MotoGP 2018

there isn't a running variable compression motor in a racing application... and the examples u guys are pointing out were never perfected or mass produced.... c'mon
that Nissan VC motor has soooooooo many moving parts its ridiculous... itll never make it into a road going car.... did u look at the diagram??

What is the point Ali123? Most racing motors spend 80%+ at WOT or close to it. They don't need a lot of variables. They are designed to last 3-4 races and get essentially rebuilt after 3 hours of running. Besides, HP is not the problem. A lot of the innovation comes in trying to be economical, dependable and powerful. Even turbos are not used because the weight & complexity is just not justified when you can easily get 300 HP out of a pretty straight forward N/A motor. We can't control that much power on a track even with modern electronics. Frankly, it they had not wanted to push 4-strokes forward for road vehicles we would still be racing 2-strokes because hey are simple, light and powerful. A modern 2-stroke GP bike with FI could probably get down to 300 lbs and put out 280 HP+

What is the point Ali123? Most racing motors spend 80%+ at WOT or close to it. They don't need a lot of variables. They are designed to last 3-4 races and get essentially rebuilt after 3 hours of running. Besides, HP is not the problem. A lot of the innovation comes in trying to be economical, dependable and powerful. Even turbos are not used because the weight & complexity is just not justified when you can easily get 300 HP out of a pretty straight forward N/A motor. We can't control that much power on a track even with modern electronics. Frankly, it they had not wanted to push 4-strokes forward for road vehicles we would still be racing 2-strokes because hey are simple, light and powerful. A modern 2-stroke GP bike with FI could probably get down to 300 lbs and put out 280 HP+
the whole point of variable compression motors are to be MORE economical and produce more power... so that a 15:1 motor doesn't HAVE to be a 15-1 motor allll the time....heck.. if compression could be variable motor could start out at 8-1 and go as hot as u wanted...… lower compression motors burn less fuel.... and NO electronics can alter the compression ratio of a motor.... its mechanically changed...

there isn't a running variable compression motor in a racing application... and the examples u guys are pointing out were never perfected or mass produced.... c'mon
Nissan is selling them now. The new Altima and Infiniti QX30 are both being offered with the VC engine.

A sprocket poo'd itself on VR Yamaha overnight it sounded like a Ducati clutch when it let go...Mavs bike lasted almost a lap it was wheeling all over the place , FP2 in the rain and the yammies seemed to look the worst at spinning up all over the place, they gotta sort them tronics.

Mav is just venting his spleen to the press at every opportunity now, or at least until Jarvis steps in and says "we arent talking about this anymore". He seems to be far more vocal than Vale about it. Cant really blame him but at the end of the day you ride the horse you brung! The usual suspects will be fast here. I am not really in love with this track but man I dig the setting. I would retire there if I could.

Yamaha is always slow to get fixes to the team. Remember the dual cultch transmission even Rossi started ragging on Yamaha about? But I fear the problem is much bigger for Yamaha. As good as the M1 is, its at the limit of what you can do with a crossplane cranking inline 4 in a delta box, twin spar frame. The best GP bikes are all V4's. It may well be that the complicated electronics of the Yamaha were compensating for the basic weakness of the package relative to modern V4 configurations. With the spec ECU, Yamaha doesn't have access to a lot of the trickery and they have not been able to be competitive with it. I sometimes think Rossi might be better off stopping into the local Yamaha dealer for a stock R1 in the rain races!

I would not be surprised if Yamaha has decided to give up on this configuration (on some level) and deliver a completely new, competitive machine. Unfortunately that means Rossi may not get the chance to go for 10, as it takes awhile to get a new GP bike settled (ask Ducati!). Yamaha doesn't have the deepest pockets and that is a big ask!

Oh man , how good was that !! Those two lads were in a class of their own , amazing duel right up to the last crazy second . Good effort by Dovi , but those 2 lads were gone , and a very sound performance from Crutchlow .
Too good , Moto GP , just the best racing , time and time again !!

A lot of respect for Rossi, the way he worked himself up in the ranks today.

I guess one team is both happy and sad about the win today, showing world class skills back on the track.

So, if Rossi was riding for Honda this year, where do you think he would have finished?

And, If Marquez was on a Suzuki this year, where do you think he would have finished?

Golden age of MotoGP were watching dudes! The last several races have provided some of the best in my time as a fan. I think my favorite part was watching Ciabatti just losing it in the Ducati garage after the race and chucking his ear muffs. He is truly going to miss Lorenzo next year I beleive. Domenicalli... Not so much.

the whole point of variable compression motors are to be MORE economical and produce more power... so that a 15:1 motor doesn't HAVE to be a 15-1 motor allll the time....heck.. if compression could be variable motor could start out at 8-1 and go as hot as u wanted...… lower compression motors burn less fuel.... and NO electronics can alter the compression ratio of a motor.... its mechanically changed...

Just saying, cylinder deactivation and variable compression are two technologies used for power outputs below 30% of maximum, to reduce fuel consumption. Don't see that ever happening on a motorcycle and definitely never ever never on a MotoGP bike where we will rob power with extra moving parts and kinetic energy wastage when peak performance is needed.

Just saying, cylinder deactivation and variable compression are two technologies used for power outputs below 30% of maximum, to reduce fuel consumption. Don't see that ever happening on a motorcycle and definitely never ever never on a MotoGP bike where we will rob power with extra moving parts and kinetic energy wastage when peak performance is needed.
never ever is crazy talk... I never ever thought an electric motorcycle could be crazy fast... but here we are.... vc COULD have other applications .... namely to bump compression waaay up for short periods.... and pull compression out before engine detonates and blows up..... a 24-1 compression motor WILL run.... its a question of how long... with VC.... that same engine could be granted a longer life... along with the ability (with electronic sensors) to tell exactly when detonation will occur and allow the motor to be RIGHT at the edge of detonation.... thus achieving maximum potential.... instead of just pulling timing out... many things are possible...….

Back