Motor Noise And Sugestions

adv397

Registered
I have a 2012 busa with 4000 miles at about 4500 rpm under a load I get a funny noise seems to be coming from the top end but hard to tell its kinda like a rattle , mabe cam chain ? or clutch? it will make the noise in neutral but hard to get it to also seems the motor needs to be warm could the throttle bodies need to be sinked any help would be great thanks also didn't seem to have the noise before installing slip ons and powercomander thanks again

Sounds like a normal busa, I think I hear a different rattle /noise every other rise but it keeps on going without missing a beat

thanks this noise is driving me crazy its only under a load and at about 4500 rpm is where it starts but will keep making noise till I back off then fine until time to get back in the throttle like I said seems to come from right side top end

oil was just changed and it only has 4k miles so wouldn't think it would be valves plus it only makes noise at certin rpm and under load but thanks any other sugestions?

Sure its motor and not the wind screen?
Those make a nasty buzzing sound at the right RPM

pretty sure but will double check thanks you think the cam chain tensioner could be failing ? that's kinda the sound im hearing

adv
I think you should get a recording of the noise and share it with us.
If you are certain the issue was not there before the slip ons and PC then I would question the maps the bike is running on.
I would figure out the throttle position and rpm (which you know) and add fuel in and around that point in the fuel map via the power commander and see if the noise changes or disappears. If it does, go get yourself a proper tune.
:thumbsup:

Couple of things about these bikes, first, the cam chain makes noise, they all do it. Second, if you change the windscreen and dont put tape on the edges before you put re-install you will get a buzz to high pitch squeal at certain speeds/rpms. Now this is not saying you may not have an issue, but as suggested record the noise and post it up. I hate to say you dont have a problem and something give up tomorrow, but I am saying you may be hearing normal sounds.

thanks guys I would love to get a recording but its hard to do cuz it only makes the noise under a load and going 40 mph or more would switching to a 20/40 wt oil help ?

adv,
It's difficult to suggest a course of action without more info.
If the noise started before the exhaust changes and adding the power commander it seems to me that that is where you need to focus your attention.
Pull the plugs and take a detailed picture to share with us.
Have you changed the oil since you added the slip ons and PC?
How difficult is it to reinstall the previous exhaust and unplug the power commander?

echo thank you for responding and I know its hard to trouble shoot a problem over the internet, the oil has been changed in the last 50 miles I did take a look at the plugs and they seemed to be burning right the slip ons and the pc was on it when I got it so not sure what it takes to take it off and don't have stock pipes I don't know a lot about the pc , are they adjustable , are they nessary when running slip ons?

adv
No problem, we do what we can.
Because you mentioned the problem wasn't there before the slip ons and PC were added that you were the one who put them on.
The PC is absolutely adjustable and is there to make the needed changes to the bikes fuel and ignition timing after altering the bike from stock, which yours is.
When you changed the oil did you notice it had the smell of fuel in it, or perhaps you did't check.
Syncing the throttle bodies is a great idea but your bike is pretty well new with 4000 miles on it, not sure if they could be out of sync that soon.
I think you should make sure the bike is running at the correct air fuel ratio, unless the previous owner had it tuned on a dyne by a tuner, then you can rule out that area.
At 4000 miles I don't think I would expect any rattles from the top end.
You mentioned you can sometimes get the bike to make the noise in neutral, Could you try to do that and get a video of it.
I suggest removing the front seat and propping the fuel tank up while doing this so you can have a better chance of pin pointing the noise.

thanks again and sorry for the confusion the p o said that the noise was not there until he added the pc and slip ons I am with you though and think I need to get it dyno tuned weather that is the problem or not I did notice that it seems to be running rich in the mid range and so maybe its just over fueling ?

adv

Not sure over-fueling will cause noise, under-fueling will though. I think you're on the right path if you get a proper tune and go from there.
:thumbsup:

Back