MotoGP

Jbaby1969

Registered
So I’ve never really kept up with MotoGP other than knowing the most popular riders. How different are the bikes from a factory ride? Is it like nascar where there is pretty much nothing that is actually made by the manufacturer?

#DucatiCorse ~ #FactoryBuild ~ #MotoGP ~ #THEoRg *

Last edited:
So I’ve never really kept up with MotoGP other than knowing the most popular riders. How different are the bikes from a factory ride? Is it like nascar where there is pretty much nothing that is actually made by the manufacturer?
Moto GP is like Formula 1 in cars....nothing crosses over to the factory bikes we can get.

Superbike is like Nascar but some of that tech will work it's way into some factory bikes (traction, launch controls for instance).

Moto GP is like Formula 1 in cars....nothing crosses over to the factory bikes we can get.

Superbike is like Nascar but some of that tech will work it's way into some factory bikes (traction, launch controls for instance).
The technology can / does make the jump to streetbikes eventually , but the GP bikes as @Yellow09 stated , are the format for the top racers and race bikes in the best World Class bike racing , so ultimate design for race . The new rules though have blurred this to some degree , with the introduction of KTM and BMW etc. motored bikes running amongst the pure factory built bikes .
The World Superbikes have also experienced rule change , and although yes their tech definitely filters down to streetbikes too , they are much more stifled in free reign of development than ever before in their history . Tech garnered from both race classes , will generally benefit the factory streetbikes .

Just watched a World Superbike race from Laguna Seca...it was amazing to actually see the bikes being counter-steered....

Those guys fly as well....

Yeah, we all counter steer whether we realize it (or admit it) or not. When I’m out on an empty two lane carving up some corners I’ll slow down and sort of practice CSing. It’s really a cool thing to do. Now, keep in mind that when sitting still on a bike, if you push forward on the right grip the wheel turns left and if you pushed the bike forward it would go left. Seems right doesn’t it? But, when in motion in a right hand corner, pushing the right (throttle) grip makes the bike lean into the corner which helps the bike cut a better (tighter) path through the corner (and) at a higher rate of speed. Finding yourself cutting a corner too wide or too fast, pretty much the same thing, a little harder push on the inside grip just might keep you out of the oncoming lane.

Yeah, we all counter steer whether we realize it (or admit it) or not. When I’m out on an empty two lane carving up some corners I’ll slow down and sort of practice CSing. It’s really a cool thing to do. Now, keep in mind that when sitting still on a bike, if you push forward on the right grip the wheel turns left and if you pushed the bike forward it would go left. Seems right doesn’t it? But, when in motion in a right hand corner, pushing the right (throttle) grip makes the bike lean into the corner which helps the bike cut a better (tighter) path through the corner (and) at a higher rate of speed. Finding yourself cutting a corner too wide or too fast, pretty much the same thing, a little harder push on the inside grip just might keep you out of the oncoming lane.
I counter-steer as well, but it was just so pronounced on these bikes going hard into the corners like they were.

Not very often am I on the other side of the handlebars to see it in action.....:D

Keeping the front end weighted is just about as important. I would half way climb onto the tank on my CBXs in the twisties as they had such tiny (35mm) forks and skinny tires. I tend to scoot forward a bit anyway on a bike if I’m cornering uh, quickly. :laugh: The bike turns in easier and I’m keeping the front end weighted better. That front tire has a real narrow contact patch no matter how it’s leaning.

Watching the GP qualifying now. The helmet shields on these riders are about even with their grips when they’re entering corners. Talk about ‘paying it forward’.

Here's a write up regarding the difference between MotoGP bikes and World Superbikes

Just watched WSB race day 2 in Road Atlanta, the winner Toni Alias stopped and picked up a Ducati rider who crashed a few laps back and was standing in the esses...what a class act.

That Moto GP race was awesome , man , that ending was crazy , insanely good riding !!! Don't want to spoil it for anyone ..third place was awesome achievement for sure as well , but first place was a hard fought win , talk about a bit of an upset !!

Last edited:
Back