Motorcycle Etiquette

Hey GSXcite and racerV...like I said before, I have been all over this site and I saw VMAN1300 under the "never forgotten" pictures in the gallery section. I am a teacher and because of my last name my students call me Mr. V♫ - so my email and nickname has been Vman for almost 15 years now. HOPE I CAN LIVE UP TO A GOOD LEGACY! :bowdown:

I'm sure you will, just don't try to ride like the big guy right away. What part of Ga do you live in?

wm_normal_img_3561.jpg

Welcome to the Org!

Have you passed your rider tests and have your Endorsement? Make sure you have your license and insurance card with you at all times.

Stay off of any painted lines on the road as much as possible. They can be very slick. Same goes for the edges of the road where dirt and gravel build up. They can get things interesting very fast. Welcome to the ORG!

I'm sure many others will chime in but I'll throw my $.02 in.

First off, :welcome:!

Etiquette:
Be respectful of other drivers. Do yourself a favor and if you haven't already take an MSF course do so. The life you save might be your own.

Just cause the bike can go 100+ in a few seconds doesn't mean you should do it, especially in neighborhoods. Ride smart. There is a time and place for everything.

Basic survival rules:
When you come up to a traffic light or stop sign, keep your eyes and ears open. Lots of accidents happen because the driver behind the bike is concentrating on the car in front of the bike and ends up hitting the bike. If you see them coming in fast, have an escape route available. Don't park on the other cars bumper.

Many here will tell you to dress for the crash, not the ride. I won't lecture you about it, but I'll ask you to consider it. ATGATT (all the gear all the time). Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, Pants, Boots. Like my BMW buddy says, "No leather like your own eh?"

Did I mention that MSF course? Worth mentioning again.

Get some miles on the bike and read read read read. So much information here to absorb.

:welcome: again

Yes, all good advice and couldn't agree more.:bowdown:

It's likely all been said once or twice... but:

Ride your own Ride, stay in your comfort zone..

AGATT- especially because your learning, its not IF you have gone down, its WHEN youre going to go down...

Bikers are one big family, but like all families, there are black sheep, favorites, and ones you cant stand and would rather punch in the face... Knowing this can keep you out of trouble when it comes looking...

Ride like the cars around you can't see you, and want to kill you.... Both of these seem to hold true more often than not... Plan ahead, know your escape route from ANY situation..

TAKE THE MSF COURSE....Riders of ALL skil levels will be there, its a good way to EASE into learning, and possibly pick up a few riding buddies while your at it..

The bike almost always has more ability than you the rider do...

HAVE FUN AND DONT FORGET TO WAVE WHEN WE DO! :beerchug:

DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING. The moment you take your eyes off that car waiting to pull out, it will...

Wear the proper gear - might safe your life.

Don't do anything foolhardy or to embarrass the sportbike community - like getting killed for one...plenty of others already got that job.

Study. Read or get/watch the DVD of "Twist of the Wrist II" will teach you alot about sportbike riding. A better rider is a safer rider and increases your survival chances.

DON'T CRASH :beerchug: There's no ONE ride not worth ever getting to not ride again...

Welcome to the Org! One thing i dont think has been mentioned yet is stay out of the middle of the lane your in. the center of lanes is where cars like to drop oil and coolant and anything else they can leek so i would suggest riding either high left or right of the lane. personally i prefer left. when riding with a grp, you generally want to ride staggered in the lane making sure you can see the persons helmet in their mirror in front of you and can see the person behind you in yours. DRESS FOR THE SLIDE NOT FOR THE RIDE just another way of saying AGATT. Ride safe. This link has some great advice for group riding.
Riding Skills Series: Group Riding - Sport Rider Magazine

When I started out I rode my bike for 500 miles in my subdivision and only rare on the free ways till I felt comfortable enough with it. Then I ventured out on some back roads with little traffic for another 500 miles. This might have been extreme for most but I hadnt been riding in over 4 years at the time. Plus it was a jump from a zx-6r to a zx-12r.

The wave is good but dont expect harley guys to wave back, if you do and they dont no harm but I just laugh when it happens cause they still dont view sprt bikes as real bikes and you will hear that alot if you do charity rides.

MSF MSF MSF three letters to live by, I am going to have my wife do it just so she has a better understanding of what I go through when driving. She will eventually have one for herself and I will make sure she is more then ready to handle the bike she chooses.

While going through your break in period try to find little things that will make you concentrate on getting through. Like making a turn onto a road with a downhill slant on the opposite side. Sounds weird but I watched a kid slam into a f150 because he couldnt manuever over the hump.

Stay off the center line they are slick and you will spend more energy trying to not cross into traffic that you actually will and will not be able to stop yourself.....:whistle: dont ask me how I know this.

Most importantly dont be scared. Dont be over confident but dont ride scared. If something happens or you witness something happen dont give up riding. To many people think badly about riding bikes because they heard of someone or had a family member crash. There are way more bikers each day that do not crash then those that do.

Have fun and welcome to the org. It is a great site like you allready know and some awesome people.

etiquette:

*do not pass another rider in the same lane.

*be friendly(when possible), people will forget the hundreds of bikers they see obeying the law...but will remember forever the one A**-hat that was flipping people off or worse.

*wave to kids, little kids love bikes. that little kids you wave at down the road may be a biker one day.

All good advise...i would add my welcome to the others here...i would also say if you bought your machine used duh lol get it checked over by a certified or experienced motorcycle mechanic before you go hitting the roads with it. I hadnt seen anyone mention this yet. You cant be safe on a bike if the bike isnt safe itself. All the fluids need to be checked oil, rad fluid, brake fluid front and rear,cables, tire pressure is very important. I would say learn your bike as much as possible before you hit the road and put yourself in harms way as well as others in your way:) REMEMBER THERE ARE 2 KINDS OF RIDERS....THOSE WHO HAVE GONE DOWN....AND THOSE WHO WILL GO DOWN.

Congratulations,LISTEN and you will be good to go. By the way,same year as mine,somtimes wish id left it stock.:beerchug: P.S.exept the suspension

DSC00070.JPG

:welcome: to the oRg. Your screen name caught my attention immediately. Your new ride is heavy so be careful at stop signs, etc. they tip over easy. Sneaky quick ( I hope you understand ) Kevin was a heck of a rider but even a greater person. Stay safe out there my brother.

Everything else seems to have been covered :laugh:

All good advice. I would only add a couple of things. First regarding the center of the lane: oil only builds up where cars are stopped and you really don't want to deprive yourself of part of the lane. Most of the time you can use the full lane, just be careful at intersections. You can readily see the slick spots where oil accumulates. Secondly your original post asked about etiquitte. So here's a few tips: never sit on another person's bike without asking first, never share a lane without consent, and by all means WAVE to the other bikers you encounter.

Back