Mushy Brakes?  A couple of Thoughts...

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
Hey All Been Gone all weekend good to be back.

I picked up my Busa from it's 600 Mile service Today, when I took it in I asked the Mechanic to bleed the brakes, he sort of looked at me like I was stupid but agreed the lever was mushy.  Well Lo and behold, the brakes feel about 100% better, seems that they had yet to be bled.  So before jumping to Galfer or Goodrich just yet, give them a good bleeding.

Seriously has made all the difference, still not CBR929 good feel wise but hella better...

good idea...get yerself a "Mighty-Vac" or similar , an' bleed them lines , all of 'em . brakes f/r , clutch . As soon as yer fluid shows any discoloration , that means air/contaminants have entered the system . Not to mention air right from the factory , as was the case here .
MAKE 'EM BLEED.....

Speaking of brakes... I have yet to install my new pads and lines, but if one can afford them I think Brembo is the way to go. I test rode Aprilia Mille a couple weeks ago and WHOA! The instructor told us they were 1 finger brakes and he wasnt lyin! Unreal! Felt like I was endo everytime I touched em. They definately take some gettin used to.

Hey All Been Gone all weekend good to be back.

I picked up my Busa from it's 600 Mile service Today, when I took it in I asked the Mechanic to bleed the brakes, he sort of looked at me like I was stupid but agreed the lever was mushy.  Well Lo and behold, the brakes feel about 100% better, seems that they had yet to be bled.  So before jumping to Galfer or Goodrich just yet, give them a good bleeding.

Seriously has made all the difference, still not CBR929 good feel wise but hella better...
Bleeding the brakes was a great call on your part!! The braided brake lines will save you from brake fade as the brake fluid gets hot and the rubber lines expand because of the heat.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

Thanks Howlin,

I am not saying the Busa doesn't need the braided lines, not at all, Mikeyusf has them and the lever feels much firmer. I was just trying to point out that everyone clambers for the Stainless right away when a simple bleed might do the trick.

I will still be getting some stainless soon though, if nothing else they look tight and definatly improve feel if not absolute power.

Bro wasn't shooting down what you had to say. I totally agree with you. If you aren't hard on the brakes then you don't need the lines.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

I bled mine last weekend and what a difference, I got one of those hand operated pumps and cleared out all the old fluid, the pump sure made it easier to get all of the air out of the lines. The lever is much stiffer now with much better feel.

Hey Revlis is your brother going to meet up with us for the ride down to PPIR next week?

Maybe someone can help me out here. I just recently completed putting my bike back together. I have new brake pads all around and new Goodbridge braided lines. I also have a MityVac to bleed the lines. I was able to bleed the rear lines and clutch on the first try, but for some strange reason, I can't get the front brakes to get firm. I tried using the MityVac at least five times on each wheel to try to get the lines bled, but I'm having no luck. Then I tried the conventional way by having someone pump the brakes and hold them, and the brakes still won't stiffen. Does anyone have anymore suggestions as to why this may be happening. I put the calipers back together myself and they are not leaking or anything. Please give me some feedback as I am in dire need for some help. Thanx for any help in advance.

Brian

<span style='color:orangered'>THunderpants</span>, I kinda screwed my Bro over, forgot to tell him about my plans for him...
rock.gif
I will let you know ASAP what he has to say.  I would vote for 83 personally, good road to go blasting through, and then folks could angle through Parker and avoid most of the T-REX stuff.  Wish I was out there.

<span style='color:blue'>Howlin,</span> I knew what you were saying, I gotta make myself a little less vague... No sweat, I'll work on that, basically I was agreeing with agreement...
sarcasm.gif

Revlis, not too much of a hurry, there is still another week. I am heading down on Friday and Sunday. I think we are going to have different meeting places for the two days.

Bacharles, you may have some air in the crossover line between the front calipers unless you got the dual lines from Goodridge. I took the reservoir lid and put some vacuum pressure on the bleeder valve and had a friend pull on the lever to make sure I got plenty of fluid through. When it came out consistenly I tightened the bleeder valve with the vacuum pressure still on. I did right side(as you are sitting on the bike) first then did the other side. Then fill the reservoir full and put the cap back on and pump the brakes a few times. Then refill the reservoir if the level has dropped any. If you installed the new lines you may still have some air bubbles in the lines. Hope this helps.

Thanx ThunderPants, I'll give it a try. Upon closer inspection of my lines, I noticed that I used the OEM brake bolts on the rear brakes and the clutch. The bolts that came with the lines seemed to be rather hard to put on. First I'll try putting the original bolts on the front lines and see if it helps, then I'll go onto the suggestions made by TPants.

Brian

Back