MSD SB6 vs. Dyna DRL400 vs. MSD Launch Master

Which is the best for street/strip? Easy install? Most bang for the buck?

All opinions welcome.

For street/strip the Dyna was good for me. Went to a full drag setup now so I will make you a great deal on it cause it's just sitting on the workbench.

Sorry I was mistaken. I have the DRL-300 as I just used the stock ECU for the upper limiter. If you have stock IGN you only need the 300.

I have the launch master on my turbo bike. It launches so hard off the line that it takes a while to get use to. The unit is adjustable to 9900 rpms , but it makes the fi light flash. The sb6 has more features for tuning but its not as simple to set up.For a street/strip bike the rpm limiter is cool and could make a chump look like a champ.

I know one guy here that can run 7's on a Wednesday night track... Call Ryan

Schnitz Motorsports, Inc He will can probably help you spend the right money where it belongs..

sad to say that most of the turbo bikes I have seen run can barely if at all outrun naturally aspirated bikes (rider is everything)

Last edited:
the problem i had with the msd box was you cant ease out on the clucth lever at all to get in that sweet spot were you start to feel the clucth just before the launch,With out the rev's going thru the roof. I was coming un glued alot out off the hole. Ive found a way to fix that problem. I can keep the box activetd now for about the first 5-6 feet holding the rev's at the set point just long enuff to get the bike moving. If your interested let me know and I'll give the details. Its kind of a lengthy explanation.

I just went through a week of trouble shooting on a bike to find a brand new SB6 was creating, voltage issues throwing 5V sensors out of wack and so forth. Unplugged the SB6 and all problems went away hours wasted.

I think another member on here was stating troubles with the SB6 late last year...got his problems worked out, but I think a MSD tech actually helped them w/tuning right at the track.

kinda had this debate awhile ago myself...have a Lauchmaster sitn in the box, was thinkn about upgrading to the SB6 but mine is a street-first, strip-2nd bike so I think I'll stick w/the quik-n-easy setup mebbe when I do more serious motorwork the SB6 will be able to earn its keep, n hopefully MSD will have all the bugs worked out:poke:

Okay can somebody who has some experience using the msd launch master explain a few things to me...I have one of these units and after install I noticed that it trips the fi light after the first use (and stays on....so annoying) and it also made my air shifter miss gears (auto shift from mps). I got so annoyed that I just took it off and my bike was fine. I called msd and they said that the 08 busa will run normally with the fi light on, my question is though: does the ecu have a secondary map that runs in response to the error code? I was told no by a few guys I know but I can hear a noticeable difference in the exhaust tone when the fi light was illuminated, am I crazy? Also as far as the air shifter goes, has anyone encountered this issue with the shifter missing/timing off after installing a launchmaster? I'm debating putting the thing back on because I'm going to run a turbo on the bike but I hate that bright fi light and the whole shifter missing thing. Any advise/explaination?:please:

Back