Most unusual Thanksgiving meal?

Projekt

Registered
Back in High School in the bay area my Philipino/Chinese-American girlfriend invited me over for the extended family's Thanksgiving gathering in Daly City/Pacifica. There was a traditional Western style Thanksgiving spread with Turkey, Ham, Pumpkin pie etc.. However there was also, Catfish in Black bean sauce, Jumbo Prawns sauteed in garlic butter along with a plethora of Pacific specialty dishes like squid and various other delicacies.

I guess the question is: What has been your most unusual Thankgiving meal in regards to meat and other accoutrements?

My roommate in Germany was dating a chick from Senegal, Ende, I think her name was. Anyway we had Turkey and the basic crap, but she brought it a huge shallow dish with chicken entrails, gizzards in a peanut paste that we had to eat with our hands. :puke::puke:

My roommate in Germany was dating a chick from Senegal, Ende, I think her name was. Anyway we had Turkey and the basic crap, but she brought it a huge shallow dish with chicken entrails, gizzards in a peanut paste that we had to eat with our hands. :puke::puke:
Cool story.
I can see why you'd be disgusted but chicken guts aren't that bad. My mom used to regularly cook chicken hearts, gizzards and livers in a stew. The hearts and gizzards were my favorites because of the texture but had to be simmered for a long time to tenderize. If you are raised eating that sort of thing it is just good food to you.
Regarding the Senegalese, those folks traditionally eat with their hands, its their culture and very normal. I don't see anything uncivilized about it to be honest. The expectation of Western etiquette is what makes it seem savage.

MRE's with some friends, made the best we could come up with for a meal and pretended it was home cooked turkey dinner.

Nothing unusual yet. I'll let you know after turkey day. We have about 6 families that are getting together with all different nationalities. Being on a military base and not going home for the holidays, we're doing this to be our own family. Everyone is suppose to be making thanksgiving dishes from where they're from. Should be some good food.

One of the best thanksgiving meals ever, was after a full day at Disneyland with the whole family and we were tired out and decided to go home and we made CHILI DOGS, yes Chili dogs, they were great and we all laughed in the middle because we realized it was thanksgiving and we were thankful for chili dogs.:thumbsup:
Bubba

Nothing unusual yet. I'll let you know after turkey day. We have about 6 families that are getting together with all different nationalities. Being on a military base and not going home for the holidays, we're doing this to be our own family. Everyone is suppose to be making thanksgiving dishes from where they're from. Should be some good food.

That should be a real eye opener.. I wonder if someone will bring Mexican Turkey Mole..

Back