MSF cost? Ridiculous?

Theirs! Its ran by local colleges here in Illinois. You cant beat it. I give alot of people that are hesitant to get a bike for the first time, a chance to give it a shot and see how thay like it without investing alot of money. Illinois is actually pretty motorcycle friendly. No helmet laws are and licensing the bike is pretty cheap. You also get your Illinois endorsment after passing the class. You just take your certificate to the DMV and your done.

<!--EDIT|GSXTacy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139080250 -->

I have ridden for over 35 years and I took the course with a friend that was just starting to ride. You'll learn things no matter how long you have been riding and you will remember to use skills that you have but may not be using out on the road.

Do it

Kent

Well sounds like I paid a big price, but I completely agree that if I learn at least one life saving thing, it's worth it. Still though, after hearing about prices less than 100, I feel kinda ripped off. Then again, one guy had to pay 300. I didn't shop around at all though for it, I just signed up for the one I live right next to. I can literally walk to the course part of it, though the riding part is a town over.

Edit: I looked at every single website for MSF courses in Mass and they pretty much all cost the same give or take 20 bucks, which is ok.

<!--EDIT|kdawg31337
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139082562 -->

I just registered for an MSF basic course, and it cost me 275 dollars. Is that ridiculous or normal? I really hope I get my money's worth here. I'm just going based on advice I saw on this forum, and how you learn very helpful things that you normally wouldn't. I mean, I know how to ride already, so hopefully they can tell me some information I don't know.
Depending on what type of tracks days are available in your area a day at the track under instruction will be worth more when it comes to riding, unlike the MSF course you will learn to hit the brakes at high speeds.

<!--EDIT|manatrader
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139087878 -->

which time free while i was in when i was 18 it was 20 and they want you to donate it but then i took it and got some beer

Let me also say that’s only if you have been riding a bike for awhile, for newbie’s take the MSF course, $200 here in WA, you can get it for $50 but the waiting time is crazy. Sent my wife to it, I will take here to the track this summer, track days for women, she needs to learn how to corner at higher speeds.

Depending on what type of tracks days are available in your area a day at the track under instruction will be worth more when it comes to riding, unlike the MSF course you will learn to hit the brakes at high speeds.
My vote would be to take the MSF Basic Rider Course before the track day. I'll buy off on using the track day (with proper instruction) instead of the MSF Experienced Rider Course.

The MSF course teaches the proper technique for high-speed braking, but it is only practiced at ~ 20 mph or less. Yes the track day would be a great place to build on it.

Another great perk considering military personnel get the course for free.
ss011.gif

free for military
Not in Ohio.....$25 for everyone
Ohio might charge you the $25 but the Government is required to provide you the training. Some installations have their own training program, some pay for the training. Some a combination (ours is a combination) of the two. Some use other nearby installations to provide it. Some don't have a clue and don't enforce the requirement. However, you are required to have it and they are required to provide it. All it takes is talking to your safety office and elevate accordingly. I doubt if you will be reimbursed for any previous training. If your installation is not providing training, please get the balls rolling. Too many of our military members are being injured and dying in motorcycle accidents, some of which could be prevented with training. Do your fellow service members a favor and get them to start requiring and providing the training!

DODI 6055.4 E3.2 Covers motorcycle training

E3.2. MOTORCYCLE SAFETY (HSPG NUMBER 3)

E3.2.1. Operators of Government and privately owned
motorcycles (both street and off-road versions) on DoD
installations must be appropriately licensed to operate
on public highways (except where not required by the
SOFAs or local laws). A valid U.S. Government Motor
Vehicle Operator's Identification Card (OF-346) or a
Unit Level Logistics System (ULLS) Operator Qualification
record fulfills the licensing requirement for operators
of tactical motorcycles.

E3.2.2. Where State or local laws applicable to the
installation require special licenses to operate privately
owned motorcycles, motorized bicycles (Mopeds), motor
scooters, or ATVs, such license requirements, as a minimum,
shall apply to operation of those vehicles on DoD installations.

E3.2.3. Before operation of any motorcycle, personnel
shall successfully complete an approved rider or operator
safety course.
This training requirement excludes
those operating motorcycles with attached sidecars and
three-wheel motorcycles.

E3.2.3.1. The safety course must include the following:
the appropriate Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF)
or Specialty Vehicle Institute of America (SVIA) or
MSF-based State-approved curriculum taught by certified
or licensed instructors; hands-on training; and a performance-based
and knowledge-based evaluation.

E3.2.3.2. Training required by this Instruction shall
be provided at no cost to military and DoD civilian
personnel. Personnel shall not be charged leave to
attend training required by this Instruction.

E3.2.3.3. Additional performance based evaluations
may be required for off-road recreational operation
of privately owned vehicles or vehicles controlled by
morale, recreation, and welfare organizations on DoD
installations. Privately owned ATV and off-road motorcycle
operators should complete training. Operators are
also encouraged to complete refresher training before
each riding season or after long periods of inactivity.

E3.2.3.4. Curriculum and proficiency training for tactical
motorcycles will be tailored to satisfy specific mission
objectives. Operators will have previously completed
a safety course as required in the above paragraph E3.2.3.1.

i paid $650.00...but that was bec i wanted it to be a private class during days that they dont normally offer it (mon-tue)...it was awesome, it was just me and the teacher. i think it was well worth the money.
cool.gif

90 bucks here in VA. (Hampton Roads), had some guys drive down from MD & NY to save money on the class. And that was last year.

yep... when i was living in mass.. that was teh going rate for the begiiners class...
the advanced class which was the one day.. and you had to provide your own bike...

however.. you dont have to take the driving test at the rmv in mass... you get a certificate and you can mail it in.. so you automatically get your motorcycle endorsement.. also som insurrance compaineis will give you around 10 percnet discount on your insurance... my friend said he learned alot about going into the corners and coming out of them.. also some basics about braking... he new more than half of it.. but he was glad overall he did take the class..

stick with it..

When I took the basic I think
wink.gif
it was $125. But of course that was probably when $125 equaled $200
blush.gif
. I think my Last (Experienced course) was $75 , but it's now taught in conjunction with our College Systems in Oklahoma so it might be cheaper here
smile.gif

Damn!!!!!!  Here it is (get this) $20!

And that is refundable, though they ask for you to donate it so they can use it for maintenance on the bikes.......
Yepers....good ole Illinois...cost me $20 and the twenty was actually refunded at the end of the course or you could donate it a get a free shirt....yeah I'm rolling with a MSF shirt

I think I paid $175....and rode their bike....that was for the basic class....they had a advanced class that you could ride your own bike....the certificate for DMV was only for the basic class
smile.gif

Back