Motorcycles & Hearing Loss!

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
LINKY

Everyone who rides a motorcycle should read this!

Once your hearing is damaged there is no "Fixin" it!

Both, I don't know if it's the bike or age or both. Of course my pipe runs 109 db and I tend to run music on top of that. Then there's firearms exposure ..........

I've always rode with ear plugs in myself. It makes riding more enjoyable in my opinion. It also helps me stay focused on the road and others as opposed to the constant wind noise.

I'm 59, have rode motorcycles since I was 13, fired thousands of rounds at the skeet fields and recently retired from working in a power plant for thirty years where they gave us a hearing test each year. In the thirty years I lost no measurable amount of hearing because I always wore hearing protection. Whether at the power plant, on my ZX-12R or on my four Gold Wings I always protected it cause you can't replace it. I know, I didn't list a Hayabusa, that's first on my list come spring.

Huh, I forgot my ear plugs. I dont know how anyone could handle the wind noise without them at highway speeds regardless of the helmet type.

BB

Unfortunately, I'm already screwed! Between riding and work, my hearing has been long gone. I wear buds and try to keep the music low to get both affects of noise protection but in the back of my mind I know it's too late.

Between life-long hearing loss and tinnitus, I try to preserve and maintain what is left. I wear hearing aids too but on the bikes I wear plugs. I encourage everyone to do what is needed to protect your hearing.

I have hearing loss from riding daily for years . I also think the music earbuds didn't help while riding .

Unfortunately, I'm already screwed! Between riding and work, my hearing has been long gone. I wear buds and try to keep the music low to get both affects of noise protection but in the back of my mind I know it's too late.

Your issue is you continue to overpower the wind/motorcycle noise with music which is continuing to reduce your current level of hearing. I am in the same boat. From childhood spending long hours on farm equipment to military jets to heavy construction equipment, chainsaws falling old growth timber in the Northwest, then adding motorcycles has reduced my hearing substantially. I social settings with a room full of people all talking to each other I'm totally lost without hearing aids. I never throw a leg over the seat without hearing protection.

^ that is exactly where i sit with the my lack of hearing these days. people think i am messing with them when i cup my ear to catch what they just said and i'm only 39. i have high hopes that hearing aid technology will be top notch by the time i am at there mercy.:laugh:

One of the reasons I have kept the stock exhaust on my bikes is to not have hearing loss. Some people say "Loud pipes save lives" and that may be true in very very rare cases.
Usually loud pipes just piss off people that aren't riding on them.

I think the average person doesn't understand that hearing loss is permanent, and non reversible. Some people probably don't wear them because it's not fashionable or looks stupid.
Then there is always the - it's not that loud, I don't need them attitude.
Some people say I wish I weren't getting so old, however, the alternative isn't so good either. Same with hearing - use hearing protection (when needed) or later use hearing aids - your choice.

This is something they don't teach in school. Maybe they should?

lol, I crew H-47's, the noise ranges from 120-145 Db, depending on distance. I still wear earplugs riding the bike. I'm trying to get a set of the earphone/earplug combo that's in my flight helmet to try and retrofit into a new helmet.

My hearing is gone. Ask my dear poor wife lol. Multiple IED blasts to vehicles I was a passenger it. Multiple fire fights with small arms fire (because I forgot to wear combat earplugs. I always tried to wear them but sometimes I forgot.), and prolonged exposure to super loud diesel engines/power generators. I have SENA SMH-10R bluetooth in my lid and I try to keep it just loud enough to hear the music over my exhaust. When I first used the blutooth I knew it was too loud when my ears were ringing after taking my helmet off. So then I adjust volume settings on my phone and blutooth accordingly and saved the settings. I'm just trying to keep whatever hearing I have left. Im only 29 for pete's sake.........>_<

I think its all BS. I've been rind my whole life (30+ years) with at least (10) of those years on a 250cc dirt bike and I have never wore ear protection for either my street bike or dirt bike and my hearing was tested about (2) years ago and I hear like hawk....:whistle:

Back