip and the thing died. Trust me, trying to order certain parts for Bimota, Duc, and MV is a nightmare. The operative word is certain. Heck, you can built a darn Suzuki in a Wal-Mart almost. Being 300 miles from home with a broken-down Italian bike isn't fun. You do have to be careful in that regards---in all seriousness.

Some people love them, and I jumped on that bandwagon as well a while back. But for my main bike I love the Suzuki---I get my kicks with it, can ride it long distance, can mod it, and maintain it pretty inexpensively. I don't want a fussy bike sitting in the garage that is a money sink pit. But that's just me. If you have the spare cash then do it. But if things are tight in the budget department then I would beware.

Additionally MV Agusta is still alive. Buell was closed, but MV Agusta is merely up for sale. H_D wants to sell the Italian firm to a new sugar daddy, but it is still a company that is operational and open for business.

So far.........But they have been hit and miss in the past. Hell, even the big volume sellers are having a bad time, and who knows what will eventually shake out. And by the way, MV was for sale when H-D bought them as well, what does that tell you?

I guess you have enough opinions to last you a few days of thought. If you have enough money to risk, but there is more monetary bad news about to break, Greece is broke, and if they bankrupt with their Euro, all of europe will devaluate with them. Gold prices are set to drop within the next month or so and other metals will follow. I would hold on to what I have for now and ride this horse to the barn.........

Pure sex.. :drool:

+1....I don't care about the maintance issues or snigglets...that thing
is hot. I'd just make it all work somehow. The single sided swingarm
with the most killer exhaust...I WOULDN'T HESITATE. If it were my deal and
I had the cash, she'd be in the garage TONITE.

There are some things that just transend intellectual pros and cons...JUST DO IT.

Back