MSD launch

Isonblade

Registered
Good evening,

I run a Hayabusa turbo motor in a kit car, I have been considering the MSD launch control.
On the car I obviously do not have a clutch switch, my question is how do you guys think/recommend I should operate it if I fit one, I had considered a non latching switch on the gear lever I just release at the appropriate time, how much delay is there from seeing the signal to actually allowing full revs?

I do need some sort of launch control I cannot achieve consistent starts, been a turbo it either bogs down or lights the rear tyres up, maybe 1 in 10 starts are currently good, it's such a balancing act between clutch & throttle.

Do you think MSD would work for me?

Good evening,

I run a Hayabusa turbo motor in a kit car, I have been considering the MSD launch control.
On the car I obviously do not have a clutch switch, my question is how do you guys think/recommend I should operate it if I fit one, I had considered a non latching switch on the gear lever I just release at the appropriate time, how much delay is there from seeing the signal to actually allowing full revs?

I do need some sort of launch control I cannot achieve consistent starts, been a turbo it either bogs down or lights the rear tyres up, maybe 1 in 10 starts are currently good, it's such a balancing act between clutch & throttle.

Do you think MSD would work for me?

I have the MSD launch control on a 1000 Gixxer. You just need a switch to ground. Could be a button on your steering wheel or some other handy location. I thought maybe off the brake peddle. Or a relay activated when you release the brake. But probably not a good idea. If you ride the brake you'll activate the MSD launch control. It's a simple hook up. Probably a few options I won't think of since I'm on two wheels. But this may give you some ideas...
Will it work for you? Only one way to find out. They work very well on a bike. I installed mine in 2010. And it's still kickin...

What's the time lag if any from the signal to remove the rev limit too removing it, if that makes sense?View attachment 1620478
There is no lag. If there is it's certainly not noticeable. Like I said mine has been around a while. The part number for mine is 4350. Looks like that is still available. Don't know if MSD has a newer version.

I agree with @Popie put it on a momentary switch that activates the circuit when pushed. As soon as you come off the button the motor will start climbing.
I ran one off the clutch switch and never had an issue.

Is this cart set up on the stiff side of suspension ??
Quite soft, plenty of trye wall, these cars been so light don’t do well with firm suspension and low profile tyres.
I compete in “sprints” in a road legal class which requires road legal tyres, no tyre warming is allowed, with over 450bhp available in a 500kg car on cold road legal tyres getting a good start is not easy.

Asking due to stiff suspension makes for breaking lose tire . Good luck on your quest

Syvecs, it’s not launch or traction enabled, they want pretty much as much to enable it as a new Ecu, this would be a much cheaper option

I’m no electronics guru so have to ask why, if I’m going down the wrong road I would rather stop before I start too spend.

my limited knowledge had me assume this MSD comes into play after the Ecu by plugging into the system after the Ecu but before the coils, I little like a power commander does?

I believe that's right, and that's why it won't work for you. You could look at using a dyna ignition, depending on how much the ECU reflash is.

I believe that's right, and that's why it won't work for you. You could look at using a dyna ignition, depending on how much the ECU reflash is.
Could you explain in layman’s terms why not, I’m not arguing the point just don’t understand?

if it’s interrupting the signal to coils but after Ecu I don’t understand why it wouldn’t work?

Could you explain in layman’s terms why not, I’m not arguing the point just don’t understand?

if it’s interrupting the signal to coils but after Ecu I don’t understand why it wouldn’t work?
Because it needs to see the clutch switch through the ECU to cut the coil signal.

Back