MSF Basic boring?

miserycaptain

Donating Member
Registered
I read lot of good about it but as an experienced rider, is there much to be gained. I am going tonight at 6:30 and all day Saturday and Sunday. I hope to get some good info but wanted to hear from you that know what I am getting into for 3 days :whistle:

What ya think? I don't claim to be a knowledge bank but I have some years riding on the rubber side. Fortunate to point for me!

Dave

Probably pretty boring. Don't they have an advanced course in FL? They have one up here in VA, might be less boring...

Have an open mind. I have many experienced students that take the course and learn alot. I also have many "know-it-alls" too. Its frustrating to argue with a student who claims to have been riding for 15 years and has terrible habits.

There is alot to learn from the course.....make it your stepping stone. After that sign up for the ERC and learn some more! Good Luck.

Just remember....the course is designed to teach someone who has NO CLUE how to operate a motorcycle. Be ready, the first few excercises will be riduculous to an experienced rider.....

DD

Definitely should have taken the advanced - the instructors will be more geared along the lines of correcting your bad habits than teaching you how to accelerate from a stop, come to a stop and turn. I took the advanced after 14 years of combined dirt/street riding and it was a great class. I couldn't imagine being in a basic class after even 2 or 3 years of riding. Basic is just that - basic! It's great for teaching your kid or wife that wants to learn to ride (you know the type, the one that dumps the bike just sitting on it and dismounts without putting the kickstand down) but the advanced class would definitely have been of greater value to you.

If you learn one thing then it's worth it. Never hurts to have to much knowledge to survive the roads.

With your experience you might be able to teach someone else some survival tactics. Could be one less accident you end up driving by some day.

Have an open mind. I have many experienced students that take the course and learn alot. I also have many "know-it-alls" too. Its frustrating to argue with a student who claims to have been riding for 15 years and has terrible habits.

There is alot to learn from the course.....make it your stepping stone. After that sign up for the ERC and learn some more! Good Luck.

Just remember....the course is designed to teach someone who has NO CLUE how to operate a motorcycle. Be ready, the first few excercises will be riduculous to an experienced rider.....

DD

I completely agree. I have had a lot of students with years of bike time tell me they got a lot out of the BRC. I would say that I get something out of it every time I teach. If nothing else you practice the basic skills that often turn into bad habits over time. I think you will enjoy it. If you are a good rider the students who are new will look to you for information and probably ask you a lot of questions. Set a good example for them and enjoy yourself.

It's worth it...it will be boring and basic, but if you learn just ONE thing (and you will) that may save you from injury or death = PRICELESS :thumbsup:

Excellent, I am taking this because the laws changed here in FL back in July. I failed to get my endorsement prior to that and drove in FL on a permit for a year. I am not a pro rider and I am very open minded to learning. The MSF Basic course is required here to get the endorsement so I am just legitimizing myself:whistle: and learning at the same time. Thanks to all!

Dave

Excellent, I am taking this because the laws changed here in FL back in July. I failed to get my endorsement prior to that and drove in FL on a permit for a year. I am not a pro rider and I am very open minded to learning. The MSF Basic course is required here to get the endorsement so I am just legitimizing myself:whistle: and learning at the same time. Thanks to all!

Dave

Take it with the attitude that you want to learn the current curriculum and then sign up for an instructor (RiderCoach) course.

neither course will teach you to survive on the street. The courses are aimed at education of your bike, its capabilites and how it should be handled on the street. These are under "normal" and possible situations and in most situations the instructionals are vocal only. Ask your instructor if you can have a lesson on how to properly pick a bike off the ground, but state you want to see it done or better yet allow you to do it yourself. Most places won't....too much liability.

However, I guarantee that many experienced and licensed riders can not ace every aspect of even the beginner's class. Many riders can not perform the figure 8 in the allotted space.

neither course will teach you to survive on the street. The courses are aimed at education of your bike, its capabilites and how it should be handled on the street. These are under "normal" and possible situations and in most situations the instructionals are vocal only. Ask your instructor if you can have a lesson on how to properly pick a bike off the ground, but state you want to see it done or better yet allow you to do it yourself. Most places won't....too much liability.

However, I guarantee that many experienced and licensed riders can not ace every aspect of even the beginner's class. Many riders can not perform the figure 8 in the allotted space.

Hope I never have to pick the bike off the ground. That would suck! But, I can do it as I have picked up heavier ones, correctly when they were dropped! I get this adrenaline thang goin!!!!:banghead:

neither course will teach you to survive on the street.

Unit IV is just that, Street Strategies.

This part of the curriculum discusses: Lane Positioning, Being visible to other traffic, RiderRadar, Stopping Distance, Acronym SEE:Search,Evaluate, and Execute, Conflict at intersections, Riding in blind spots, Negotiating Curves, slow-Look-Press-Roll, parking, effectively going over obstacles, night riding, front and/or rear tire skidding, swerving, passengers and cargo, etc......

For someone who knows nothing about riding.....learning this portion would be vital!

Back