Must wear seatbelt but don't need a helmet , why ?

It should be about choice when it comes to personal safty,I wont injure or kill anyone else by not wearing a seatbelt or helmet.

Insurance is a must to atleast take care of the other person if you cause a wreck.

Helmets and seatbelts should be by choice,Most of these laws are money makers for the states.

We have the seatbelt law but no helmet law if over 18 and have endorsment on your DL.

Maybe the gov should keep people from jumping out of planes,that looks dangerous.:whistle:

I believe it is two fold:

1) If you have a seatbelt on and you die in an auto accident, it is pretty much case closed - nothing to investigate. However, if you are not wearing a seatbelt and you crashed, it could be contributed to a multitude of things.

2) Car manufacturers. I think Busa had it pretty close on his reply and it is almost identical to what I was thinking. It is really cheap insurance, a deal between law enforcement and car manufacturers. If you are wearing a seatbelt and die, as above it takes liability off the car manufacturer. Let's face it, if you wreck in a Mercedes with no seatbelt, you most likely will come out ok unless it is you rolling off a cliff or getting in a really bad crash because they have airbags in the front, top, side doors, headrests, etc. You wreck in a yugo or a FORD :laugh:, with no seatbelt and you are probably dead because they are cheap POS.

you almost got the entire picture blanca, its about the money and control. The "we know what is best for you, crew". Instill fear, and push laws in the name of saftey, all to make the almighty dollar. Its not about saftey at all!

bingo!

Here in Connecticut, a/k/a "the insurance state," there is no helmet law for adult riders or passengers.

When it comes to our laws and politics, follow the dollar and you'll find the answer.

I also firmly believe it is about money .... belted car drivers and passengers statistically suffer less injury than unbelted. Who stands to gain financially? The insurance companies who pay less for less serious injuries and less required treatment.

Helmeted motorcyclists tend to survive, albeit with some pretty nasty injuries requiring lots of extended expensive treatment. Un-helmeted motorcyclists in accidents typically don't cost that much to pronounce dead & are a great source of organ donors.

Back