Mr Bush......

delboy

God save the Queen.......
Donating Member
Registered
Watched the world news this morning, Mr Bush was talking about taking steps to stop shootings in schools in the US. Strange he never even mentioned restricting guns.  
rock.gif

Now before all you gun toting good old boys start, I used to own a few 12 gauge shotguns for hunting, but some a##hole in Scotland  shot dead over ten kids at a school, so the gun law was changed making it almost impossible to own a gun without major restrictions. Sold the guns, just walk the dogs now without a shotgun, shame but it has stopped kids getting killed at school.

Any comments gratefully recieved  
argue.gif

beerchug.gif
but know calling me a "weird pinko commie ba#tard"  
biggrin.gif

Taking away the personal weapons from private America would be impossible . It's part of our Constitution . Why not just improve school security .....like they have in the airports since 911 .

Well then that will leave home made bombs, or a can of gasoline and a match or some other improvised weapon! You folk have no crime over there "A"? Do they put sedative in the Perrier
rock.gif
all_coholic.gif
argue.gif
guns.gif

More Gun Control isn't the answer. There is a saying that has been around for decades. "When you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns" By removing all registered guns from their owners all you are effectively doing is leaving them defenseless. Criminals do not register their guns because there are already laws stating they can't legally posess them. If they don't conform to the laws already in place what makes you think they will conform to a different set?

Murder is already against the law...HELLLO MCFLY.

Any additional law making it illegal to own a gun is ignorance. What's that like double secret probation?

It's already illegal for the criminal element (felon) to own a firearm, taking them away from an honest citizen just leaves us defenseless.

Make punishment of crimes with guns SEVERE.

As far as little Johnny getting daddy's gun and going to school, it's daddy's job to make CERTAIN no one gets his guns without his permission. It's his responsibility as a gun owner and should he fail, he's as guilty as his kid is for pulling the trigger.

Mine sit in a 650lb safe bolted to the concrete. The nightstand, closet, or dresser drawer is not good enough when kids are present.

There are millions of avid gun owners that enjoy the sport of shooting and collecting firearms without incident. You can not legislate out crime. No law passed can eliminate murder. As someone above stated, there are other ways. Look at Kansas City with a trunk load of diesel fuel and manure...took out half the building and the daycare. Maybe we should ban diesel fuel and cow sheet. 911 another example...

Life happens, tragically sometimes. I am extremely appauled at the recent shooting invovling our children. Tighter security is (IMNSHO) what is needed as well as a little more parental participation in our childrens lives.

(MoosesBusa @ Oct. 11 2006,05:flamethrowing:) More Gun Control isn't the answer. There is a saying that has been around for decades. "When you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns" By removing all registered guns from their owners all you are effectively doing is leaving them defenseless. Criminals do not register their guns because there are already laws stating they can't legally posess them. If they don't conform to the laws already in place what makes you think they will conform to a different set?
+1

With so many options for would-be "terrorists", from knives to home made bombs, I seriously doubt gun control would do much to curb the problem at hand.  If someone wants to bring harm to innocent people, they find a way. Plus, as mentioned, most of these guns aren't registered, so criminals aren't the ones out there trying to do things the right way to begin with...

Nope, it needs to begin AT HOME with the parents.  When there are warning signs with kids, others need to speak up about that child...far too often these things occur and only afterwards do friends and family crawl out of the woodwork to tell all the warning signs they've seen...parents need to be involved in what their kids are doing...my .02 worth...

Plus, this is America!  According to one of my favorite comedians, Eddie Izzard, "WE HAVE ALL THE GUNS!!" as he pokes fun at just how gun happy America is; that's not going to change IMHO...
wink.gif

Who can make our schools safer??

PARENTS

Not laws, no law will ever make our schools safe.

Maybe everyone should carry a gun.

You know, that "Mutually Assured Destruction" thing?
smile.gif

p.s. I used to live in Knowle/Bristol in the UK and encountered more crime there than when I lived in New York City!

(MoosesBusa @ Oct. 11 2006,05:flamethrowing:) There is a saying that has been around for decades. "When you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns"
This saying goes way back.

Deo Optimo Maximo

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults

I am both a LEO and a Military Officer. I feel that everyone in the states who has a clean record, takes a safety course and buys a gun should be able to carry one. That would put a thought or two into the small minds of the Gang Bangers.

But, that's just me.

Paul

(VaBusa @ Oct. 11 2006,06:10) With so many options for would-be "terrorists", from knives to home made bombs, I seriously doubt gun control would do much to curb the problem at hand.  If someone wants to bring harm to innocent people, they find a way.  Plus, as mentioned, most of these guns aren't registered, so criminals aren't the ones out there trying to do things the right way to begin with...

Nope, it needs to begin AT HOME with the parents.  When there are warning signs with kids, others need to speak up about that child...far too often these things occur and only afterwards do friends and family crawl out of the woodwork to tell all the warning signs they've seen...parents need to be involved in what their kids are doing...my .02 worth...

Plus, this is America!  According to one of my favorite comedians, Eddie Izzard, "WE HAVE ALL THE GUNS!!" as he pokes fun at just how gun happy America is; that's not going to change IMHO...
wink.gif
God I miss you sweetheart.

All is well.

Paul

(Lazerblade @ Oct. 11 2006,13:06)
(VaBusa @ Oct. 11 2006,06:10) With so many options for would-be "terrorists", from knives to home made bombs, I seriously doubt gun control would do much to curb the problem at hand.  If someone wants to bring harm to innocent people, they find a way.  Plus, as mentioned, most of these guns aren't registered, so criminals aren't the ones out there trying to do things the right way to begin with...

wink.gif
God I miss you sweetheart.

All is well.

Paul
smile.gif

gun control has never worked, it never will work. there is no way anyone can know how many guns are owned.

(Lazerblade @ Oct. 11 2006,10:05) I am both a LEO and a Military Officer. I feel that everyone in the states who has a clean record, takes a safety course and buys a gun should be able to carry one. That would put a thought or two into the small minds of the Gang Bangers.

But, that's just me.

Paul
"numba One, make it so!"
piccard.jpg

So, what can we do to get this idea rolling?

I hate it every time a mass shooting or something like it takes place. Not only for the innocent that are hurt, but for the ridiculous idea that the gun caused it.

"The Second Amendment.... Americas Original Homeland Security"

OK ......Deldewey.......I wouldn't bring up that subject again , unless you want your name changed to MUD.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Oct. 11 2006,10:13) Who can make our schools safer??

PARENTS

Not laws, no law will ever make our schools safe.
+1000. The issue is not gun control. This issue it the total of respect and disipline in today's youth. Futhermore, there are advocates that tell our children, "If you get a spanking, that is child abuse and you can tell us". What they don't explain is that when that happens the child is typically removed from the home.

People need to stay out of individuals lives.

JMHO

Don

This is just a quote from John R. Lott, Jr. article called "Banning Guns has Backfired"

....The government recently reported that gun crime in England and Wales nearly doubled in the four years from 1998–99 to 2002–03.

Crime was not supposed to rise after handguns were banned in 1997. Yet, since 1996 the serious violent crime rate has soared by 69%: robbery is up by 45% and murders up by 54%. Before the law, armed robberies had fallen by 50% from 1993 to 1997, but as soon as handguns were banned the robbery rate shot back up, almost back to their 1993 levels.

The 2000 International Crime Victimization Survey, the last survey done, shows the violent-crime rate in England and Wales was twice the rate in the U.S. When the new survey for 2004 comes out, that gap will undoubtedly have widened even further as crimes reported to British police have since soared by 35%, while declining 6% in the U.S.

The high crime rates have so strained resources that 29% of the time in London it takes police longer than 12 minutes to arrive at the scene. No wonder police nearly always arrive on the crime scene after the crime has been committed.

Back