Moto gp & ama

saygbye

10 sec L
Donating Member
Registered
im new to watching motorcycle racing but have been watching these series on speedvision. i think moto is in europe and the ama is american. my real ? is why or how does suzuki dominate the field in the ama and cant even get a sniff in the moto? it also seems like in ama 95% of the bikes are suzukis, why? i dont really have brand loyalty, i like all bikes but i was just wondering? however, im an getting kind of tired of hearing about the zx-14. i thought the zx-12 was thier answer to the busa?
newbie.gif

In my mind, the reason that you see so many Zuks in the AMA is because of the quality of thier bikes stock or mostly stock. In the GP, those bike are about as similar to stock offerings as apples and orangutans. Each of the GP bikes runs in the million+ range when you consider all the R&D that goes into those bikes. There are people a lot mote knowledgable than I am, but the GP riders are arguably the very best in the world as a class.

AMA is the American Motorcycle Assn., so obviously it's based in the USA. MotoGP is a European entity, which partly explains why the majority of the races take place across the Atlantic.

Suzuki makes a killer mass-market sportbike which is why you see so many Zuks in the AMAs. The GP is about as experimental as it gets - those bikes have very little in common with the bikes you'll find in the showroom, although the technology the GP uses today will be in the bike you buy 3-6 years from now. As good as Suzuki is in the stock classes, they fall short in the GP - it may sometimes only be a few seconds short, but short nonetheless.

How about a few million dollars! MotoGP bikes are one or two of a kind, AMA bikes are modified street bikes, still in the $75,000 rang, but nothing like the MotoGP bikes. HP, topspeed on the MotoGP bikes is much greater than on the AMA bikes too. MotoGP teams are limited too, unlike AMA that are not.

Just to begin.

<!--EDIT|manatrader
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149478269 -->

thanks for the answers. i guess its kind of like NHRA and IHRA in car racing. man i am seriously hooked. i think i saw where the ama comes to birmingham,al? that would be much closer for me. but im definetly going to see them somewhere. as ive been watching i have noticed that the gp boys seem to be the baddest riding mofo's ive ever seen. sunday there were 5 bikes within 1 second of each other going about 180 down the straights. Rossi went from 1st to 5th in about a tenth of a second, then of course came back to win it. thanks again. late

I asked a pretty much similar question, and these guys are explaining it as I understand it. You can identify a bit with the AMA supersport races, but you're dreaming if you think you'll ever ride a MotoGP bike.

Let's put AMA and MotoGp into perspective!!

Last year at Laguna Seca for MotoGP/AMA Superbike weekend

Nicky Hayden's (motoGP) fast lap: 1:22

Mat Mladin's (6 time AMA Superbike Champ)fast lap: 1:25

The difference is HUGE!!!

multiple post

<!--EDIT|gtrpimp76
Reason for Edit: "multiple post. sorry!!!"|1149665761 -->

multiple post. sorry.

<!--EDIT|gtrpimp76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149665785 -->

(manatrader @ Jun. 04 2006,20:30) How about a few million dollars! MotoGP bikes are one or two of a kind, AMA bikes are modified street bikes, still in the $75,000 rang, but nothing like the MotoGP bikes. HP, topspeed on the MotoGP bikes is much greater than on the AMA bikes too. MotoGP teams are limited too, unlike AMA that are not.

Just to begin.
MotoGp bikes are like F1 cars ! Nothing on them can be drived from stock bikes. And all the engines must be designed as prototypes with NO stock connections or based on any stock bike engines.

AMA is basicly an extension of the stock bikes you buy off a show room floor. If you have the money and talent you can do very well in AMA (ala Jordan racing and others). But with MotoGp, your sunk unless you have Millions $$$ in rearch and developement, along with engine MANUFACTURING abilities (not construction or modifying abilities) !

Plus the $$$ is based on 10's of Thousands of $$$ in AMA, whereas MotoGp is based on Millions of $$$$$$

I agree with everyone here on the board. I traveled to Brazelton, GA last saturday and saw the AMA races. Had a blast... Superbikes are ridiculously fast but MOTOGP bikes are even faster (and EXTREMELY LOUD) ridden by the worlds best.
Unfortunately for us here, our only taste of the MOTOGP experience is once per year at Laguna Seca (July), however there are a lot of talented riders here in the states that ride AMA.
I think AMA/WorldSuperbike is a great stepping stone to all professional riders..... worked well for Colin Edwards & Nicky Hayden (both former AMA\WorldSuperbike champions).

I encourage you to attend both if you can next year.

Be safe !!!

I have also wondered how the respol 1000cc motogp bikes makes 250 hp when the CCs are soo little.Sorry mechanical,engine guru im not.

(umairhashmi @ Sep. 08 2006,15:41) I have also wondered how the respol 1000cc motogp bikes makes 250 hp when the CCs are soo little.Sorry mechanical,engine guru im not.
It's called compression rates that are through the roof, special racing fuel, oil with the consistancy of water, rev at unbelievable levels, LOTS of Engineering both mechanical and electrical, and an unlimited amount of $$$$$$$$$$$  to do it all  
biggrin.gif
Remember these bikes are the manufacturers show case to the world about what they can do !!! Just like F1 is in the auto world
cool.gif

Back