Mounting a Video Camera, need opinions.

NCBusa2001

Registered
I am considering mounting a video camera on my bike. I don’t want to apply for the super-stunter or squid of the week award that I have seen posted on other sites. I would just like to capture memorable rides with my wife and friends. I would love to have the setup completed before the Busa Bash.

I have thought about multiple options. I have considered using a DVR in the trunk and a small camera mounted somewhere upfront. However I have settled on mounting a stand alone unit, being the simplest option. I have seen camera mounts that attach to the gas cap flange bolts and raise the camera to the level of the windshield. Other that the fear of being impaled they seem like the route to go. That leads to camera choice.
Of the multiple camera options the one that appeals the most to me is the new DVD recorders. I really like the Sony Handycam DVD Camcorder, DCR-DVD201.

Now to my question. I am worried about the ability of the camera to record while mounted to a moving platform. (ie vibrating motorcycle) Does anyone have any experience with DVD video cameras in this area?
rock.gif
I know the portable CD players have “skip protection†which plays the music (data) from a few seconds worth of memory rather than directly from the CD. I wonder if the DVD recorders work in the same way.

My fear is that I will spend big bucks for a camera and mount only to have road vibration and bumps make it useless. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>A side question.</span>

I have often wondered why riding video’s aren’t used in prosecution. Take NickSlick’s video’s for example. Let me first say that Nick is an excellent rider and can ride the piss out of a bike, I give him props for sure. BUT…..If I was a California DMV officer surfing the web and came across those video’s I would probably go ape shid. I would surly attempt to track down that hooligan and limit his driving privileges to mopeds for the next few years.

Why is that not done or why don’t we hear more about it? BT or other LEO’s any information?

Thanks, Chris

Check out this board members video mount;

I'm sure he can answer any questions....

hello friends
u could also get a "lipstick" or "bullet" camera and mount it anywhere u wanted
Later
Michael

Check out this link from Pashnit. He does a lot of touring and video work as a business, so you can believe he has tried most options. It doesn't talk much about DVD video cameras, but you can probably PM him and ask. <a href="http://www.pashnit.com/more/cameramount.htm">Pashnit's Camera Mount<a>

Same as BigBSBusa, checkout Pashnit's site.... its the Bible of Mods bro
biggrin.gif

I have two friends with cameras mounted on their tank as well as the camera mount on the tripple tree. Both make good movies at slow speed but both have problems with speed. The vibration gets the best of the camera and focus becomes a problem.

I use the "Helmet Cam" and it works like a dream. I can mount it anywhere on the bike or on my helmet, shoulder, rear shots etc. and all turn out fabulous. Also I have a button I attach to my gas lid with a little strip of velcro in which I can turn the camera on and off.

Works great! May be something worth looking into?

Here's a pic of my setup do a search for my posts and you will find many videos
smile.gif

Look at the center of the wind screen you will see the bullet cam the wiring runs through the bike to the trunk a wire comes out of the trunk and is recoreded by an Hi8 I have in my backpack.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh an a comment on DVD or Mini DV recorders, ifyou are using a remove lense i.e. bulletcam the recorded means little just make sure its Hi8 Digital for ease of use in putting it on the computer and editing. the ones that record to the mini DV's are good to but you can't take old super 8's and put them on the computer with those.

smile.gif

Look at the center of the wind screen you will see the bullet cam the wiring runs through the bike to the trunk a wire comes out of the trunk and is recoreded by an Hi8 I have in my backpack.
Hey thats a good idea oh yeah did you know your knees on the ground

I don't know about the DVD recorders, but my little JVC (GR-D30U) DV cam did a really good job, except when experiencing the hard jolts...  like this hill-hopping video I posted a while back.  I suspect the DVD recorders would have similar issues in the same circumstance.

Hey thanks a lot for the posts.

I will either go with the stem stand and the DVD camcorder or the bullet cam. I hope either one works. I'll keep everyone posted. Chris

I mounted my bullet cam here.

post-6-44070-camdistant.jpg

Hope these help ya out in some way.
JD

Hey thats a good idea oh yeah did you know your knees on the ground
hey it is if you look at my foot you see the beginning of the end of those toe sliders I tore up them in one track day. Time for a race bike I think

Back