musical gas tank

fritch1969

Registered
after shutting the bike off the gas tank builds up pressure and whistles, did anyone ever notice this with their bike ?

Yes mine does it all the time. In the mountians we get big temperature swings. Either direstion the swing causes the gasoline to expand and contract. Mine has a faint whistle as air leaks through the cap gasket. It took me a long time to find it too. When you ride the bike for a while, I'll bet the engine heats up the gas tank and when you shut it down it cools off and whistles.

I feel the need to bring back the topic of the annoying whistle. Is there a way to stop it? Is there a vent clogged somewhere?
This has to be the most irritating sound I have found outside of a blown motor.

I rode the bike in the cool evening air for it's first ride since my ownership. When I got back to the garage I let the bike run while I listened for any abnormal noises. I'm thinking I have a noisy clutch that Busas are known for. I thought I had a bearing going out
SHOCKED.gif
That noise calms down a little when the clutch is pulled, but it is a hydro clutch (A toy I know little about).

After I satisfied myself to some degree with the engine I shut the bike down only to hear THE WHISTLE BLOWING. It went on for what seemed to be forever. I wanted to see just how long it carried on, but I couldn't stand the noise and finally popped the cap.
The tank had pressure. It literally sucked air when I lifted the cap.

OK - enough with the book - What can I do?

Help me
bowdown.gif

Sounds more like when you let the bike idle, it heated the fuel. This would cause fuel vapors to build. I think the vent or overfill is above the seal of the cap when closed. So the whistling would be the vapors escaping by the cap, untill you relieved the pressure by opening the cap.

I think thats a typo on (tank had pressure but sucked in air).

Is there a way to correct the problem. I've been riding bikes my whole life and have never had one that whistled at me.

(Revvv @ Feb. 26 2007,00:flamethrowing:) I feel the need to bring back the topic of the annoying whistle. Is there a way to stop it? Is there a vent clogged somewhere?
This has to be the most irritating sound I have found outside of a blown motor.

I rode the bike in the cool evening air for it's first ride since my ownership. When I got back to the garage I let the bike run while I listened for any abnormal noises. I'm thinking I have a noisy clutch that Busas are known for. I thought I had a bearing going out  
SHOCKED.gif
 That noise calms down a little when the clutch is pulled, but it is a hydro clutch (A toy I know little about).

After I satisfied myself to some degree with the engine I shut the bike down only to hear THE WHISTLE BLOWING. It went on for what seemed to be forever. I wanted to see just how long it carried on, but I couldn't stand the noise and finally popped the cap.
The tank had pressure. It literally sucked air when I lifted the cap.

OK - enough with the book - What can I do?

Help me  
bowdown.gif
come on now that means its tea time . Everyone knows that . Jolly good ole chap
jump9.gif

People may not believe it, but there is a winter grade gasoline. It has a higher vapor pressure for easier starting. It also means it vaporizes easier. More heat = more pressure.
Sorry I dont have a better answer.
New bike? If used check to see if the insulating pad is on the bottom of the tank. That pad stops heat tranfer from the motor to the tank.

(06BUSA @ Feb. 25 2007,22:flamethrowing:) People may not believe it, but there is a winter grade gasoline. It has a higher vapor pressure for easier starting. It also means it vaporizes easier. More heat = more pressure.
Sorry I dont have a better answer.
New bike? If used check to see if the insulating pad is on the bottom of the tank. That pad stops heat tranfer from the motor to the tank.
Bike is a 2003
Pad is in place. That was the first thing I thought of.

This is a California Bike with the Cali Canister. Will it matter if the canister is removed?

dunno? I think the canister may contian carbon. Which sucks up the excess fumes from getting to atmosphere. Might whistle through it.
I still think the whistle is from fumes pressuring around the cap seal. My bike even does it. Usually happens after I walk away. Heat going straight up and all. Heat soak

when I top off my bike with gas. I see gas leaking at the bottom for a short period of time. If I dont top off there's no leak. My question is. Is it normal?

2007 Black Hayabusa Calif bike, 3400 mi. everything in Perfect order, Heat shield, Cap Gasket, etc. all vents are unobstructed, Still Has this darn ANNOYING Whistle while you Park!!! Tired of popping the cap to relieve its indigestion. Have yet to see or find a Solution to this Issue? I Had a 2006 Hayabusa White Ltd, NEVER had this Problem!. If anyone has found a Practical SOLUTION, Let us Know ASAP, for Sanity sake. Thank you.

Are you sure the vent tubes aren't clogged?

Thats what i was thinking. Does the busa have an EVAP system?
Since 1971 all vehicles have had fully sealed fuel systems that do not vent directly to the atmosphere. So your tank should be completely sealed.

On cars, vapors from the fuel tank or carburetor bowl vent are run through charcoal canister. The vapors are adsorbed in the canister, and when the ecu reads certain parameters (operating temperature at cruising rpm and part throttle) a valve opens and vents the pressure and stored fumes into the intake/throttlebody to be burned.

If the bike has one, your solenoid or valve could be malfuctioning or the vent tube could be clogged. I know nothing about hayabusa's yet, as i just bought one. But i am an ASE certified master technician. So forgive my ignorance if im wrong.

Back