MotoGP 2019

Lorenzo's battle back from injury - against his subconscious
“When you have such a huge injury you do have your doubts – these thoughts do cross your mind"

That low slide wasn't nearly as rough as some he’s had. Getting bucked off in a high side crash and slamming back down on my back might be severe enough, even with an air bag suit, for me to give up racing altogether, maybe, riding at all. Thankfully I’ve only had a low side crash years ago. Even the worst physical injuries can heal but the mental (healing) that has to occur to retain the clarity, reflexes and concentration to race just might be too hard to reacquire.

Pics of MMs high side and face plant.

Not surprising to me as I‘ve expected it for some time. Having watched Jorge (not George:confused:) ride fairing to fairing with the best riders in the world has been a treat. It’s just been far too long since he’s done that, on a Duc or a Honda. Now, if only a US rider could rise to the top. Somebody call King Kenny!:D

What about both Marquez brothers on the Honda?! I don't know, Alex is a completely different body type that MM and not anywhere near as talented. Not sure this would be a good move for Alex.

Another season in the bag! Another Marquez title, and win. Another "Alien" retired. Quite a year. Marquez stanglehold on the class is now even more pronounced, since Dovi threw in the towel early in the season and Jorge retired, all that was left to challenge him are the Yamahas. And thats not so clear cut either. Quartararo has clearly done all he needs to prove his worth on a Factory Bike, but the Factory Yamaha squad appears to be set, at least until Rossi also retires. Fabio is clearly in Marquez sights now as he has made a point of trying to deny him these last several rounds. I honestly thought Fabios first win would happen this year but I was wrong on that one. But What to do about Quartararo? If Lyn Jarvis has a brain in his head (he doesn't!) he will do whatever he can to keep the kid on a Yamaha. Part of that has already happened, in that he will have factory spec equipment next year, but that is absolutely not a factory ride! Honda has a vacancy in lorenzo's absence, but I guarantee you Marquez would never allow Fabio on the team! I am already hearing that Marquez little bro is a shoe in for that seat, so no room there. Suzuki IMHO is wasting a factory seat on Mir, but he is likely not going anywhere. And then Ducati has stated that Petrucci is staying put, despite Jack Millers best efforts (another podium today) this year. Not sure I understand that one personally, but what the heck.

KTM and Aprilia are just not at the level of the others yet, so that is not really even worth talking about, but I will... KTM in particular is a head scratcher. They just dissed Oliveira to sign Binder and Lacuona (who just had his first start today). IMHO Oliveira was "the guy" until Zarco wiped him out at Silverstone this year, sometime between then and now he has fallen from favour with the Austrians so no idea what that's about. Aprilia has a couple of particularly enigmatic riders on their hands in Aleix and Crazy Joe. I have no idea what the future holds there, they could broom both of those guys and replace em with Zarco and a Rookie for all I know. Zarco is another head scratcher. He slit his own throat at KTM IMO and he did a few good outings on the Nakagami Honda Satellite bike in the last few races but I cannot see HRC throwing him a factory ride over that. The Yamaha test rider role is actually a big talking point right now as well, after firing Jonas Folger last week. Maybe Lorenzo or Zarco on that one? Anyway the 2020 season begins at the Valencia test next week so maybe some of this gets sorted in the next few days.

What about both Marquez brothers on the Honda?! I don't know, Alex is a completely different body type that MM and not anywhere near as talented. Not sure this would be a good move for Alex.
Marc can demand whatever he wants right now as he has HRC over a barrel at this point in the contract negotiations. Demanding that he get his little bro as a non-competitive teammate would not be out of the question. As you said, and I agree Alex Marquez is not MotoGP caliber, at least not yet.

Well I didn't say Alex didn't belong in MotoGP but I admit there is a question about that. I was really referring to the Honda being basically uncontrollable for anyone but MM, and some major, proven talents have tried.

I think FQ will ride a factory spec bike with support from Yamaha. The Ducati and the Honda are power first bikes that struggle in major ways in the curves so FQ has benefited in a major way from the sublime Yamaha handling - another reason for Alex Marques to beware of the Honda. FQ would not be rookie of the year on the Honda or Ducati, remember he even crashed the Yamaha a lot.

Lorenzo testing for Yamaha is interesting as he and Rossi built the bike and made it unstoppable for a long time. Yamaha ruled with a smooth turning bike until Ducati showed up with a snorting bull that made other teams look silly on the straights; then Honda turned up the wick and quieted the Ducati. But no one has built a bike with power and handling, which both Yamaha and Suzuki could do soon. The Suzuki seems to have stalled but the Yamaha seems to be competitive now on some tracks.

I think if Yamaha can turn up the wick again some and then go to something like BMW's robot laid CF frame (not sure CF frame is allowed), they could dominate the year.

It's official, Marc and Alex are now the Repsol Brothers! If you ask me no way this ends well. I can see Alex running interference for Marc.
Can imagine Alex getting it wrong into the first corner and wiping out big bro that'll be the only interference i could see.

Can imagine Alex getting it wrong into the first corner and wiping out big bro that'll be the only interference i could see.
Remember MM holding up Rossi so he couldn't catch Lorenzo and get that 10th championship? Usually team mates are enemies on track. I think these two might try to work the system and ride interference for each other

A. Marques already through his Honda into the gravel! He needs to learn his brother's front end washout save techniques, Lol!

Back