Moving to Germany

Mouth

Registered
I'm moving to Mannheim here in the next few months. I finally got a job over there. The Busa and 1K will follow after the magician is done working on them... :laugh: Hopefully I will meet some fellow Busa owners out there. If anyone knows of any good rides let me know. Also if anyone has any tips or cool travel spots share those too!

EXACTLY!! Waiting for my bikes to get out of the shop and shipped is going to be killer. I want to take the 1K around the Ring too.

Tip number One. Things happen real fast at 130+ Mph. It's much different when you have been bombing down the Autobahn at those speeds for a while (complacent) and something happens up in front of you. Look a half mile down the road and if you see brakelights you better be ready.

Tip number Two. Get yourself a set of leathers and a helmet that match the color scheme of your bike exactly. That way you will fit in with the locals.

Tip number Three. Stay in the right hand lane unless you are passing. The trucks over there will stay in the right lane until they want to pass and due to the low Horsepower engines and many geared transmissions will not hesitate to move into the left lane to pass in an instant. Watch for it.

Tip number Four. Ensure your bike is in perfect mechanical condition and keep it that way. Germany requires strict annual inspections (TUV) and at the speeds you will be traveling any mechanical problem can kill you.

Tip Five. It is a pleasure to drive in Germany compared to the US because the Autobahn is awesome, the drivers are well trained and they follow the rules. German Politzei have no problems busting you for breaking the rules and you pay many euros up front if you get a ticket.

Tip Six. They have cameras with radar everywhere, even in the Autobahn overhead signs. There is no recourse but to pay the ticket so be careful!

Tip Seven. If you can gain access to a US military base you can get really nice German Spec used cars for cheap off of the military lemon lot.

Tip Eight. Get good rain gear!

Tip Nine. Make sure your tires are up to european specs.

Tip Ten. Have fun, I envy You!

I was stationed there twice, once at Noervenich for two years and once at Buechel AB for 3. The first time I had a 1987 Supra Turbo. The second, I had a 1986 BMW (Germans say BMV) 320I Alpina with a 635CSI engine shoehorned into it. That is 250 normally aspirated Horsepower in a tiny car. I remember racing along the backroads at 100mph plus in the Fall with the leaves swirling behind my car and saying to myself "It just doesn't get much better than this"

Enjoy!

130 along the Autobahn, sounds like the interstate around here :laugh: Best of luck on the move and enjoy yourself :thumbsup:

You are lucky, in spring summer fall its riders heaven. Winter sucks, get some heated and rain gear before you go over. German people are great people, its a great country to live in for a while. Dont drink and drive/ride,,,, ever. Listen to Zucher above very sage advice. Kitzegen 83-87 3ID.

BTW The beer is awesome!!!!! Try some Warsteiner, Budwar which is Czeckoslovakian Budweiser which is my personal fave. Also, in Northern Germany around the Cologne area (Koln) you cant beat Dom Kolsch. If you ever get to Koln, go to the Altstadt area along the Rhine river near the Dom Cathedral. There are two bars you have to visit. the Meter Bar and the Beir Museum. You can get all of these on draft and they taste amazing. Bitburger beer is very popular but it is not my favorite. The Dom Cathedral is truly an awe inspiring sight. First German phrase to remember is "Zwei beir bitte`" That's two beers please. Oh and take the train. Once again, I am jealous.

Tip number One. Things happen real fast at 130+ Mph. It's much different when you have been bombing down the Autobahn at those speeds for a while (complacent) and something happens up in front of you. Look a half mile down the road and if you see brakelights you better be ready.

Tip number Two. Get yourself a set of leathers and a helmet that match the color scheme of your bike exactly. That way you will fit in with the locals.

Tip number Three. Stay in the right hand lane unless you are passing. The trucks over there will stay in the right lane until they want to pass and due to the low Horsepower engines and many geared transmissions will not hesitate to move into the left lane to pass in an instant. Watch for it.

Tip number Four. Ensure your bike is in perfect mechanical condition and keep it that way. Germany requires strict annual inspections (TUV) and at the speeds you will be traveling any mechanical problem can kill you.

Tip Five. It is a pleasure to drive in Germany compared to the US because the Autobahn is awesome, the drivers are well trained and they follow the rules. German Politzei have no problems busting you for breaking the rules and you pay many euros up front if you get a ticket.

Tip Six. They have cameras with radar everywhere, even in the Autobahn overhead signs. There is no recourse but to pay the ticket so be careful!

Tip Seven. If you can gain access to a US military base you can get really nice German Spec used cars for cheap off of the military lemon lot.

Tip Eight. Get good rain gear!

Tip Nine. Make sure your tires are up to european specs.

Tip Ten. Have fun, I envy You!

I was stationed there twice, once at Noervenich for two years and once at Buechel AB for 3. The first time I had a 1987 Supra Turbo. The second, I had a 1986 BMW (Germans say BMV) 320I Alpina with a 635CSI engine shoehorned into it. That is 250 normally aspirated Horsepower in a tiny car. I remember racing along the backroads at 100mph plus in the Fall with the leaves swirling behind my car and saying to myself "It just doesn't get much better than this"

Enjoy!

Thanks for all of the advice. I really appreciate it. I'm always up for some shared experiences!
1. I generally look far ahead no matter how fast I am going. We gotta drive for all of the retards out there...
2. I still need to get some leathers. Thanks for reminding me. I finally got a sweet helmet. I can't get a new one yet. I've never been one to be plane...I already planned on standing out.
3. I'm really looking forward to driving there with people that actually know how to follow traffic sings. I've heard they are good about it.
4. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm exempt from the inspections since I won't have the bike there for more than a year. Then I will just send out the 1K! lol Rregardless, I maintain my toys. I'd hate to be going 15mph and something fail, let alone 150mph.
5/6. I'm all about following the local rules. I don't need to lose my job, because of something stupid.
7. I will have access to all US bases. I plan on getting a daily beater from the lemon lot. Then I will get an R34 or 911 Turbo for a toy. :laugh:
8. I probably won't ride much in the winter since I'm usually doing other sports/activities. We will see. What rain gear do you guys use?
9. I didn't know there were Euro specs for tires. I will needs to research that. Thanks.
10. I still can't believe I'm actually going. All of my hobbies are there and they are better than most other places. I'm stoked.

Oh and everyone I know that has been there said the beer was awesome too. I'm not a big drinker, but I like one or two every now and then. I know it's a big social thing there so I'm looking forward to it. Anywhere else I need to add to the list of places to visit?

130 along the Autobahn, sounds like the interstate around here :laugh: Best of luck on the move and enjoy yourself :thumbsup:

Same here. I was thinking more like 190mph. lol

Just be aware the drivers are not as skilled as they were before the wall came down and the borders opened up, you still have to be careful. Lots of drivers there grew up driving Lada's and Yugo's. Still better than most of the US though. Make sure you hit the Rally's in Berlin and Munchen. I would give you my favorite beers but there are too many. If you have wife and kids, Germany is the most kid friendly country in the world, the food is quite good too Jager Schnitzle, try it with fries.

Congrats, what's the job that you found (if you don't mind telling)? Like some of the others I was stationed there. Mannheim the first time and Wiesbaden the second. You're going to love it...wouldn't mind going back myself :laugh:

Congrats, what's the job that you found (if you don't mind telling)? Like some of the others I was stationed there. Mannheim the first time and Wiesbaden the second. You're going to love it...wouldn't mind going back myself :laugh:

I am in network security. My military background is Air Force. I've worked on several DoD networks, but never the Army's. There will be a lot that is new in Germany. lol

Have any of you taken your motorcycle with you to Germany? I'm looking for the customs/registration rules and what not. I've seen a few things that say I don't have to register or pay import taxes it if it will be there less than a year.

Mouth! One year later and I'd like to know how the move went. I will be joining you in Germany in about 30 days and will be in Wiesbaden. Hopefully all is well and we will cross paths in the Spring.

Congrats on the new job man. I have family that just came back from being stationed in Germany. They also loved it over there.

I was stationed over there for over 13 years. It's just going to be different since I just bought my first bike in September. I'm trying to get as much riding time, but being in Massachusetts is not easy. I can't bring myself to ride in weather that is under 50 degrees. Thanks for the advise guys and the 2 websites. I spoke to CycleGear and was informed that they will ship most of the things that I might need.

great food, people, and country. lucky bastid! i have family in southern germany, austria & greece. you are going to have a blast.

Schism, what part of Massachusetts are you in? How do you deal with having a riding season? In Germany, it will be cold at times but it warms up for a few days throughout the winter. In Massachusetts, it cold everyday until April.

Mannheim average temps (in C°)

10729.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back