MPG

OB_Hyper

Registered
This bike is thrifty! After making the trip out of the metroplex and attaining a indicated 185+ at approx. 10,000 rpm during one open stretch of open interstate, I decided on the return trip to take it easy.

No hot rodding, no speeding because I was stopped last week and given a warning, this time the bike never got above 4000 rpm and for the most part ran at about 3500 rpm which is a indicated 67 mph. Traveled 120.2 miles and refueled with 2.1 gallons = 57 MPG and that milage was done with Texaco 87 octane. I typically run 93 octane and see triple digit speeds every time I ride which makes the bike return low 40's to hight 30's MPG. We should all send our thanks to Suzuki for giving us the fastest and quickest production bike in the world, which is capable of also with restrained use of the throttle, 57 MPG.

I will conduct this again if I can be calm and ride within the speed limit.

I was thinking about posting an MPG discussion, you beat me to it!

I'm getting 35-42 MPG, but I'm also making a point of only riding the twisties and around town -- I want to give the bike the best break-in I can and, as I understand it, highway miles are not the path to break-in perfection.

Fortunately (wonderfully!) the twisty parts of the road are right on the edge of where I live. I did over 100 miles yesterday, and I think that the longest straight section I encountered might have 3/4s of a mile long.

during break in so far, I'm only seeing something like 30mpg in the city...we'll see when I get out.

Hyper, didn't know you were so close...I'm in the College Station area.

I got 36 MPG cruising at 100mph coming back from thunder valley race way in OK. It was
1 tank of gas and 1 & 3/4 hours

So far I've put on just under 300 miles, and the average MPG is 39.x. It's been pretty consistent. This is a combination of city and highway, with perhaps 2/3 of it on highways and curvy side roads.

You have to give the engineers at Suzuki a lot of credit for the tuneing of the Hayabusa. My mileage has been as high as 47 mpg on high speed interstate rides 85-100mph avgerage. As low as 34mpg usually in city/town traffic. An overall average of 40mpg. I have just a little over 4,000 miles on the bike and expect to replace the rear tire after 5500 miles.

I’ve got about 3000miles on my Busa and I average about 32.5 MPG. That is with a combination of hard riding in the twistys and hiway cruising at 85 MPH. I should mention that I tip the scale at 285+ but haven’t found this to make that big a difference with other bikes. I’d appreciate any opinions on my low MPG.

Big Ed, don't feel like the Lone Ranger about getting low fuel mileage. I am also getting 32-35 MPG. I don't understand how it's possible that folks are driving the way they describe and getting 47 MPG.

<<<My mileage has been as high as 47 mpg on high speed interstate rides 85-100mph avgerage.>>>

It's hard to imagine that the same bike, in the same state of tune, can get such differing results. Either we're running rich, or they're running lean, or . . . ?

Falconer, I was as shocked as you with the 47mpg. The Hayabusa has differant mapping in the upper gears(5&6) than the lower gears. Did you cut your PINK wire(gear position sensor)? I am leaving in the morning for another trip and it is a high speed scenic tour to New Hampshire to the races and I expect at least 44mpg.The Busa is always in front, my buds on Ducati 900ss's were getting 20mpg on our last sortie, remember they are always spinning their engines tight so they are in their powerband and if they dont, when the Busa makes a move they are sucking wind and dropping a couple gears.The big zuke makes so much torque it's like rideing with an automatic transmission. At 85-100 the motor is turning a nominal 4500-5200rpm in sixth gear. What a motor, ya got to love it!!

okay, i've been reading this posting from day one. i gotta tell ya, there may be different reasons some get better mileage than other's. mine get's 31 to 33 mpg around town. haven't done enough highway riding to find out for sure for a full tank. but, keep in mind, if your going from the two trip meter mileage readings, this may or may not be accurate. the best way to figure it is to gauge how many gallons you put in after your last fill up. if you fill up to the same point in the tank, check the number of gallons you put back in, then figure the total miles since the last fill. can't get any more close than that. have fun.
p.s. who the hell buys these things for gas mileage anyway? wooo hooo
mike

After installing my 2-bros and afjusting my fuel mapping, I get around 23 mpg in the city under hard acceleration. :(

Are you guys sure you arent running on diesel-HAHA. I have 1,200 miles on mine and according to the mpg gauge i have gotten 27 overall.

Just in case you are interested, my '99 model Suzuki TL1000R got 45.5mpg in the run-in period, now gets around 51mpg and it doesn't seem to matter how hard I ride.

Freeway seems more efficient when you first think about it, but something about wind drag at freeway speeds and the "sweet spot" of the motor in higher revs (these beasts are not meant to be most efficient at 5000rpm guys!) means that I get slightly better mileage when riding hard through the hills...

My friend's R1 gets 54mpg average and again he says it doesn't seem to matter how hard he rides it - on the street of course. Racetrack and inner-city might be different though.

Just did a 1400 mile trip averaged 42.5 mpg over highway/backroad type driving.That includes a 1.5 hour sustained at 100mph .With a shot up to 180mph insanity blitz .Northern vermont rt 91 just incase your curious.

I also have been getting 37-38 MPG all around driving.
But, I agree with one other post--who cares?
I drive my '68 Pontiac GTO on weekends and it
needs 100 octane and gets about 9-11 MPG and only does 13.5 1/4 mi. times. Its all relative.
Have fun, be safe.

You can track every tankful of my Hayabusa's consumption over the last 2000 miles (as of June 28) and it's update at least once a week. You'll find it at
http://members.tripod.com/Suzuki Hayabusa

I've had an average of just under 37mpg, including first 500 miles at 5000rpm and next 500 at up to 8000rpm. Having fun on twisty roads on my way to work and back each day I'm getting 30-33mpg.

Just a comment. Noticed that the fuel indicator display on the Busa is approximately 2.5 miles optimistic (if you double check its work).

RD

At 1150. miles I am getting 43.3 mpg.
One time at 200. miles on trip meter I got 51.2 mpg.
Most of the time I just do the speed limit, becaus that's the law (HA HA HA), but I have gotten it up to 200 on the speedo and popped a couple of wheels in first gear. :)
Just love this bike.

i check fuel consumption on every thing i own not because im botherd but if you check your fuel consumption its a good way of telling ive the car/bike is running something like. bye the way my bus returns 40ish mpg you yanks should not worry about such trivial things like gas cuz here in the good old UK we pay $5.32 per english gallon
that meeens it costs me $82 to do 300 miles
in my dodge minivan ! scary OR WHAT.
. JUST ANOTHER F***ING EXPENCE I CANT AFFORD (JAFEICA)thats our affix for our boxer dogs we show

Back