MPS Air Shifter will not shift under Load.

JokerDawg

Registered
Not sure what I have done...followed all instructions on install. When I press the horn button the engine actually kills and air is flowing but it doen't shift under load. Not sure what the problem is. If I am parked and holding the clutch in I can shift through all of the gears using the air shifter. HELP I HAVE FALLEN AND CAN'T GET UP!!!

Is your air pressure high enough to make the shift under a load? Is your bike stalling after hitting the button? Or is it just killing for too long? More details will help.

Its cutting the fuel out right??How long is it cutting out for and did you use ecu editor to set the time??

I will have more information for you after this evening I am going to make some adjustments on the pressure as well as the kill time.

Increase the kill time. You should start in the middle. Turn it all the way to the left and then count the turns to the right. Back up half the amount and start there.

Also keep in mind it will not shift if the back wheel is spinning.

First: what kind of shifter setup are you using? Kill box, or ECU edit?

Next step is to make sure that it is actually killing the bike.

Disconnect the air line or empty the system of air completely, start the bike in neutral and rev it to about 3k and hit the shift button. You should hear the engine hesitate or "kill" if not, then you need to figure out why

I have a similar setup. 3 things could be causing this condition under load.
1- If its killing ignition then the regulator needs to be set for a higher pressure. I run mine @ 140 psi
2- Not enuff kill time. If your using ecu editor(like me) I have mine set @ 40 m/sec.
3- This has happened to me. Where is your pressure valve located is under the tank or is located on the air cylinder?
I originaly had mine under the tank and after a few races it would'nt shift under load,it shifted going up the return road. Found out that it was too hot under the tank and it would swell up the seals on the valve. I got some brass fittings and mounted it right on the air cylinder. I hope this helps in solving your problem. good luck

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am making headway. The problem is not completely gone it still will shift from 1 to second but after I get it into second it shifts with no problem. I am thinking the pressure is not where it should being that I have the MPS highpressure C02 system. Doing more tinkering tonight hopefully I can kill the gremlin. I really appreciate all the help guys and or girls.

Make sure the ram pivots freely and is not in any kind of bind. Turn you kill time all the way up and go down from there untill it won't shift then go back up a little. Proper pressure is key. I'm using air and keep it at 130psi before I make a pass. Also make sure there are no leaks. Soapy water works good for checking. You should mount the solenoid as close to the ram as possible for a quick shift. I have mine placed under the coolant overflow resivoir.

Last edited:
Never use your air shifter while parked with the clutch in or in neutral to start. You WILL bend the shift forks. Always apply counter force to the shift lever so that it doesn't slam the shift arm when you actuate the air shifter. You may have already done the damage.

Thanks everyone for all of the tech help! The shift cylinder ram was in a bind. I have the Muzzy bracket and it's designed for the stock rear sets and I have Vortex adjustable rearsets. Bascially, back tracked and found a leak at the bottle, moved the solenoid closer to the shift cyclinder put a spacer on between the Muzzy bracket and the shift cylinder. I took it out for a quick ride last night and BAM I am shifting. Couldn't get on like I wanted to but I was able to run it up to 9000 in first and it made the shift. I need to adjust the kill to which I will be doing Friday night at the track. Again, thanks for all of your help.

Back