Motorcycle Stands....quick question

blackbullet

Registered
Since im finally ordering new tires I've decided to get stands to save money when getting my tires changed. I was looking at the redline stands and I saw that some are the "Swingarm Spool Stand" and the "Universal Paddock Rear Roller Stand." My bike is basically all stock and i have no plans on stretching it or anything like that. Which would be the best application for me? Probably a dumb question but I appreciaite the help.

I have a Vortex stand that can be used as both a spool stand and a roller stand. I don't like the roller-stand option. The bike just didn't feel secure trying to lift it with the rollers. I feel as though the spool stand felt safer.

To answer your actual question, get the spool stand, but you'll need to buy spools for the swingarm.

The "universal" stand will have rubber pads that go under the swingarm to lift it, and it's not nearly as stable as the spooled ones..

Spools are cheap.

:beerchug:

Redline sells the swingarm spools or at least they use to. Go that route. By the way I have a rear redline industrial stand if you're interested.

And if you don't want to buy spools, just get a couple bolts..... not rocket science there

buy a Condor stand. I have a Vortex stand and not real happy with it. Condor will be my next stand come spring time.

Redline stands are great. I wish I had some! My Handy stands are doing the job for years, though. Do not get the roller stand, you can dump a bike trying to roll it around on there if you are not careful. Buy a stand that uses spools, not the pad type:thumbsup:

Do not get the roller stand, you can dump a bike trying to roll it around on there if you are not careful.
yep, dumped mine in the garage doin just that a few months ago when it got cocked moving it backwards. fortunately it was still in the stand when it tipped and I only scratched the wheel which is being repaired....:banghead:

Ive got T-rexx stands, bike is currently sitting on em with no wheels, been very happy with em. They have both pads and spool holders for the rear, pretty handy.

I too use the Cycle Gear stands and they are fine. I highly recommend though the bolts that hold the bumper pads on need to be removed and reversed so the head of the bolt is on the inside and the bolt end and nut are on the outside. I didn't do this at first and once the front was elevated I was spinning the front tire and noticed these bolts were dragging on the powder coated portion of my rotors and now I have a nice scratch all the way around it. Once the bolts were reversed no more probs.

Last edited:
yeah, I use the cycle gear one too. I use the pads on the back, as I have extensions, and trying to use the stock rear spool location is kind of a reach.
I'm sure there are better stands, but this one works just fine for $40 (on sale)

Oh, and the Cycle Gear stands come with both pads and spool options. I use the pads because my extended swingarm doesn't have provisions for spools.

Hate to revive a dead thread but here it goes....

Went to remove my front wheel last night, however. the stand I was using was not able to get the wheel high enough to get under the fender....
I used a floor jack with piece of wood under the bottom to get whole bike high enough to remove wheel.

What gives? what front stand will get high enough.

Back