mps air shifter shifting up and down

3WheelerMod

Registered
Thanks for taking a look at my post. I think I have a unique situation but I am hoping someone can help me. I have a custom 3 wheeler and the engine is a busa engine
The engine is in the back so it had a shifter in the cab that used a cable to shift the gears. I have had a lot of trouble with being able to use this to consistently shift the gears. Currently, I am designing my own "paddle shifter" using and air shifter kit.(mps)

I have not seen anyone who has used both ports on the shifter cylinder to shift both UP and DOWN. I would assume it would be as straight-forward as
having two electric air vales, connected to a single bottle. Hit one button, shift up, hit other button, shift down.

What has me a bit troubled is the MPS site says: (referring to the shift cylinder) - http://www.mpsracing.com/instructions/MPS/Sport_Air_Shift.pdf

"....To determine which air cylinder port to use shift the non-running bike from 1st to 2nd gear noting which direction the shift cylinder moved. If it pulled, put the fitting in the port nearest the cylinder clevis. If it pushed, put the fitting in the port closest to the pivot mount. Make sure nothing is in the port that is not used. It must remain free and unobstructed...."
Long description …. Anyone out there using both ports on a shifter cylinder to allow you to shift both up and down? If not, for those of you using an air shifter, any thoughts about if I would use both ports with 2 separate electric air valve, is this possible? Or could I damage the shifter tube?

Thanks
Todd

I don't think there would be any damage to the tube and yes this is possible to do. You would have to make sure that you move the piston ram so that the piston itself is closer to the center with the adjuster to ensure it has sufficient movement up and down. The other thing you will have to check is to make sure the solenoids that you use vent on the cylinder side when they are not active. Meaning air will travel out of the opposite solenoid when not actuated. For example, the lower solenoid is activated to move the piston up, the upper solenoid should be venting out port 3 freely.
I'm assuming you are using a foot clutch? So you would clutch, then hit the paddle? You're not using the engine kill to do it right?

Correct... I bought the kill switch mechanism... but initially I am going to keep it simple and go with the ffoot clutch

Back