MotoGP silly season is beginning!

Looked like the Michelin Honda boys were going to be the ones to beat in the rain. But Stoner pulled it together towards the end of the session. And Spies is Starting 8th Ahead of Pedrosa!!!
laugh.gif

Donington final Qualifying
1. Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 1min 38.232 secs
2. Valentino Rossi ITA Fiat Yamaha Team (B) 1min 38.881 secs
3. Chris Vermeulen AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 1min 39.018 secs
4. Nicky Hayden USA Repsol Honda Team (M) 1min 39.270 secs
5. Colin Edwards USA Tech 3 Yamaha (M) 1min 39.601 secs
6. Andrea Dovizioso ITA JiR Team Scot MotoGP (M) 1min 39.783 secs
7. Anthony West AUS Kawasaki Racing Team (B) 1min 39.995 secs
8. Ben Spies USA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 1min 40.244 secs
9. Dani Pedrosa SPA Repsol Honda Team (M) 1min 40.350 secs
10. Shinya Nakano JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini (B) 1min 40.417 secs
11. John Hopkins USA Kawasaki Racing Team (B) 1min 40.539 secs
12. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Alice Team (B) 1min 40.595 secs
13. Alex de Angelis RSM San Carlo Honda Gresini (B) 1min 40.667 secs
14. Randy de Puniet FRA LCR Honda MotoGP (M) 1min 41.110 secs
15. Marco Melandri ITA Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 1min 41.379 secs
16. James Toseland GBR Tech 3 Yamaha (M) 1min 41.751 secs
17. Jorge Lorenzo SPA Fiat Yamaha Team (M) 1min 41.873 secs
18. Toni Elias SPA Alice Team (B) 1min 42.933 secs

Looked like the Michelin Honda boys were going to be the ones to beat in the rain. But Stoner pulled it together towards the end of the session. And Spies is Starting 8th Ahead of Pedrosa!!!
laugh.gif

Donington final Qualifying
1. Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 1min 38.232 secs
2. Valentino Rossi ITA Fiat Yamaha Team (B) 1min 38.881 secs
3. Chris Vermeulen AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 1min 39.018 secs
4. Nicky Hayden USA Repsol Honda Team (M) 1min 39.270 secs
5. Colin Edwards USA Tech 3 Yamaha (M) 1min 39.601 secs
6. Andrea Dovizioso ITA JiR Team Scot MotoGP (M) 1min 39.783 secs
7. Anthony West AUS Kawasaki Racing Team (B) 1min 39.995 secs
8. Ben Spies USA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 1min 40.244 secs
9. Dani Pedrosa SPA Repsol Honda Team (M) 1min 40.350 secs
10. Shinya Nakano JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini (B) 1min 40.417 secs
11. John Hopkins USA Kawasaki Racing Team (B) 1min 40.539 secs
12. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Alice Team (B) 1min 40.595 secs
13. Alex de Angelis RSM San Carlo Honda Gresini (B) 1min 40.667 secs
14. Randy de Puniet FRA LCR Honda MotoGP (M) 1min 41.110 secs
15. Marco Melandri ITA Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 1min 41.379 secs
16. James Toseland GBR Tech 3 Yamaha (M) 1min 41.751 secs
17. Jorge Lorenzo SPA Fiat Yamaha Team (M) 1min 41.873 secs
18. Toni Elias SPA Alice Team (B) 1min 42.933 secs
muscle.gif

yeah!!yeah!! That's our boy!! Ben has always been a good wet weather rider. That's so freakin awesome he outdid Dani Pedrosa!
kickass.gif

Yeah, 4th for Hayden.

Podium tomorrow Nicky!!

Then Assen, Sachsenring and Laguna. All tracks he rides fast at!!
cool.gif

Retire
rock.gif

Why would he do that when he's getting paid millions??
moon.gif
Because like Edwards he's just making up the numbers, I'd rather see some fresh young talent than one shot wonders who are just hanging around because they are getting paid heaps of dough.

Maybe give Spies a go and see if he can cut it (Yes I know he's at Donnington, I mean a full time GP seat)

Retire
rock.gif

moon.gif
Because like Edwards he's just making up the numbers, I'd rather see some fresh young talent than one shot wonders who are just hanging around because they are getting paid heaps of dough.

Maybe give Spies a go and see if he can cut it (Yes I know he's at Donnington, I mean a full time GP seat)
Ahhh, this is what you want to see.

Not what Nicky wants
winkold.gif

We're talking about two different things here.

The thread is about what's best for Nicky, not what you think is best for the sport
peace.gif
biggrin.gif

Retire
rock.gif

moon.gif

Retire? Hmm Let's see, Hayden is now ninth in the Championship on a bike that was 100% designed for his lilliputian team mate. By that logic there are at least 10 or so other riders who should retire before him. I can't recall the last time anyone but Pedro won on an RC212V? If I was any of the satellite Honda teams I would be furious right now for being force fed a package so poorly conceived. Hayden needs to get the he11 off that squad as fast as possible and let Pedro figure out how to develop a GP bike from the ground up! And Colin Edwards is in 5th place in the championship? You are obviously just trolling here so maybe someone should watch the race tomorrow and learn a little about MotoGP racing before making inflammatory ill informed comments.

800px_Trolling_drawing.jpg

Retire? Hmm Let's see, Hayden is now ninth in the Championship on a bike that was 100% designed for his lilliputian team mate. By that logic there are at least 10 or so other riders who should retire before him. I can't recall the last time anyone but Pedro won on an RC212V? If I was any of the satellite Honda teams I would be furious right now for being force fed a package so poorly conceived. Hayden needs to get the he11 off that squad as fast as possible and let Pedro figure out how to develop a GP bike from the ground up! And Colin Edwards is in 5th place in the championship? You are obviously just trolling here so maybe someone should watch the race tomorrow and learn a little about MotoGP racing before making inflammatory ill informed comments.
There is a reason why the bike was designed for Pedro, his riding style better suits the higher corner speeds of the 800s vs the 1000s.

There are definitely other riders that should go as well, no argument there.

Re Edwards, can you please remind me how may GP race wins he has, oh wait, I remember now, a big fat 0. That's not to say he's not a great rider, he is just Super Bike good not GP good.

I hope my comments aren't construed as "trolling", stirring the pot a little, sure, but it would be pretty boring if we all agreed on every thing.

And yes I will definitely be watching Donnington trying to learn all I can
tounge.gif
GO CASEY GO (by the way how cute is his "lilliputian" wife!)

Well, all I can say, is, if we get rid of everone who has NOT won a Gp in MotoGp, then the field would be REALLY SMALL
laugh.gif
. Same thing for F1  
whistling.gif

Well, all I can say, is, if we get rid of everone who has NOT won a Gp in MotoGp, then the field would be REALLY SMALL
laugh.gif
. Same thing for F1
whistling.gif
Good point, maybe they should relegate riders who don't get a win in their first 2 years to World Supers, or god forbid the AMA.

Can anyone remember a rider that hasn't won in his first two years that has then went on to win the (any) Championship?

A sucessful MotoGP winner has to have a perfect team around him.  MotoGP is so competitive that rider talent is not enough.  You need the whole package.  So saying a rider isn't good enough because he hasn't won a race is not an accurate observation.  Its just that the rider is in the spot light, bad or good.  Look at Marco Melandri.  Proven MotoGP winner, runner up for the MotoGP Championship in 2005.  Running in last place this year. Look at Stoner, 2006 he was a crash master, horrible year, didn't even podium. Then wins the Championship convincingly in 2007. Same riders, different packages.

Its the whole package, not just the rider  
winkold.gif

And even Rossi, the most talented rider of all time. Has won on Hondas and Yamahas, michelins and bridgestones, etc....

Lost the crown to Hayden because his package wasn't good enough.

Destroyed last year by Stoner because his package wasn't good enough.

Can anyone remember a rider that hasn't won in his first two years that has then went on to win the (any) Championship?
Uhhhhhhhhh
winkold.gif
, how about Nicky
laugh.gif
Mick Doohan! Guy lived in the shadow of Rainey and Schwantz for years and then by 1993 when they both left (for very different reasons) he was a man amongst children. He raced for over 5 years in 500's before he became champion, then won 5 straight titles. If that isn't perseverance I don't know what is. Alex criville, Kenny Roberts Junior both raced extensively before wining the title, the list goes on. Very few riders make such a meteoric rise to the top as Rossi and now Stoner and perhaps even Lorenzo. People tend to forget that when you have guys like the last three lighting it up every week.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Mick Doohan! Guy lived in the shadow of Rainey and Schwantz for years and then by 1993 when they both left (for very different reasons) he was a man amongst children. He raced for over 5 years in 500's before he became champion, then won 5 straight titles. If that isn't perseverance I don't know what is. Alex criville, Kenny Roberts Junior both raced extensively before wining the title, the list goes on. Very few riders make such a meteoric rise to the top as Rossi and now Stoner and perhaps even Lorenzo. People tend to forget that when you have guys like the last three lighting it up every week.
laugh.gif
No I meant not won 1 single race in their first couple of years, not the whole Championship.

Back