MV Agusta F4 has damn good brakes!

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
As a matter of fact the brembo brakes on an F4 Agusta is so good they will put you on your head or a$$ depending on the body position when contact is made with the pavement!

I spent my Friday (Yesterday) at Portland International Raceway. We had no School on this event but did offer instruction to those who ask. So it turned out to be mostly a play day for me, which I took full advantage of. Had a wonderful fun filled day while being entertaining at times by my goofy friends.

I rode most of all three sessions throughout the day other than taking a break for a burger and refreshments at noon. Just after lunch I witnessed first hand why strong powerful brakes may not be the best medicine for the average rider. It could very well be that Suzuki understood this when they gave us a fairly mild front brake.

Early afternoon I was romping around in the 200 level and just happened upon a beautiful MV Agusta F4. The rider was getting around the track pretty well and I'd classify him as above average. As we approached turn one which is a 90 degree righthander the F4 got in a little deeper than usual but no issues. He applied the brembo's but instead of slowing down the front tucked at around a buck forty and down goes the Agusta. He slid some 200 feet before running out of pavement. There is about 300 feet of grass before reaching the tire wall and the poor bloke came within about 30 feet of the tires before coming to a hault. Long a$$ ride on the seat of his pants. The rider was unscathed although his leathers took a beating but his pride and joy F4 looked pretty sad.

The point of my story is the rider had no issues with utilizing his Brembo brakes until he got himself into a little pucker moment and he didn't allow time for the front to load by squeezing the lever and locked the front which immediately pitched him. So keep in mind when you upgrade your brakes to one finger control you MUST BE IN CONTROL or you too can end up on your noggin!

However, the moral of the story is: He ran out of talent just when he needed it most! :beerchug:

I have been thinking a lot about this very issue since my latest ride on the roadside booty-slide. I was planning to upgrade my brakes to Brembos but maybe I just need to learn to use the ones I have better!

Any tips on practicing brakes on the road? I have access to some pretty safe back roads where it is safe to "play" and several large lots that are empty most times after business hours.

I recall going from a Ducati (with Brembos) to the Busa, and I noticed that difference immediately. However, I think you would get used to the brakes on any bike after some time in the seat.

first track day i did this year, a guy on that exact same bike wrecked on his first session. I didnt see it nor did i see him ride...I did however see the results..oh oh not pretty!
just have to wonder.

Very few people know how to properly use thier brakes , they need to focus on that allitle more in the safety courses .

Wow, it must have been something to watch a bike like that slide down the tarmac...

It is so important to understand how braking inputs will affect the bike. I've noticed on my bikes that my track bike, with the reworked forks/suspension, handles mid corner braking much better than my bikes with stock suspension.

The example that stands strongest in my mind is that last day we did at Spokane when I was feeling out my 600. A few times around the track I had to get on the front brake a little bit in corner #2. I noticed that this was a much more exciting sequence of events on this bike than my normal track bike. Normally a slight brake input mid corner would just send a little weight forward; the forks give a little bit but no real excitement to speak of. On the 600 a slight brake input mid corner was much more exciting. There seemed to be much more of a weight transfer to the front and the forks seemed like they were completely overwhelmed by that much weight coming forward. Consequently I was a little more conservative with the brakes on the 600. …which was probably a good thing beings it was still clad in factory body work...

You mean, his ambition outweighed his skill (aka Stoner to Rossi)...

Always progressively pull the brakes.Pull more as the bike comes closer to stopping.Guess its a comfort level.My father in law argued with me about this and said if I only use front brakes I would dump over.Not even in the dirt do I use rear brakes and never dump unless i do something real dumb.Its very easy to panic and just grab the brakes and I agree take these riding classes.They have a lot of good info.Shame for that Agusta.

Back