Muzzy Fan

busa_boy_69

Registered
Okay heres the scoop. I got the fan out today, drained and flushed the system, installed it, and filled it with engine ice. I got everything back together and after I started the bike up it began to run HOTTER than it did before. The temp jsut kept climbing and it was like the fan was not engaging. It did once but then after that nothing no matter how hot it got. I just read the instructions and realized that I did not install the gasket that came with the fan because I did not see it in the packaging. Do you guys have any idea what is causing the bike to run hot now? Could the gasket not being on there do that? HELP HELP HELP

Sounds like air in the system and no reconnections to the thermostat
wink.gif

(DaCol. @ Sep. 16 2006,16:46) Sounds like air in the system and no reconnections to the thermostat
wink.gif
Well I know after I shut it off there were a lot of bubbles coming up into the resevoir and the resevoir fluid dropped down pretty good. Does that sound like air in the system? What I can't figure out is why it was getting so hot and the fan wasn't kicking on. The fan did kick on once so I know it was working. Its like it did once and then didn't.

First you need to get the air out of the system, the bubbles prove their there ! Then tackle the fan problem. The air might be giving the temp sensor a faulty reading to kick the fan on. Just do one thing at a time before you tackle another. Your first, and most serious problem is the air in the system !!  
beerchug.gif

It's the air bubbles killin' you like the rest have said. Rock the bike, squeeze the hoses, run the bike with radiator cap to get it out and you should be fine.

OKay guys heres whats happening now. I just went out and pulled the fan off to check everything. Just to be on the absolute safe side let me ask.....once the fan unit is back on you should feel air blowing out the back of it from the radiator right? I just wanna make sure I didn't put it in wrong but it seemed like there was only one way it could go. If you should feel air blowing away from the radiator towards the back of the bike then everything as far as the fan goes is okay. The thermostat and fan control plugs are snug and in place.

Now after checking the fan again I started the bike and let it run for a good ten minutes. At first of course it went to the normal spot and stayed there for a few. Then the temp began to rise again. NOW the fan did kick in but for some reason it kicked in at a slightly higher needle positioning than it did before. But once it kicked in the temp seemed to drop SLIGHTLY. Then it began to rise and the fan kicked on one more time. This time it didn't even come down it kept rising.

Just a question though my bike has been on a rear stand this whole time. BIG BS you said to try rocking the bike do you think it needs to be tilted to get the air out or something?

I know when i researched doing this mod everyone said it would take about a jug and a half of engine ice and mine only took 1 jug. I am wondering if I just have a big pocket of air or something. I did squeeze the hoses the second round and the bubbles stopped coming up in the resevoir.

I can't put my bike back together until I figure this out. This SUCKS. I did this to make it run cooler and now its running HOTTER.

yes..lean the bike back and forth several time while running...way over ...get help if you need it !

BTW ...take the fan back off and nstall the thermal pad/gasket as you asked in the first post.

keep heat cycling the bike...the air will work it's way way out ... by the way...when you flushed it, did you use DI water and vinegar as suggested? also.. you didn't mix any water with the E.I. did you? A completed drain and fill should take 1-1/2 containers of E.I.

Just did a drain and flush and it took 1-1/2 bottles. You will have to take it off the stand to rock it effectively. When on the stand I prefer to run it with the cap off, shut it down, squeeze the hoses to remove any air and then repeat.

quit worrying man, its just air in the system. once you get it out, it will cool properly and the fan will come on when its needed. if you ask me though, that engine ice is just a waste of money. i used it and couldnt tell any difference. prestone 50/50 works just fine for me.

(BusaCruise @ Sep. 16 2006,20:00) yes..lean the bike back and forth several time while running...way over ...get help if you need it !

BTW ...take the fan back off and nstall the thermal pad/gasket as you asked in the first post.

keep heat cycling the bike...the air will work it's way way out ...   by the way...when you flushed it, did you use DI water and vinegar as suggested?   also.. you didn't mix any water with the E.I. did you?   A completed drain and fill should take 1-1/2 containers of E.I.
Alright I didn't take it off the stand earlier so maybe thats the problem. I gave up on it for tonight because it was getting late. I will be back on it first thing tommorow.

I really hope everyones right because if not I don't know how to fix this.

I did take the fan back off earlier and put the gasket in it. When I flushed it I did use DI water and I didn't dilute the engine ice. After running it for a second time after reinstalling the fan it took a little over one jug.

(psycobusa @ Sep. 16 2006,20:37) quit worrying man, its just air in the system. once you get it out, it will cool properly and the fan will come on when its needed. if you ask me though, that engine ice is just a waste of money. i used it and couldnt tell any difference. prestone 50/50 works just fine for me.
I think thats what it is to but its worrying me because I can't seem to fix it. I let it run for like 10 minutes and squeezed the hoses. The bubbles stopped coming up in the resevoir so I thought I had it out and it still was overheating again.

OKay update for anyone who was curious about this. All you guys were right it was just an air pocket. I had the bike on a rear stand all of yesterday. I took it down this morning and the resevior just EMPTIED. I sat on the bike and shook it back and forth and it finally got it all out of there and the operating temp was totally normal. I let the bike run for 20 straight minutes without moving and it stayed put.

Although I have to admit I think this was a waste of money. I see NO difference whatsoever in the operating temp AND the fan comes on just as frequent. Ah well its already on there now so no biggie I guess.

Glad you got everything working. You may not recognize the difference right away, but you'll see it.

Back