Mosquito Ridge

pashnit

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
Happy New Year 2019, just finished an all new article about Mosquito Ridge Rd - 600 Curves in 36 Miles. Zero people. Zero traffic, Zero towns.

--> http://www.pashnit.com/mosquito-ridge-rd

Planning a new 2019 Pashnit Motorcycle Tour (which is already sold out) into the Sierra Nevada Mountains for June 2019. Hitting some roads we haven't ridden in many years. http://www.pashnittours.com/tour_31.html Tour will hit some very fun roads, Iowa Hill, Mosquito Ridge, Wentworth Springs, Ice House, Silver Fork, Mormon Emigrant, Monitor Pass, Ebbetts Pass, Sonora Pass. And we'll base from the West Walker Motel, a lil quaint 1940s style motel in Walker. BBQ place across the street.

Completed a new webpage for Mosquito Ridge Rd: http://www.pashnit.com/mosquito-ridge-rd to add to the all-new California Motorcycle Roads website I'm building.

Terrain - 600 Curves in 36 Miles
46503989662_31012c354e_z.jpg

46504001942_2b42e84376_b.jpg

Iowa Hill Rd to reach Foresthill. More interesting than Foresthill Rd.
133_3375.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, those pictures are stunning....

I sure wouldn't want to miss a corner at speed and either hit those rocks, go over the edge or smack the cow....

Glad I booked this tour and didn’t realize it would be crossing a “need to ride” road off the list when I signed up. My son is getting married this May and we went out to look at the venue, Forest Hill Lodge, in October. Nice venue, but I was more excited seeing Mosquito Ridge Road on the map and told my son we need to get back that way on the bikes sometime. I didn’t put the two together when I booked the new Pashnit tour, so even more excited now.

Say Tim, who counted the curves?:D I’ve always wanted to count the corners on hiway 1 where it turns east from the coast to 101 at Leggett but I always lose count!:confused: Will you be leading just one group or will you be using a second leader for another group following? What was the name of your ‘helper’ that used to ride that fast 600 before it was stolen, a young tall guy? I had fun with him on 35 one fine day leaving Alices.

Say Tim, who counted the curves?:D I’ve always wanted to count the corners on hiway 1 where it turns east from the coast to 101 at Leggett but I always lose count!:confused:

Not sure Wuz, the curve counts have become stuff of urban legends, someone counts them and the riders just accept it as gospel.

Northern California's Highway 36 is likely the most famous as it was counted at 1811 Curves in 140 Miles.

14280426084_041119c214_b.jpg
DSC05974 by Tim Mayhew, on Flickr

12954186464_99074970bd_b.jpg
400307 by Tim Mayhew, on Flickr

I'm working on an article for Hwy 49 The Little Dragon. I believe that's in your backyard isn't it?

32690325618_1f69803651_b.jpg
DSC00337 by Tim Mayhew, on Flickr

31622907887_acf71bee0d_b.jpg
DSC00336 by Tim Mayhew, on Flickr

Will you be leading just one group or will you be using a second leader for another group following? What was the name of your ‘helper’ that used to ride that fast 600 before it was stolen, a young tall guy? I had fun with him on 35 one fine day leaving Alices.

Are you asking if there are two groups? No. Just one tour group. I usually lead and the sweeper is in the back with all the tour particpants in the middle of us. Not uncommon to get spread out which is fine, the riders are very sternly instructed not to try to keep up with the guy in front of them. The Safety Brief states 'There is NO TRYING in riding.' If you are TRYING to keep up, you're going too fast and you'll make a mistake.

As for a tall young fella, no idea who that is. I'm 47 and usually the youngest guy on a tour. My sweeper Mark is tall, but all gray and he rides a Tiger.

Yes that’s what I was asking. As for your sweeper, I suppose I meant a young(er) guy who rode a blue R6 (I think) but that could’ve been ten years ago as I now recall. You’re the one who told me his bike was stolen. And yes, I’m just 8 miles south of Oakhurst where my road to YNP, hiway 41 meets 49. I’m still planning a hiway 49 tour all the way to it’s northern end. Haven’t decided which route to take back home yet. I may head north of Lassen to visit a buddy near the Sprague river east of Crater Lake OR but then...I’d just have to ride into Crater and then thru Grants Pass into California above Crescent City. Damn there’s a lot of good roads in this State!:cool::laugh:

Back