Motorcycle salesman hourly pay?

BUSANAS

Registered
Hey all was looking at getting a job here at a local motorcycle shop. They sell Yamaha, Suzuki, Victory and is also the place I bought my busa. I was wondering if anyone knows what stores might pay per hour. I was offered a job and its hourly plus commission but the base pay is real low to me considering my education and experience and was wondering what room I might have to negotiate?

That pay serves two purposes.
1) Hold you over if sales are low.
2) motivate you to get more commissions.

Good luck, your main income is supposed to be your commission.

You have to look at the total hourly+commission package. Some sales folks are strictly commission. I would guess the hourly rate isn't great, but you should be able to make a decent living adding in commissions.

remember... everything is negotiable.. :yes: but don't expect a great wage on salary only in sales...

It sounds like an exciting job..coming from someone who has been on STRAIGHT commission most of his life, selling motorcycles sounds like an ideal job. IMO it makes it easier to sell a product if you can get passionate about it. Motorcycles is probably something a lot of us can get passionate about. Commission sales is the one place that I feel you can actually get paid what your worth...and the sky is the limit. Good Luck with the new job.

Will you be able to live on the low pay during the off season? Do they sell enough ATVs and snowmobiles during that time to make it worth it? There's also riding gear but who doesn't buy that off the internet these days?

Around here I rarely see the same sales guy twice in any store and it's always some young kid still living at home with his parents. Many dealers are now empty buildings and those that are still open are not doing much business. I'm usually the only one walking through a showroom filled with last year's models...just not like it was 10 years ago. I think most people are concentrating on keeping food on the table and the family car going vs. buying a toy. Then you have those that want a toy but can't afford one and the banks aren't throwing money at those losers like they used to.

Maybe things are much better where you're at, but in my area the power sport scene has been declining rapidly. I think repairs and parts sales are the main things keeping the lights on at many dealerships.

Will I be able to live on the pay during the "off" season- no
No snow mobiles only bikes ATV's some scooters.

I need to call the GM right about now and I think ill ask for more base pay, only thing he can say is yes or no. I have been out of work for longer than expected so I am basically forced to take whatever comes my way and this is the only thing I have had that is almost a guaranteed job but I might have to look at it as just a summer job. Best case scenario I would make what I need to pay bills and possibility throw a small amount in savings but come the off season that would all be gone.

Then take it and make the best of it. Study up on all models you sell. The more info you know about each machine the better. As a buyer theres nothing worse than asking the sales person a basic question, like how many colors to they make this year, or homy many ponies does this one make, and geting a response of "let me find out for you". Know what your selling, you dont want to make stuff up but you should know all of the basics of each model you sell. If you have a used model....take it for a spin so you what the ride is like.

Good luck.I dont think there is wiggle room for pay as they can hire anybody willing to accept the low wage.Could be a fun job if the shop has good cliental.

All the chips are in their court. A job is a job these days. I've been laid off since Halloween and only got one bite that I haven't heard back on yet. Better to have a job for a little while then none at all. Every man's situation is different so you gotta ask: What's the alternative if I say no?

If you aren't currently working, it's certainly better than what you are doing now. Just because you have a job doesn't mean you can't stop looking for a better one. Your new employer needs to see VALUE from you before he's likely to pay you a higher salary. Learn and know more about every model in the building. Be on time and clean. No smoking/dope/alcohol. Be the first person the customer see's when they walk in the door. Find something this dealer needs done that nobody else want or knows how to do and become the subject matter expert on it. You may not make much money, but it's a lot easier for someone else to hire you if you are currently working instead of unemployed - less stigma. Good luck.

Back