Motorcycle injured chasing a Harley

ThunderPants

Donating Member
Registered
This is from the Rocky Mountain News, the officer is in critical condition after the accident. Here is the full story. I wonder if the officer had been wearing a full face helmet and more appropriate riding gear than what most officers where if he would be hurt as badly. It is sad though that this kind of thing happened.

ENGLEWOOD - An Englewood police officer was in critical condition Wednesday night after a high-speed afternoon motorcycle chase that ended in a crash.

Englewood police said Officer Brian Mueller, 36, was pursuing a man who had tried to buy a large amount of ephedrine at a nearby Wal-Mart around 4:50 p.m. Ephedrine can be used in methamphetamine preparation.

The officer and the suspect, both on motorcycles, went on a mile-long chase that ended up going north on Lincoln Avenue, said Jim Ulrich, Englewood Police spokesman. At the intersection with Dartmouth Avenue, the suspect went through a stop sign. Mueller followed and broadsided a pickup truck going east.

The suspect got away. Both Mueller, a 12-year veteran, and the driver of the truck, Richard J. Talent, 53, of Englewood, were taken to Swedish Medical Center.

Leticia Castillo, also an Englewood police officer, said she was working off-duty at a nearby bank when she heard the dispatcher mention the pursuit. In her personal car, she rushed to Dartmouth Avenue and Lincoln Street.

When she arrived there, she saw Mueller on the ground and two officers hovering over him. His motorcycle was on its side and its emergency lights were still flashing.

Castillo worked her way in to Mueller and held his hand. She climbed into the ambulance and rode with him to the hospital.

Castillo praised all her colleagues, including off-duty officers, at the scene and trying to handle unrelated calls, knowing one of their own was badly hurt.

"The entire department was there. We were all there for him," she said.

Mueller was in critical condition and had surgery Wednesday evening. Talent, the truck's driver, was in fair condition.

Ulrich had no estimate of the chase speed.

Nor could he say whether the chase complied with the department's policy on motorcycle pursuit, saying that was for police accident investigators to determine.

Ulrich said Mueller, who is married with a 5-year-old daughter and a 3-year-old son, suffered head injuries.

At the scene, the passenger's side of the truck was crumpled and the windshield was caved in. The police motorcycle lay in the middle of the intersection.

The driver of the motorcycle was described as a white man with dark, medium-length hair and some facial hair.

The suspect was driving a blue Harley-Davidson motorcycle but police do not have its license number. He faces at least a felony eluding charge and could be criminally liable for the accident.

"If he hadn't been eluding police, this wouldn't have happened," Ulrich said.

Man sorry to hear about the officer. I agree maybe there should be a movement to have police wear proper riding attire, if anyone needs it on the streets THEY do. The calf boots, half helmet, and short sleeve shirt look cool but don't do diddley when you fall.

Codura suit and full face helmet is the ticket. LEather would probably bake most of those guys in the summer (or have them sitting up in Dunkin Donuts trying to keep cool)

Hope he pulls out ok, for himself and for his family.

wtf was he riding that he couldnt catch a harley !!probebly another harley. shoulda had a busa end of chase lol

Man sorry to hear about the officer. I agree maybe there should be a movement to have police wear proper riding attire, if anyone needs it on the streets THEY do. The calf boots, half helmet, and short sleeve shirt look cool but don't do diddley when you fall.

Codura suit and full face helmet is the ticket. LEather would probably bake most of those guys in the summer (or have them sitting up in Dunkin Donuts trying to keep cool)

Hope he pulls out ok, for himself and for his family.
i agree with you Dezzy7, i have a few friends that are motoCops. they do need to be wearing protective gear.

It is sort of ironic that this was the topic of an article in Motorcyclist magazine I read last week. I guess some departments are going to a cordura style suit as standard issue. Those silly half helmets could be replaced by flip up helmets which would be much safer I would imagine.

Harleys blow chunk....they really do . Sure they look cool ,they hold their value, sound ok to some.....

For police vehicles...they suck . Here in this city they have gone too BMW's for the most part . There's actually a Katana or 2 around as well .

If this cop had been on one of the Katana's he would have caught up to that JUNKIE in a few micro-seconds . Then he could be pepper srayin' & pistol whippin' the fughead , instead of lyin' in some hospital bed .

Anyways....Hardley-A-Davidson vs Katana/BMW/or ?

At accident scene's the harleys cant leave their emergency lights on...if they do...it kills the battery...
They cant leave them running to use power from the stator because the fuggin' things overheat in about 12 seconds (air cooled) .
They cant chase anything at high speed cause :
they have shitty brakes,
they corner like crap,
they handle like crap,
they accelerate like crap,
they....yup...you guessed it...are pretty much crap.

Most expensive thing to work on,most expensive thing for parts....
Why are some (actually most) cities still using them.

YA , I KNOW....they look cool in them parades .

They are ancient fuggin history . Think about there design for a second...
one cylinder directly behind the other? why ,so the rear cylinder can constantly burn up 'cause it gets zero air flow . The ignition fires at like 15 degrees,an' then at like 285 or something(dont quote me on that) hense that highly MARKETABLE sound..."potato,potato,potato".
Ever work on one? what a joke . I remember reading in this Harley repair manual once...."take bent spoke and deer skin mallot,and attempt to dislodge the....."
At least now they are trying....I think they realize techno, gov't emissions laws, reliabilty , COMMON-FUGGIN'-SENCE,are things that have to be at least CONSIDERED these days.
Enter the V-ROD . 'Course Harley didnt design the motor....they let the Krauts do that . Water cooled,over-head cams...blah blah blah....
sounds like Hardley built a Jap bike....hee hee hee...

Have a good night....and if you ride a Harley....

MY CONDOLENCES . juz kiddin . maybe .

I'm with you on this one RSD, there are a lot of poor Harley mounted cops here in Tampa. I have watched them doing their skills competition and it is impressive the skill these folks have on a big ole Hardley, really these folks can ride the tits off these things and their control skills are amazing. Personally I don't know why they have not taken a note from the Europeans on how to properly equip and utilize moto-cops.

I am a little torn though. When the cop is on a Harley I can still evaporate unscathed. You put that same cop on a new Yamaha fjr1300 or a ZZR1200 and all things being equal that Motorcycle cop is going to be on me like white on rice. Would be creepy...

It does seriously piss me off though when I see the motorcycle cops out there with half helmets and short sleeves.

Ah well, better for us I guess...

My prayers to this officer and his family! Altough we're not crack heads, it should show us how important it is not to run from the police. It seems not such a big deal until someone gets seriously hurt. Obey the laws concerning riding unless you can afford to pull over and pay the fines. This guy was just doing his job and I hope that he has a full recovery! As for the Crack Head that caused this---If I catch you selling that sh-t to anyone I know---YOUR A-- is mine! Then you'd wish that you had that officer protecting YOUR a--!

"If he hadn't been eluding police, this wouldn't have happened," Ulrich said.
Once again the cops pass the buck & fail to take responsibility for their own actions. If the cop had been doing his job correctly he'd still be riding. He should have had the plate # *before* starting pursuit. He should have been aware of his suroundings. Don't get me wrong, I hope the guy pulls through and learns from his errors. But to do that he has to realize them. The military guys call it situational awareness. How the Heck do you *not* see a pick up truck when you are passing through an intersection?

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with Raider,
It is too bad the cop was hurt but fortunately for the truck driver he wasn't in a crown Vic. The guy at the store bought a LEGAL substance or trying to obtain it. It was all speculation that he was making crank. Pursuit justified? Hitting a truck because you ran a stop sign? Up to this point the only thing the guy did that was illegal is run. As for the cop He is supposedly the responsible run, not the idiot running. It definitely requires investigation because I'm not sure why pursuit was even an option. How bout a name of the tag? Just don't buy too much beer at a store or the might think you might be serving minors and engage in hot pursuit.

But you know, maybe desperate times need desperate measures. Drugs are killing are kids left and right. Not just the down and out kids but well parented ones as well. I live in a very small town and I don't know anyone that has not been touched but this crap. It's not just a few puffs on a joint anymore. Hardcore drugs are becoming mainstream.

I don't know the whole situation but obviously the guy should have stopped for the flashing lights! Not stopping gave the officer probable cause to pursue. Too bad it ended the way it did.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm tired of just watching all of this transpire.It time we get a little more vocal about drugs. PEACE OUT!
pissed.gif

I'll try to stay short and sweet on this topic...

1. Ephedrine that is purchased or attempted to
purchase in a large quantity
is reasonable suspicion for a stop...If it is discovered
with the presense of one or more precursors to make
Methamphetamine it is a felony in itself...

2. Methamphetamine is not "Crack" it's "Crank"...

3. Crank is probable the worst narcotic available because
the high can last for days and the user can become
damn near super human...

I feel for the officer and his family and pray that his recovery goes well...

The option to pursue or not is always weighed...What should be considered the most is whether the punish (result of pursuit) fits the crime...It was more than likely the officers opinion that in this case it did, therefore he gave pursuit...While in pursuit alot of things can change and depending on the circumstances of the pursuit you determine as to whether or not you continue or terminate...In most cases of pursuit if a motorcycle is the first unit it remains the primary unit until patrol cars are available then the motorcycle gives way to the car...

Most pursuits are not worth the risk to suspect, public or law enforcement...(Note most!!!)

So RaiderDm and TEAM if you don't know what your talking about you should refrain from making so hast a judgement...What if that ephedrine made it to the form of methamphetamine and then came into your neighborhood???

I'll try to stay short and sweet on this topic...

1. Ephedrine that is purchased or attempted to
purchase in a large quantity
is reasonable suspicion for a stop...If it is discovered
with the presense of one or more precursors to make
Methamphetamine it is a felony in itself...

2. Methamphetamine is not "Crack" it's "Crank"...

3. Crank is probable the worst narcotic available because
the high can last for days and the user can become
damn near super human...

I feel for the officer and his family and pray that his recovery goes well...

The option to pursue or not is always weighed...What should be considered the most is whether the punish (result of pursuit) fits the crime...It was more than likely the officers opinion that in this case it did, therefore he gave pursuit...While in pursuit alot of things can change and depending on the circumstances of the pursuit you determine as to whether or not you continue or terminate...In most cases of pursuit if a motorcycle is the first unit it remains the primary unit until patrol cars are available then the motorcycle gives way to the car...

Most pursuits are not worth the risk to suspect, public or law enforcement...(Note most!!!)

So RaiderDm and TEAM if you don't know what your talking about you should refrain from making so hast a judgement...What if that ephedrine made it to the form of methamphetamine and then came into your neighborhood???

Here is an update on what happened with the officer. Here is the link to the story: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn....00.html

Basically the cop was one of the good guys and the suspect is just worthless. The cop did get his license plate and they know who the guy is. He has a long list of arrests and misdemeanors. The officer is still in critical condition at this time. Apparently he was trying to stop at the intersection but could not before he hit the truck.

Obviously this guy had something to hide when he decided to run from the cop right away. The officer was just trying to do his job and probably made some poor decisions. Hopefully this story has a happy ending.

I stand by my original comments. I wasn't commenting on whether the pursuit was warranted. I was commenting on how the law enforcement community continually refuses to accept responsibility for its own actions.

This is just one of many examples of late. Seems to be a disturbing trend to me.

fireskull.gif

who said crack? I was just going on the initial information that I was given, I also mentioned the guy was an idiot for running. I never condoned this behavior. But let me ask you this, if he never had anything in his possession what was the cop going to do if he did pull over? Give this guy a lecture on buying ephedrine? Would it not have made more sense to let the guy go and then put him under survelliance, and catch him red handed with the Meth or at least find out where the lab was?

who said crack? I was just going on the initial information that I was given, I also mentioned the guy was an idiot for running. I never condoned this behavior. But let me ask you this, if he never had anything in his possession what was the cop going to do if he did pull over?  Give this guy a lecture on buying ephedrine? Would it not have made more sense to let the guy go and then put him under survelliance, and catch him red handed with the Meth or at least find out where the lab was?
The purchase or attempt of was enough to warrant a PC stop...Doesn't matter if he actually made the purchase and had it on his person...Watching a suspect is very difficult not to mention the manpower and the cost...It is always better to prevent a crime, kind of like watching a suspect walk up to a victim with a gun pulled out blowing his brains out then arresting him for murder...Meth Labs are very difficult to find and even more difficult to destroy and are extremely costly...A Meth Lab could be anywhere a car, motel room, storage unit, at your next door neighbor's...

I was commenting on how the law enforcement community continually refuses to accept responsibility for its own actions.

This is just one of many examples of late. Seems to be a disturbing trend to me.
[/QUOTE]

This doesn't appear to be that sort of situation...And to what examples would you be referring...Disturbing should be the fact that you can't leave your home unlocked any more nor your vehicle, that you have to installed alarms on everything...That you can't send your children to school without the fear of a hostile environment...That your always having to watch your back...That you may become a victim of a violent crime, if not you a family member or someone that you know...

People seem to forget the people that make up the Law Enforcement Community are just that "people"...And people make errors...I don't condone misconduct and if the act is by intent or negligence then personnel are dealt with accordingly...

And this disturbs you...Wake up "MAN"!!!!

Back