Motorcycle Etiquette

Vman1313

Registered
:cheerleader: MY FIRST POST :cheerleader:

Greetings fellow BUSA owners. I am a newbie to not only my BUSA but to the motorcycle world. I have read many of the threads on this site and have found great advice on so many different subjects. I especially appreciated the advice and thoughts of people concerning Hayabusas as a first bike. :thumbsup:

MY QUESTION: So what are some etiquette rules to follow as a biker?? What are some common mistakes newbies make?? :rulez:

I'm sure many others will chime in but I'll throw my $.02 in.

First off, :welcome:!

Etiquette:
Be respectful of other drivers. Do yourself a favor and if you haven't already take an MSF course do so. The life you save might be your own.

Just cause the bike can go 100+ in a few seconds doesn't mean you should do it, especially in neighborhoods. Ride smart. There is a time and place for everything.

Basic survival rules:
When you come up to a traffic light or stop sign, keep your eyes and ears open. Lots of accidents happen because the driver behind the bike is concentrating on the car in front of the bike and ends up hitting the bike. If you see them coming in fast, have an escape route available. Don't park on the other cars bumper.

Many here will tell you to dress for the crash, not the ride. I won't lecture you about it, but I'll ask you to consider it. ATGATT (all the gear all the time). Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, Pants, Boots. Like my BMW buddy says, "No leather like your own eh?"

Did I mention that MSF course? Worth mentioning again.

Get some miles on the bike and read read read read. So much information here to absorb.

:welcome: again

Besides all the AMAZING advice panda gave, I would say always expect the worst. If you see a car preparing to pull out into the road your in chances are they WILL WAIT TIL YOU GET CLOSE BEFORE PULLING OUT... I have no idea why this is but ppl will pull out in front of you so ALWAYS be prepared for it. Worst case you can do your best to avoid it... best case you were over prepared for nothing.

Otherwise MSF, MSF, MSF and oh yeah MSF course...:rulez:

Oh yeah and :welcome:

Welcome to the oRg. Keep reading, there is tons of good information on here. :welcome:

:welcome:
There are lots of debates about getting a busa for first bike, since you already have it the motorcycle safety class is a must. I would advise you to take the class asap, before you go for a ride on the busa. Since you probably go for a ride anyways, expect the unexpected, bike are like magnects atracting all cars to them, people will pull right in front of you, they make line changes right on your side, they will cut you off, all kind of things and they all say the same thing after they almost hit you of they do end of hitting you..."Sorry, I didnt see you".

You have to be on the look out all the time, stay away from blind sides, look for cars that looks like turning into your lane or want to cross your lane side to side or want to make a turn in front of you, people opening the door to get out their cars while parked without looking, parked cars getting out of their parking spots, childrens playing crossing with out looking because they chasing a ball, pets running around, ect, ect, anyways expect the unexpected.

Start slow till you "think" you feel comfortable, after you "think" you feel ok with the bike keep taking it slow for a while. "Thinking" that you got it already is the mistake that lots of people make, and thats what brings them down. They think they have it, they feel confortable, it feels good going a lil fast and boom something comes up that you wasnt ready for it and thats all it takes.

Before you get on that bike...
Always wear all your gear.(I hope you have this already)
Take the motorcycle class.
Expect the unexpected.
Practice,practice,practice.
Be carefull, take it easy and good luck.

First off :welcome::welcome::welcome:

With what has been said above, don't ride above your own ability. If you are following a more experienced rider, don't try to be as fast as what they are doing just to keep up. If they are as good as they think they are, they'll wait for you on the other side of the twisties or what not. RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE, NOT THEIRS. Be safe out there and have fun.

:welcome: Glad to have you on the org. Your screen name is very close to a much loved hayabusa.org member we lost to cancer a couple of years ago. I like it though, because everytime I see you post I will think of him and the good times we had.

After all I have read on this site, I knew I would get some great responses...and I DID!! :bowdown: I have set very baby step goals for myself. I have only ridden the bike 35 miles in 2 weeks so far and have not even been over 40MPH. I am planning to keep it in the neighborhood for another 2 weeks then either follow or lead a friend in a car for a few times before I actually venture out on the roads on my own.

The bike course is definitely something I am looking into to take very soon and I also want to say that I am such a stricter for safety that I will be taking it slow for a long time.

Thanks again for the comments so far and keep em coming!!!

Where ever you look is where you're going to go. You can't stop nearly as quick as you can accelerate. Tires take time to heat up and stick well to the roads, especially if either is cold. Never assume other drivers see you, usually they don't. Riding the bike should become second nature, your focus should be on your surroundings. Take the advice that's already been given. Most importantly, have fun! :beerchug:

:welcome: Glad to have you on the org. Your screen name is very close to a much loved hayabusa.org member we lost to cancer a couple of years ago. I like it though, because everytime I see you post I will think of him and the good times we had.
I was thinking exactly the same thing!

Hey GSXcite and racerV...like I said before, I have been all over this site and I saw VMAN1300 under the "never forgotten" pictures in the gallery section. I am a teacher and because of my last name my students call me Mr. V♫ - so my email and nickname has been Vman for almost 15 years now. HOPE I CAN LIVE UP TO A GOOD LEGACY! :bowdown:

Thanks again for all the post and keepem coming!!!

BTW...I figured out how to insert pics so here I am with "Trashell" - my beautiful black BUSA! :rofl:

Vbusa.jpg

:welcome: TO THE .ORG!
just take it slow and be very aware of all thats going on around you.
one word about atgatt: full-face helmet...'nuff said. enjoy!

and about etiquette: bikers are one big family- treat 'em as such. respect. and after you get more comfortable on your beast you might give a low five kinda wave to fellow riders- its a biker thing

Besides all the AMAZING advice panda gave, I would say always expect the worst. If you see a car preparing to pull out into the road your in chances are they WILL WAIT TIL YOU GET CLOSE BEFORE PULLING OUT... I have no idea why this is but ppl will pull out in front of you so ALWAYS be prepared for it. Worst case you can do your best to avoid it... best case you were over prepared for nothing.

Otherwise MSF, MSF, MSF and oh yeah MSF course...:rulez:

Oh yeah and :welcome:

+1:clap::clap:

ride as if you are invisible, I joke and say be the rabbit haha but it's true, riding this way has saved me a few times, wish a had a camera to document how many times I almost ended up a pancake:laugh:

Looks like you might want to lower her a slot :laugh: it will be a little more comfy when you are stopped :thumbsup: looks like you might be tip toeing there :whistle:
Nice looking :bowdown:

:welcome:
Baby steps like you are doing are good! Thats exactly how me and the wifey started on our GSXR 600.
MSF course is a must (IMO) but in some states its also the law (still highly recommended)
Also check around with your MSF organizers. Sometimes they also offer a specialized sport bike learners class after you take the basic course. Its not a racing course but teaches you a better understanding of handling and what the sportbikes are capable of.

Back