MTC, Hays or Gann

Good vid. There's a whole slew of things that come into play with these. He references slider quite a bit, but that's okay.

Believe it or not, alot of us don't run all of the statics. I only run 3 of them and make all of the tuning around the dynamics. The initial hit he is mentioning for us isn't really from the statics, it's a combination of the statics and the first stage of the setup. Mind you this all depends how you have it setup.

Hayabusa thin fibers need a handful cheapest price?
Don't want to buy the "complete" oem set because I only need thins
I only use the OEM fibers and don't worry much about thick and thin fibers. I make my adjustments with thick and thin steels. When I can't make further adjustments to get back to stack height using steels, then I'll switch out a fiber or two for new ones.

I only use the OEM fibers and don't worry much about thick and thin fibers. I make my adjustments with thick and thin steels. When I can't make further adjustments to get back to stack height using steels, then I'll switch out a fiber or two for new ones.
I do pretty much the same. It works out price-wise that just buying a few of the OEM kits from Ebay or Amazon is fine. I've bought some OEM steels a good prices from time to time but not always available. Cycle Concepts fibers and steels are just as good as OEM but anymore they cost as much or more. You can use the one thick fiber every now and then instead of several thick steels. It all comes down to hitting your preferred air gap, no matter the combination of thick/thin. Of course this assumes everything is in good usable condition.

I have ~25 fibers +-.0005 of .119
looking to round to a number that "makes a even set" also
adjusting stack height. I grind valve shims +-.0001 for valve adjustment

If I need to grind a thick steel or two to get the required air gap/stack height
so be it

I think you'll find that getting the 'recommended' gap that MTC has in their instructions will be really easy. That's with a starting point of 1.717 stack height

Also! Measure your stack height with warm fibers and steels.. not room temp. You'll find that if you just make 1.717 cold, then come back back the pit and if you didn't burn the clutch much, rhe stack height will be taller when warm.

Now that you’ve owned the mtc for a while. Are you happy with it? Does it do okay on the street?

I’ll be turbo, doing roll racing and also some cruising on the street. After I’m turbo my guess is that I’ll want to spend more time at the track than anywhere else.
Not great on the street
I mean you COULD ride it
but open the throttle a bit too much and the clutch starts slipping
for street and roll racing I would do a gen 1 lockup

Looking at the companies Hays and MTC both look like winners. The company sticking around is important to me and hopefully both can stick around.

I’ll probably buy from RJ at 1 Stop Speed and he sells/supports MTC. He’s been good to me and I’d like to keep supporting him.

The clutches are similar enough and this same style of clutch is even used by some stick shift car racers.

Skip to the 15 min mark. He says there are 6 arms with a bolt that holds counterweight in the form of a washer. Each washer weighs a gram and he’s adding weight to hold the extra power. Sounds identical in concept to me. :)

Looking at the companies Hays and MTC both look like winners. The company sticking around is important to me and hopefully both can stick around.

I’ll probably buy from RJ at 1 Stop Speed and he sells/supports MTC. He’s been good to me and I’d like to keep supporting him.

The clutches are similar enough and this same style of clutch is even used by some stick shift car racers.

Skip to the 15 min mark. He says there are 6 arms with a bolt that holds counterweight in the form of a washer. Each washer weighs a gram and he’s adding weight to hold the extra power. Sounds identical in concept to me. :)
And now the cars are flying that they are using this style clutch. They have always had them just now they are get popular in this type of racing. I remember my buddy had a clutch like this about 15-18 years ago in his outlaw 10.5 car

This is with a gen2 mtc... installed and set-up by the builder. i have put 4000 street miles on it and havent ever personally had the clutch cover off the thing. It functions EXACTLY how a stock clutch feels, with the exception of when u put more than 4000RPMS from a dig and go WOT... there is SOME slip if u release the clutch hard and try to go WOT... but it locks up almost immediately. You really have to work it pretty hard to feel that slip at all . The way its setup.... on the street.... its incredible. probably made 10 hits on the dyno and alllllll those street miles. locks up pretty good. There are static springs and dynamic springs and weight can be added to the arms to put more pressure and hold big power. MTC Tech Tip: Gen II Clutch Tuning. I think the more experience one has in setting up this clutch the better. It surprised me... If i let you ride this bike, i would bet u wouldnt be able to tell it had a clutch in it until u started to get very aggressive.

View attachment 1658242

View attachment 1658243
Hi. May be you could give me you set up as I also have an MTC Gen 2 but I have the one with air assist. 1 lb air = 3 lbs of lock up. If you want 508-496-3312. Thank You.

Quick access clutch covers are made to be able to tune the clutch in between rounds. If you have never had the clutch cover off you should have just brought a Brock’s clutch mod and put heavy springs in it. Also you said that like a flex, it’s not a flex and demonstrates incompetence if you ask me.

I emailed Hays. they never responded and don’t have a phone number listed. They lost my business.

MTC has their phone number on their website. I called and spoke to an intelligent individual who answered all of my questions. Sold.

Tim Hays is really smart but pretty sure it’s Still just him, so he don’t always answer the phone. I think the hays is way more adjustable than the Mtc but Mtc is a bigger company, more ppl use it, so it’s easier to find knowledge and get help and at the end of the day, most ppl don’t care “how” it works, just “that” it works.

Back