Most stressful project to date!

BigBadDodge

Registered
Got put in charge of job at work for these frame extensions we're building a company that had his trailers shut down by dot (have conveyers out the back to load other trailers) and need something further behind the trailer to "protect" as the conveyer is unprotected. Long story short they designed essentially half of a rear frame that gets bolted to the back of the existing trailer to meet dot specs. I'm doing everything from building, and then running all the electrical, tail lights etc and getting ready for our shipping guys to take.

$5,000 bucks a piece
Total of 50 extensions

Which for those not good with math equates to a $250,000 dollar contract not including shipping or the actual installation of this extension :laugh:

My normal day is frames for give or take 50k dollar trailers, needless to say starting the first one today i'm excited!!! Should have some pics tomorrow!!:thumbsup:

and your share of that money is what like 1%? lol

Hell if that if i'm lucky!!! Nice thing is i'm working a ton of overtime on these and looking like saturdays as well!!! Not gonna turn that down

Cool. Whats going on with cop job?

Havent heard back, im supposed to get notified when they post the official opening

As promised some pics, super happy with the first one, finished it up around noon today and got it in to get sprayed, another manager is going to run all the electrical on the first few till i get caught up with getting em built, then i will do it from start to putting it on a pallet to ship.
3/8" thick brackets-8 total per frame had these all tacked up this morning ready to weld and spent a solid hour to get all 8 welded and another 25 minutes chasin the lil guy around with the crane trying to get my rigging right to flip it over:laugh:
davis.jpg

davis1.jpg

Forgot to get a pic before it was sprayed, were rushing to get it in but here it is bedlined
davis2.jpg

davis3.jpg

Tomorrow i'll get a pic before its sprayed, there is a ton of welding on these we bid em at 4.5hrs for the weldup and honestly its not enough they changed alot on them after i bid it.
1 down 49 more to go! Didnt get much sleep tonight so started a little rough on top of all the problems of building the first one with some engineering problems, bout mid morning i caught my second wind, everyone left me alone and i got to rollin! I impress myself sometimes :whistle:

I would love to be able to do metal work. That looks really cool. Keep us posted. Work around my office is really slowing down :please:

Thanks guys, got the second one done today, was in paint around 11 and on a pallet heading for shipping to wrap it up at about 315 fully wired, tagged etc. Had to take some parts down to shipping for the second one and they were loading it into a trailer, talk about not only a sigh of relief but nice rewarding feeling!

Figured out some tricks and made a fixture to make tacking the brackets up ALOT easier, going in tomorrow to put in a few hours with another department but when i'm done there i may sneak over to my side of the shop and see if i cant bang out the 64 brackets i have parts for right now which will make next week substantially easier:thumbsup:

Was able to sneak over to tack up the rest of the brackets we have parts for so far (all these brackets will be for a total of 8 extensions..yes only 8:banghead:)
New fixture i made was a success and got every one of em setup and tacked (including flipping over and tacking outsides as the heat will break tacks with only 2 per gusset)

Grand total of 1hour!!! Really wanted to start welding em but think i will just weld each frames set as i weld the frame to keep anything from getting mixed up

64 3/8" thick mounting brackets 7" wide each leg is 8"
davis-1.jpg

Back