Motorcycle discrimination by homeowners associations

umairhashmi

Registered
I have lived in my townhouse for over 3 years. Obviously I signed off on a mountain of paperwork that I barely recall. About 2 weeks ago I get a letter in the mailbox that motorcycles are not allowed even if kept in your garage. They included a copy of my signed agreement that said I won’t keep a motorcycle, truck, rv, pickup trailer or boat on my premises. I found a nearby drive in storage unit at cubesmart and have started keeping the bike there spending almost 100 a month.
The other day I stayed at my girlfriend’s condo for the weekend and today I found a note taped to my motorcycle saying it’s my final warning and she will be fined if I keep my motorcycle in their “Guest” parking spot. They never have had a problem with my 10 times louder Corvette z06 which I bring there all the time. I almost feel like these people have been watching too many episodes of sons of anarchy and associate motorcycles automatically with criminals or something along those lines. My bike isn’t loud, very environmentally friendly because of the great fuel economy and I never do anything disrespectful like wheelies, burnouts, etc. Why is my motorcycle being discriminated against and what can I do to fight back?

I have lived in my townhouse for over 3 years. Obviously I signed off on a mountain of paperwork that I barely recall. About 2 weeks ago I get a letter in the mailbox that motorcycles are not allowed even if kept in your garage. They included a copy of my signed agreement that said I won’t keep a motorcycle, truck, rv, pickup trailer or boat on my premises. I found a nearby drive in storage unit at cubesmart and have started keeping the bike there spending almost 100 a month.
The other day I stayed at my girlfriend’s condo for the weekend and today I found a note taped to my motorcycle saying it’s my final warning and she will be fined if I keep my motorcycle in their “Guest” parking spot. They never have had a problem with my 10 times louder Corvette z06 which I bring there all the time. I almost feel like these people have been watching too many episodes of sons of anarchy and associate motorcycles automatically with criminals or something along those lines. My bike isn’t loud, very environmentally friendly because of the great fuel economy and I never do anything disrespectful like wheelies, burnouts, etc. Why is my motorcycle being discriminated against and what can I do to fight back?

They probably own that storage place. It will be tough fighting it since you signed the contract but I’d take it to a lawyer to see what he thinks. A noise ordinance is one thing but u did sign off on their rules. Good luck

Sorry but you should have known what you were gettin for into with an HOA

Like previously mentioned they can dictate the color of your house. What time you are allowed to cut the grass. How soon or late you are allowed to set out your garbage and so on and so on:banghead: It still baffles me that people willingly sign up and move into these neighborhoods???

You can spend $$$ on a lawyer but your just gonna be pissing away money.

Best advice I can give you is the age old saying “Don’t like your neighbors???? MOVE!!!!”

Hoa and police at my parents house have been called many of time. From the lawn being the wrong height. My dad leaving the shovel on the side of the house whil he was using it. My all time favorite, the bbq smoke was affecting the neighbors so we needed to conceal the smell into our yard only.

Wow, I've heard about HOA and am certainly glad I have never had to experience that. In some ways they kind of make sense I guess.

I know people who have neighbours from hell, never cutting grass, cleaning up dog crap, old rusty cars growing in their yards, etc....

But these examples sure take being controlled to an whole new level.

Yeah the upside to HOA is it’s typically a very nice neighborhood appearance wise. Low crime peaceful community. That is if your an elderly person who goes with the flow, doesn’t like confrontation and never has guests over

The downside is just a few of the examples listed above and NONE of them have been exaggerated. I would rather live on the bad side of town and take my chances with crackheads etc than deal with that crap. At least there you can get an alarm system, pitbull, motion lights etc to deter most idiots. With them HOA’s it’s a lot of passive aggressive people who were Hall monitors in school on a power trip!!!

You’ll get the cops called on you anonymously.... Find warning letters in your mailbox etc. if you stand up for yourself you could find yourself fined $$$ or the neighbors could actually vote and get you kicked out of your bike own damn house!?!? Over some grass or Christmas lights :banghead::mad:

Back