Motor oil

OldMan

Registered
The owners manual for my 2011 states that we should be using kerosene to clean our chains and motor oil to lube the chain. Has anyone done their chain maintenance this way?

I don't know why Suzuki has not updated chain service instructions, use a good chain lube that does not sling off and clean it before with WD40 or brake clean.

WD-40 is basically kerosene in a can. I use it to clean mine and then spray it with Maxima Chain Wax ( Gold Can ). I do this after a good ride so the chain is hot. I don't take care of mine as often as I should but I have 23K miles on the factory chain of my '08.......

umm, yea, don't do that. there are Way better ways to lube your motorcycle's chain.

i use Royal Purple Synthetic lubricant. spray on every morning before the ride, and every night after. :thumbs:

WD-40 is basically kerosene in a can.

Negative.

What's Inside WD-40? Superlube's Secret Sauce

WD-40 Frequently Asked Questions

WD-40 is a water displacer, and contains no kerosene. It's great for a wet chain to remove water and in a pinch to clean it - but should always be lubed afterwards.

As to cleaning chains, yes, I use kerosene to clean mine. Then I lube with Dupont Teflon lube.

036121191570lg.jpg

Stock chain on my 2008 lasted 33k, and I ride pretty hard. And the chain was still in spec when I replaced it, and the sprockets were barely worn.

And yes, lubing with oil is fine, although it slings off pretty quick.

You sure about that? ???

Yes I'm sure about that, 16,000 miles on the factory chain and its needed adjustment maybe twice, the orings are all still in place and what little I can see of them they look good (not cracked).

I use non chlorinated brake clean and I don't spray brake clean directly on the chain, soak a rag down with it then wipe the chain off. Just be sure to relube the chain when you are done cleaning because it will be very dry.

Kerosene and a rag to clean the chain, then Dupont Teflon Multi use to lube.

Yes, I've done it a couple of times this way - about 10 years ago when I started on Katana 600.

But these days, DuPont Teflon lube - 5 min and I am done.

Yes I'm sure about that, 16,000 miles on the factory chain and its needed adjustment maybe twice, the orings are all still in place and what little I can see of them they look good (not cracked).

I use non chlorinated brake clean and I don't spray brake clean directly on the chain, soak a rag down with it then wipe the chain off. Just be sure to relube the chain when you are done cleaning because it will be very dry.

Cool, man. Whatever does it for you.

I've never done the whole kerosene thing. Just seems too messy.

I use a little bit of this...

41j8VtuRXsL.jpg

And a little bit of that...

DUPONT-D00110101.jpg

41j8VtuRXsL.jpg

DUPONT-D00110101.jpg

Please don't take this as trying to start an argument or debate. I just want to be able to learn from our conversation.

This is a non-chlorinated contact/brake cleaner that I use sometimes. I sprayed it on the plastic handle of a screwdriver once, and it immediately turned white and dried out. There's no way I'd let this stuff near anything plastic and safety related. I'm not really sure why it says, "safe for most plastics" on the label. In my experience, that is incorrect.

What are you using exactly?

honda cleaner.jpg

Kerosene and a rag to clean the chain, then Dupont Teflon Multi use to lube.

+1 on that :thumbsup: That's exactly how I do it. Every 600 miles, as the book says (and some in between :laugh:)

Dupont Chain Saver (Yellow Can) though. Same stuff as the Dupont Multi Use I think ???

:)

I was told by a chain supplier to just wipe the chain clean and not to use anything that will dry the o-rings out.Stick with one lube.I bought a new chain and use this stuff called engage.Its a PTFE based lube that doesnt sling off and will adhere to the chain will.This stuff is super slick and the chain runs pretty cool.

Guys, just use mineral oil...it doesn't stink...won't give u cancer to aromatic compounds..and can put in a 1 dollar spray container...won't dry out your o-rings..then use wax oil...

i have to second the mineral oil...it works super well at cleaning and lubing actually.

^ What mineral oil are you two using?

I usually clean mine with WD40 and coat it down with chain wax.

^ What mineral oil are you two using?

I usually clean mine with WD40 and coat it down with chain wax.

You can get a can of mineral oil from Home Depot or Lowes paint dept that will last you forever. As to WD-40 - the only time I use that on my chain is if it get's wet, the displace the water. Then I lube it right away with the Dupont Teflon spray. I've heard some people say it's not good for chains. Almost all bike manuals and motorcycle chain boxes say to clean with Kerosene, so that's what I do.

You want the oil to fling off, thats how your chain gets rid of the fine rubber particles from your tyre and the grit and dirt from the road. Thats why Suzuki hasn't updated the procedure as this is the best way to extend the life of your chain. If the dirt doesn't get flung off, it accumulates in between the links and makes a nice grit paste to speed up the wear on your chain. The spray lubes attract the dirt.

I use the TUTORO chain lube system using the left over oil from an oil change to keep it topped up. Chain is a lot cleaner, has no tight links and gives a lot slicker gear changes. All I do to clean the chain is wipe it over with weekly with an oily rag. Mine has covered 26,000 and still show's no signs of wear dispite being ridden all year round in the UK.

Oh, I can't find the lemon pledge either, have to settle for the original!

Back