Motorcyle GPS Systems...  WTH?!?!

Use an automotive type. A few trips with mine and it does the job well. Just be careful with the weather,not waterproof!
thumb_up.gif

Zumo 550:

$639-$1000

Can't see that unit being worth $650 to me... let alone $1000...

Unless I'm missing out on some super-special deal out there or something.

Given that many car units are under $150, I can't see waterproofing the thing as adding a $500 premium.  That being said, I wouldn't want to risk a non-waterproofed unit.

Is there something I am missing here?  At the end of the day all I want to be able to do is make a trip plan, load it into the blasted thing, and be able to see where restaurants and hotels and gas and such are along the way.

Don't need a phone, don't need Bluetooth (got a Chatterbox already), don't need voice directions... The mp3 player would be nice...

Then find a Zumo 450....

More than just waterproof! Vibration resistant, easy to read, can be operated with just your left hand even with a glove on! Cradle designed for bikes, locks in and won't come back out on accident. Works even in a down pour! Plays MP3s, can store photo's etc..

The Zumo 550 is definitely the way to go (I keep hinting to wifey that Father's Day is coming up!
laugh.gif
) Captain has one and after seeing it in action - that's definitely the way to go!

You can get the Zumo 550 for less than $500 Linky here

That said, if you're not concerned about the waterproofing, you can get a C550 for $180.

Garmin quest 2 ....waterproof does what you need it to do and only 200 dollars on e -bay used mine on all my "Ironbutt" rides never a problem

The Zumo is the best one out there for motorcycles. You can always get a water-restistant GPS hendheld and mount it to the bike. The Zumo can be wired to the bike for full time power. The Quest is also decent, but hard to read at a glance like the Zumo and TomTom Rider.

FWIW -
I bought a Garmin C550 for my wife's car; it has MOST of the same features that the Zumo has, except that it is not geared specifically towards a motorcycle. I found last night that a gallon ziplock fits very nicely over the Stem Stand and GPS, and does not interfere with the touch screen operation of the GPS...

A ZUMO is the best bet, but if it is cost prohibitive, a ziploc bag may be a low-tech waterproofing alternative.

Back