MSF cost? Ridiculous?

kdawg31337

Registered
I just registered for an MSF basic course, and it cost me 275 dollars. Is that ridiculous or normal? I really hope I get my money's worth here. I'm just going based on advice I saw on this forum, and how you learn very helpful things that you normally wouldn't. I mean, I know how to ride already, so hopefully they can tell me some information I don't know.

I just registered for an MSF basic course, and it cost me 275 dollars. Is that ridiculous or normal? I really hope I get my money's worth here. I'm just going based on advice I saw on this forum, and how you learn very helpful things that you normally wouldn't. I mean, I know how to ride already, so hopefully they can tell me some information I don't know.
Alot of it is real basic stuff....but how much is your life worth? If you learn just one thing that could save you from a serious accident it would be the best $275 that you ever spent.

Check with your insurance company, some of them will give you a discount on your rates for safety training  
wink.gif

In some areas demands set pricing. Some are subsidized by the state in which they reside. Some are paid by the state totally. You have to put up a deposit and it is refunded after you successfully complete it. In Oklahoma we charge $150 for a 2 day BRC. That is the going price in the area. It is not state subsidized. Is it worth $275? I think so. Less than a good helmet, about the same as a decent jacket. However, it may protect your life more than the rest. I’m not saying choose one over the other, it is just part of the price of the hobby!

It starts out a bit slow at first but the basic techniques transfer over to more serious sprot riding. Pay attention and enjoy yourself!!

I enjoy working with the new students but it is really something when I get a 20-30year rider and at the end of the class he comes up a tells me he has been doing it wrong for so many years. How, everything is so much smoother now. How they see they could have prevented an accident they had years ago if they had this training.

It is rewarding! Besides, I get to practice by doing demos all day on the Busa!

I WENT THROUGH THE M V A /DMV & IT COST ME 125.00

Damn!!!!!! Here it is (get this) $20!

And that is refundable, though they ask for you to donate it so they can use it for maintenance on the bikes.......

It kinda depends. The one I took was through a dealer ($275-5 day) and a lot more comprehensive then the one given by the state ($45-2 day).

I think it's well worth the cost though. You'll be come a better rider AND driver.

After 30 years I got my MC certification again in Michigan last year. The MSF course in Lansing via the Alpha Training Center (very good) was $95.

not to sound like a jerk or anything but like these guys said...it is worth it and highly recommended, although i have never heard of someone paying that much for the class i wouldnt show up to with with that mentality of "i already know how to ride" and i cant believe i paided this much for this class. it wont help you out much if go into it with that additude. It is going to start out really slow for you if you already know how to ride...they are literaly going to take you out to a bike and say...this is a clutch...this is the brake so on and so on...but it gets better! You will get something out of it believe me! I have not met anyone that didnt take something away from a MSF course...:)

I went in 03 while I was stationed in Hawaii. It was $150 at the college and the nice thing was on the 3rd day you took the actual driving test. If you passed you just went to the DMV and got your license. Yes it was free on the military base but the waiting list was long and after the course you had to go to the locals and take the test.

$350 here on Long Island NY. best 350 i ever spent. 3 day course from get this fellas... "Trama" Motorcycle School [in Queens NY]. definately helped me not panic when as a new rider cruising over a hill to find an A'hole "backing up" !

Each state is different, MSF does not set the price. The school sets the price. Try different schools in your area. You may save a few bucks. Some states run the program and some states let MSF run the program. I know here in Florida each school charges differnt prices, mainly depends on the area. When I teach in South Florida they charge anywhere from 225 to 300. But when I teach in Central Florida it is more in the range of 175-200.

As far as the class goes, keep an open mind and do not get discouraged at the speed of the class. The best thing for you to do is enjoy yourself. Keep an open mind and do not have an attitude of these guys or gals cant teach me anything I already know.

I have tought riders that have been riding for years and at the end of the class they come up to me and thank me because they have learned so much that they didnt know.

Think, 275 for the class, and you just learn one crash avoidance skill that can one day save you and your bike, how much is it worth then, priceless in my book.

On another note have you looked into the Experianced Riders Course (ERC) in your area, its a one day course and you do it on your own motorcycle. Im not sure if MA accepts that graduation card as an endorsment approved card. But you never know.

Well bro, have fun and enjoy the heck out of the class. Post up after you took the class and let us know how it went.

Dave (Coach)

Damn!!!!!!  Here it is (get this) $20!

And that is refundable, though they ask for you to donate it so they can use it for maintenance on the bikes.......
+1 OK so there is something good about Illinois! LOL And you still get the T-Shirt!

<!--EDIT|GSXTacy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139079482 -->

Back