More pics, riding the Trans American Trail

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Pics from our ride, about two weeks ago. Can't wait to this again some time.

TAT8.jpg

TAT1.jpg

TAT2.jpg

TAT3.jpg

TAT4.jpg

TAT5.jpg

TAT6.jpg

TAT7.jpg

VERY jealous. Already have a cruiser for posin/stylin/puttin around town and the Busa for sport-touring/twisties. If only I can convince my wife to let me get a 3rd bike (dual sport) for adventure touring (been watching a BMW GS 1200 already loaded with goodies)

VERY jealous. Already have a cruiser for posin/stylin/puttin around town and the Busa for sport-touring/twisties. If only I can convince my wife to let me get a 3rd bike (dual sport) for adventure touring (been watching a BMW GS 1200 already loaded with goodies)

Thanks for the reply. Depending what you want to do, aim at the lighter side of things. On the TAT, (Google Trans American Trail) there were places where the trails looked like no vehicle has ever ridden them and some of the roads would not be ridable if it rains. The heavier a bike gets, the harder it gets. We had two BMW 800's with us, who could not ride parts of the TAT, they finished early.

Depending what you want to do, aim at the lighter side of things. The heavier a bike gets, the harder it gets.

excellent tip/insight...the pic of the rider picking up his bike drives the point home. :thumbsup:

Was reading about this in Adventure Bike Rider Magazine, the guy that came up with the trail spent 10 years researching it to create the route in his spare time.
Very cool!

Thanks for the reply. Depending what you want to do, aim at the lighter side of things. On the TAT, (Google Trans American Trail) there were places where the trails looked like no vehicle has ever ridden them and some of the roads would not be ridable if it rains. The heavier a bike gets, the harder it gets. We had two BMW 800's with us, who could not ride parts of the TAT, they finished early.
Yep don't get a big, heavy, street-oriented adventure bike, you won't take it many diff places than the street bikes you already have. Less is more....get a true dual-sport (street-legal dirt bike) :thumbsup:
Way more versatile and will accomplish what you're really trying to do :beerchug:

Thanks for those great pics....nothing like dual sporting on a mid sized dual sport!

Congrats on doing the TAT!!! It has been on my to do list for years! I had a Vstrom for a while and sold it for the DR650 I have now, and I have plans to do the whole trail during June and July next summer! I am super excited!!! Please share any more pics or extra good tips you have for people too! :thumbsup:

Congrats on doing the TAT!!! It has been on my to do list for years! I had a Vstrom for a while and sold it for the DR650 I have now, and I have plans to do the whole trail during June and July next summer! I am super excited!!! Please share any more pics or extra good tips you have for people too! :thumbsup:

Keep in touch, I may do the New Mexico, Oklahoma, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and Oregon part next year. DR650 will be good for the TAT.

Back