More power......... Electrical that is

OZBooster

Registered
Seems lately i have just never had quite enough electrical power spare, this is on my LSR bike
its a gen 1 1407 with gen 2 ecu gt35Rturbo, water/air intercooler ,with extra loggers,big coils, pumps, etc etc

Goes well and the whole package was pretty good, but for having to service the ice tank at the start line and the cost of the fuel
so i decided to look at methanol again, doing my fuel servicing at the pits and low cost fuel that can reduce the need for an intercooler,
but last time i tried it my electrical system was unable to keep up

so i needed to cut back on power used , searching for a pump that can move better than 6 litres a min at 70psi, and not take 18 amps to do it
found a weldon 2015 that listed at 12 amps to do this, thats in the ball park, maybe this could work ...
fitted up 650cc primary and 1600cc secondary injectors,
put a AEM CDI on, this was very easy to fit and draws very little power for the spark energy it produces , and it uses the stock coils

Got it all plumbed in and fired it up
combo seems pretty good, injector size is as i hoped close enough step up from the gasoline injectors that it starts easy cold and free revs beautifully
but the wires from the regulator and the reg itself are getting hot and an amp meter i brought to check is in the negatives, and deep when the fans kick in

So remembering a thread Powerhouse posted about a high output Stator and regulator , i searched it, had a good read and PMed Frank
The Stator and regulator were in stock, so i arranged a changover stator and a few days later had the parts in my hands here in Australia
Now fitted and tested
2014-02-01181945_zps967c0d2f.jpg
This is 11 amps going to the battery after all other power needs are fulfilled :thumbsup:
Wiring is much cooler and the temp difference in the regulator is very noticable

Because my whole bike is pretty much one of esp things like most of the electrical connectors being water proof due to the salt i had to change the standard connectors , both crank trigger and stator
2014-02-02181332_zpsc3d2406b.jpg

new regulator is much smaller
2014-02-02180800_zps5d02c36a.jpg

fuel pump mounted in the new tank base
2014-02-02180834_zpsed504e5d.jpg

side view with ign system showing
2014-02-02180908_zps0dca1219.jpg

Particulary want to say thanks Frank , been a busy week in the heat here trying to get finished so we can run at the end of Feb and it would all have fallen in a heap without your help

Now the hours on the dyno start

sounds like you are almost ready to roll! i put on a set of Powerhouse's high output stator and regulator too because of all the other bikes with mods similar to mine frying their systems, it's worked great :beerchug:

Particulary want to say thanks Frank , been a busy week in the heat here trying to get finished so we can run at the end of Feb and it would all have fallen in a heap without your help

Now the hours on the dyno start

OZ, you are very welcome, thanks for the business and the pics you posted. I know you are always taking a chance ordering products from the other side of the planet, I am happy it worked for you. POWERHOUSE has sold many of these stator/Mosfet regulator setups - both for the Gen 1 and Gen 2 - with no complaints or regrets so far. We keep them in stock for that reason. Please let us know how you make out on the dyno and in your LSR events . . .:laugh:

Unfortunately, looks like it may be awhile before Greg has a chance to try this out.

Bad news for the Black Art Team, a brush fire fueled by high temps and high winds roared through Greg's farm, destroying Kim's bike, badly damaging Greg's, and took out his shop with dyno, spares, and tools.This approx 2 weeks before they were to race at Lake Gairdner.

Setting up a Paypal to help them rebuild. If you want to help out, buellrydr1@msn.com. thanks.

FYI you do not need the regulator/rectifier just the stator will work. and you save money

FYI - the stock regulator can fail, melt wires and plugs with the stock stator. No, you don't NEED the better Mosfet regulator with the large gauge wires that is rated 10 amps above the stock regulator; but when you are installing a stator that is 100 watts more than the stock stator, its nice to have the Mosfet regulator that does not heat up and melt your tail and can easily handle the extra juice without an issue . . .

Last edited:
FYI - the stock regulator can fail, melt wires and plugs with the stock stator. No, you don't NEED the better Mosfet regulator with the large gauge wires that is rated 10 amps above the stock regulator; but when you are installing a stator that is 100 watts more than the stock stator, its nice to have the Mosfet regulator that does not heat up and melt your tail and can easily handle the extra juice without an issue . . .
Frank do the math even with the more watts the wire will still handle the amps

Frank do the math even with the more watts the wire will still handle the amps

JC, when these stators first became available we were using them with the stock regulators. However, being in this business for well over 30 years, I have seen my share of melted plugs on a variety of charging systems on many models, including Suzuki. The Busa is no exception. Mosfet technology is more advanced than the stock thyristor setups, and this type of regulator generates way less heat. It makes sense to beef up the entire system with the best parts available. Penny wise is pound foolish, as they say. So for me, it is not a matter of "what you can get away with" since I would rather recommend and use what I know is the latest and the best . . .:laugh:

All moot at this point.Here are some pics from Greg's showing the 750 turbobike--239 mph---, his Busa roadbike, his workshop with all spares, bodywork and molds as well as tools and dyno, and pic of two bikes where Greg had moved them from shop thinking fire would not reach them.

750 and roadbike22.jpg

roasted 750 2.jpg

machinery shed 2.jpg

woolshed 22.jpg

frank is right. i upgraded my system through him and i havent had 1 problem. the regulator rectifier doesnt get near as hot as the stock unit. again thanks frank

My heart sank when I saw those pictures and how devastating that fire really was. I am glad no one was hurt. Greg is good people and I hope he comes back from this as quickly as possible . . .

Thanks guys,
started getting stuff together already, figure i will not have as much as before but it will be newer ;)

JC there was a very noticable temp difference in the regulator and wires between using the original with the new stator and using the mosfet regulator
new wires out are at least one grade heavier too
When the 750 gets rebuilt it will get an upgrade too

Thanks guys,
started getting stuff together already, figure i will not have as much as before but it will be newer ;)

JC there was a very noticable temp difference in the regulator and wires between using the original with the new stator and using the mosfet regulator
new wires out are at least one grade heavier too
When the 750 gets rebuilt it will get an upgrade too

FYI, the Mosfet regulator upgrade can be done to any bike, it is not limited to the Busa. Anyone interested can pm or call me directly . . .:laugh:

When I was talking to Greg a few days before the fires hit, he was telling me all about this stator and mosfet regulator. Without intending to, he convinced me that I need to order this setup. When Greg says that he's using a product and explains why, you listen.

Now I just need to talk to Frank about finding a stator in the USA. Don't want to be sending one from Australia!

All moot at this point.Here are some pics from Greg's showing the 750 turbobike--239 mph---, his Busa roadbike, his workshop with all spares, bodywork and molds as well as tools and dyno, and pic of two bikes where Greg had moved them from shop thinking fire would not reach them.

Greg who? Smith?
That is awful regardless of who it is.
I hope insurance covers it.
Your whole shop, tools, and bikes, gone!
Thank GOD no one was hurt and that it wasn't your house, but man that's gotta hurt something terrible.

When I was talking to Greg a few days before the fires hit, he was telling me all about this stator and mosfet regulator. Without intending to, he convinced me that I need to order this setup. When Greg says that he's using a product and explains why, you listen.

Now I just need to talk to Frank about finding a stator in the USA. Don't want to be sending one from Australia!

Do what Greg did - find one on ebay and have it shipped to me directly at POWERHOUSE . . .

Sixpack i am another Greg ,
Family and house fine, rest can be rebuilt , hurts a little but after seeing what was coming i am just thankfull i have anything left

Mick i found the ebay stator less than 50 miles from Powerhouse

Back