MT MCR2 vs. 003 US vs. 008 slick

:thumbsup:

Excellent!

My 60's were not that impressive but I was seeing better consistency with My MCR2s than the other tires I ran. I don’t remember your wheelbase, but you might be able to bump the pressure a bit more on the MCR2 and get a bit more MPH. They do not take near the burnout to make them hook.

For something in between the MCR2 and the 003 Shinko, you might try a Power Race.
I’ve ran MCR2s, Shinko 003s, MCR(original design) and the Power Races. After my MCR2 source dried up, the Power Races provided me the best bang for my buck. I was never over 61”s however so you mileage may vary.

I'm not sure what ever happened to the Michelin Drag tire based on the Power Race that Richie was saying was in the works. I've also not kept up with what the new power one is doing at the drag strip.

Prof,
I'm at +8" right now, and do intend to start working the tire pressure up to see what I can get away with.

For those of you who think the decision on a tire should be 90% cost driven, here are a couple of thoughts I had on the way into work this AM.

I figure each pass costs me the following:
$1 of nitrous
$1.50 of Sunoco 93 octane pump gas
$8 gas to tow the trailer
$8 Admission
$.40 chain (replaced every 200 - 250 passes)
$ 9 engine rebuilding at end of season
$1 miscillanious
$.30 Shinko Tire OR $1 for an MT MCR2

Thats a total of almost $30 a pass to race a very close to stock motorcycle. Depressing but true. ???
The cost of the MCR2 is possibly $.75 more. Is that really were you should be saving money? You would save much more money by driving your trailer to the track at the speed limit for a change. :whistle:

our 1/4 mile track only lets us use dot tires, so no slicks, the ultra soft is what me and 19 others are using here...and I think one busa is still running the stock battle axe...lighter isnt always better in some situations, and if the tire is taller or shorter then you are no longer comparing apples to apples as there are 2 factors in play not one

The weight of the Shinko has never made a difference to any of our bikes. I run the 008 Slick because it hooks like a barbed eagleclaw. I spun all the way thru the 1/8 on some of the others. The 003 U-soft is good if your bike is extended or you make plenty of horse power. The 003 Stealth is the perfect all around dual purpose tire. It lasts long on the street but gets sticky when you need it to.

Anyone try the Dragtech yet? I tried the MCR2 and it gets pretty sticky with just dusting it off. It aint the cheapest tire. :laugh: I get Shinkos at a good price and they last longer. It does not hook like the MCR2 though. I do have a Shinko 008 on my other bike and it hooks well but is a good cheaper alternative for a track only tire. My MCR2 looked totally different after three passes.

You may want to lok at a Michelin Power One 190/50/17 rear. It has been 7.40s,hooks just as good as a Mickey but last as long as a Shinko.

Somones Nitrous tanks are leaking in the basement. Lots...:whistle:

For anyone interested in data, the Mickey is 1" longer rollout than the Shinko. Thats another 200RPM for the traps.
For anyone interested in data, The Mickey is 3 pounds lighter. That was good for almost a full MPH in the traps.
For anyone interested in paychecks, I hear McDonalds is hiring.

the SHinko is a great choice for the racer that is NOT competing for the last little thousand of a second....it is over $100 less expensive...and will work FINE for for most racers!!!

The MCr2 is and was and always will be a tire that was designed for drag racing..actually it was made for the Prostreet class...it has a soft compound that WILL not last long...and cost around $250.00 plus shipping...we sale the 008 190 for $134.00 to your door...and guys lets get real....it WILL be all you need for most applications....unless you have a bike making sitting at 68 making 500hp..... We sell the 003 ultrasoft for $134.99 TYD...nd it has been 7.80's on a 64 inch turbo zx14....in competition...and has been on the same bike that has won every race since November 2008 in the Super Street class in AMA Dragbike.

here is a link to a video

- Jones Performance Shinko Motorcycle Tires 7.89 ET Pass[/url]

- Going the Distance! WPS/Shinko & Jones Perf. Wins it all at AMA Dragbike![/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Awsome vid im saving it thanks!!
Im going indy prostar that vids got me craving the action.

prostreet+top fuel my 2 favorites 2 watch.

Last edited:
Somones Nitrous tanks are leaking in the basement. Lots...:whistle:

For anyone interested in data, the Mickey is 1" longer rollout than the Shinko. Thats another 200RPM for the traps.
For anyone interested in data, The Mickey is 3 pounds lighter. That was good for almost a full MPH in the traps.
For anyone interested in paychecks, I hear McDonalds is hiring.

Very nice info... :beerchug:

Back