Motorcycles Suzuki Ends Production Of The Legendary Hayabusa After 20 Years Of High Speed Dominance

AndyB

Staff member
Administrator
Registered
1544498518481.png

Even if you don’t know anything about motorcycles, you likely know that the GSX1300R Hayabusa is a ridiculously fast one. It debuted back in 1999 with an unrestricted top-speed alleged to be 194 miles per hour, and it could run tens in the quarter mile. With the Hayabusa, Suzuki completely dunked on the competition in an all out motorcycle arms race in the late 1990s. And as of December 31st, 2018, the bike will be phased out of existence.

With fears of regulatory backlash looming, an informal agreement was struck between Japanese and European motorcycle manufacturers to voluntarily limit their bikes to 186 mph. Because Suzuki was the top of the speed heap when the agreement went into effect, those 1999 bikes held the production speed record for many years afterward.

It’s since been beaten only by Ducati’s Panigale R and Kawasaki’s Ninja H2. The high-horsepower Suzuki, twenty years on and ten years into its second generation, is still as awe inspiring as ever. It was the first of what probably should be called Hyperbikes to catch my attention as a young enthusiast. I’m still afraid of them (and all bikes a liter plus, to be honest), and likely will never ride one out of respect for my lack of talent.

When the Euro 4 emissions rules went into effect back in 2016, Suzuki knew the Hayabusa didn’t meet them, and likely never would. Rather than develop a new engine, the Japanese manufacturer is letting its most impressive bike slip into the annals of history.

Source: https://jalopnik.com/suzuki-ends-production-of-the-legendary-hayabusa-after-1830970250

I had no Idea but it must be true. Now what do I do about that deposit money I put down on a GEN III back in October they had computer pictures and everything. I think I may have gotten scammed like older people who still answer their telephones and don't know who they are talking to or what they are agreeing to. I knew I should have gotten my 2019 model by now! STUPID Stupid stupid.

I had no Idea but it must be true. Now what do I do about that deposit money I put down on a GEN III back in October they had computer pictures and everything. I think I may have gotten scammed like older people who still answer their telephones and don't know who they are talking to or what they are agreeing to. I knew I should have gotten my 2019 model by now! STUPID Stupid stupid.
Was it a Nigerian Dealership? :poke:

Use it towards the 2019 model and be happy to happy one of the last busas (at least for now).

Use it towards the 2019 model and be happy to happy one of the last busas (at least for now).
Yes that is exactly what I am going to do! Going to leave that down payment on the books as a RAIN check so I have piece of mind that I am covered ether way; now I just need to decide on a color Humm.

I did the same, but actually received delivery of mine. I had to sign a non disclosure agreement with Japan though, may not say more other than the bike has to remain safely locked inside my gun safe and if I take it out, it may only be driven inside the house with no one else present.

Hey Andy . ride it like your grandmother (or I) would ride it and you will have no trouble at all . Pulls from idle Docile as a kitten Just behave with the throttle and you will love it
once i get a chance to crank it up to max revs (at the strip) it will probably never see 8,000 ever again
But i am slow like that
JP

This is a honest question, has there ever been another motorcycle to have a 12 year production run and have no changes other than color? (And brand of brakes)
And a sport bike at that. Thats gotts be a record right?

I'm pretty sure HD has introduced no new tech since WW2....
Harleys are pretty technical now...fuel injection, built in alarm systems, bigger glides have lots of bits and bobbles of tech. The V Rod was built and designed in Germany with the engine being built by Porsche.

It's the HD riders who don't want all the tech and HD actually listens and delivers, I say good on them.

This is a honest question, has there ever been another motorcycle to have a 12 year production run and have no changes other than color? (And brand of brakes)
And a sport bike at that. Thats gotts be a record right?

The Hayabusa platform has stood the test of time and delivered for Suzuki-a 20 yr old platform which is still the benchmark of performance all the other companies strive to achieve and surpass...that's impressive.

Imagine what the Suzuki people could do today if they had the motivation to create a bike to dominate.

Back