Moving to the mountains in Dec/Jan

gwhunran

Donating Member
Registered
I just got back from a couple of job interviews in the Western part of Virginia. One for a teaching job in Tazewell, VA and the other in Buchanan, VA near Roanoke. I currently live in Virginia Beach, a area of heavy traffic and flat, mostly straight roads. I ended up getting offered both jobs, and picked the one with the highest pay(Buchanan). Both locations are in the mountains, with mostly mild traffic and anything but flat straight roads. I will be moving there and starting the new job in middle January 07. I don't officially retire from active duty until March 07 but I will have 70 something days of Military Leave (vacation) built up by then so I can start the new job before officially retiring.

Are there any .org members residing in this area?

I will be trying to get a house in the "sticks" if the wife cooperates, so my daily commutes will be fun, and the sound of rifle and handgun fire won't disturb the neighbors.

I'm in Stuarts Draft. Coming from Richmond to 81, I'm RIGHT where the 2 interstates meet.

I remember going by the exits for Stuarts Draft. That's not too far from where I'll be living.

Last year I rode until mid February, when I broke my wrist. I used heated gear and was plenty warm even in 20 degree weather. Will it be safe to ride through most of the winter in the mountains? I realize that when it's been raining and the temps are hovering around freezing it would not be the smartest time to ride, but if the temps are above freezing where I'm at, do I have to worry about some areas being iced(higher up) while the lower elevations are fine?

Just play it by ear... If it's cold and rainy, I don't ride... I rode last year in 20* weather, with snow on the grass. I drove the truck around town for a few days to see if there was ice, if there wasn't, the bike was out. Just keep an eye out for ice, and you should be alright.
wink.gif

Your main problem will be the DEER, DEER and more DEER. You'll be right on the doorstep of the Jefferson National Forest. Watch out for 'em especially in Nov -Dec. and Jan if ya ride.

RTe 43 is cool. Also the Parkway is close but is just fer sightseein. I frequent Smith Mtn Lake which is south of Roanoke in bedford county.

beerchug.gif

I will be teaching at the High School right on Hwy43 and the James River Bridge. I hope to have some influence on reducing the deer population, but not with the bike.

Plenty of roads around...I don't let alittle snow and ice from keeping me from riding.
smile.gif

park_way__Medium_.JPG

Back