Motorcyle Safety Speech I'm giving

TallTom

Registered
I have been asked to provide a speech to a college class about motorcycle safety.

I am going to try and make a positive argument that people in cars have to think about us motorcycles more.

My objective is to inform, but I also want to persuade, which the instructor said I was allowed and welcomed to do.

As part of my presentation, I have to provide valid statistics from credible sources. A motorcycle board unfortunately doesn't qualify. A funded recognized study by an accredited source is what they are seeking.

My goal is to provide statistical evidence that is current to today's environment, that shows that a high percentage of mutli-vehicle motorcycle vs car/truck are primarily due to the vehicle not seeing the motorcycle.

I found the "Hurt" Report which states that 75% of these are due to the cars not seeing the motorcycle, but it is quite old and may be disqualified.

Anyone have any suggested references that will help support my intended speech? I am not allowed to just state a fact that can't be supported. After the fact is stated by the source, I am allowed to use whatever means I can to persuade the audience to be more responsible towards us motorcycles.

Any help towards reference data will be appreciated and help us all.

I have to prepare this for next Monday, the sooner the better as I have to outline this in my spare time in the evenings.

I hate to point fingers but you may shoot a message off to red1100cc as he is an active ABATE member and may have this information. Also you should be able to call/email your local ABATE office and see what kind of resources they can offer. They use this information when lobbying for motorcycle rights so i assume they would have good quality info for you.

Gluck what you are doing is a great thing. If you can only reach one person that maybe the one to pay attention and save a life. :thumbsup:

Look at the index, then scroll to motorcycles. Lots of data involving point of impact, what objects, etc.....

Go to your local library and find the “reference librarian” he/she can set you up to search their scholastic and accredited computer sources. This is what I have to do every time I have to write a paper for college. Everything you find there is legit to use. Don’t use Wikipedia, anyone can log on and change the info on there so it would be worse than quoting this board.

Back