Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Personal Data Were Posted on Navy Web Site
By Josh White
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, July 8, 2006; A03

Personal records for every Navy and Marine Corps aviator or aircrew member who has logged flight hours in the past 20 years have been posted on a public Navy Web site for the past six months, compromising more than 100,000 Social Security numbers, the Navy Safety Center announced yesterday.

Investigators are working to determine how the records landed on the Navy Safety Center's Web site, which officials shut down Thursday after a member of the public reported finding the full names and Social Security numbers posted. Evelyn Odango, a spokeswoman for the safety center in Norfolk, said the list had been posted since December and appeared to be "inadvertent" and the result of "human error."

The security breach involving personal information is among several data losses involving the federal government in recent weeks, including the loss of records related to more than 26.5 million retirees and active-duty military personnel on a laptop that was stolen in May from a Veterans Affairs employee's home. The laptop was recovered last month.

The Government Accountability Office, the Agriculture Department, the Energy Department and the Internal Revenue Service all announced that they have had similar personal data compromised recently via Web site postings, Internet hackers and loss of electronic equipment. Two weeks ago, the Navy announced that personal information on 28,000 sailors and their family members was compromised when it appeared on a public Web site.

Odango said the Navy Safety Center list was discovered Thursday by someone not affiliated with the command, who then immediately reported it. She said the list includes all retired, active-duty and reservist personnel who have logged flight hours in the past two decades. The center is a command dedicated to improving the safety of Navy operations.

"That's the kind of information that is not supposed to be put on the Web site, and it was inadvertently posted," Odango said. "We don't have any proof that any of the information has been accessed or that it has been used illegally."
The information was included on 1,083 computer disks that were sent to all Navy and Marine Corps commands, Odango said, and Navy officials are working on recalling those disks.

Navy officials are encouraging anyone whose name could have been on the list to carefully monitor bank accounts, credit cards and other financial transactions to make sure the information is not being used fraudulently.

Those who might have been affected can contact the Navy Personnel Command call center at 866-827-5672 for more information. The call center should be active by the end of the weekend.
© 2006 The Washington Post Company

Inadvertently....WTF ever!
rock.gif
Sure we all make mistakes but jeez.

Fug me....

You know what concerns me now is the HUMINT efforts being put forth by "Bad Guys" looking for folks with Higher lever clearances and access to compartmented. With these sort of holes and exposures it really puts me on edge.

We have the VA being broken into, or otherwise compromised, we have Social Security Computers being compromised, and now we have the Navy handing shid out.

Telling ya, little fuggers with tablecloths and Fanbelts around their heads are going to start showing up at peoples door steps with intent... Guess I'll go ahead and re-think my home security plan and make certain that I am paranoid enough...

Fug me....

You know what concerns me now is the HUMINT efforts being put forth by "Bad Guys" looking for folks with Higher lever clearances and access to compartmented.  With these sort of holes and exposures it really puts me on edge.

We have the VA being broken into, or otherwise compromised, we have Social Security Computers being compromised, and now we have the Navy handing shid out.

Telling ya, little fuggers with tablecloths and Fanbelts around their heads are going to start showing up at peoples door steps with intent...   Guess I'll go ahead and re-think my home security plan and make certain that I am paranoid enough...
Dang Brother Rev... I didn't mean to ruin your day! j/k - all this information compromise makes me angry as well! As if bad guys (enemy, scammer, phishers, etc., ) weren't getting our info easily enough, now we are giving it away?

smile.gif
Nah it's all good, Just means I'll be watching my credit extra close...

The NMCI (Navy/Marine Intranet System) system is a joke. The security clearance process is slow and has problems...
It is a World wide system and is difficult to control and maintain total security within...

Scary, aint it...

David

<!--EDIT|Devious
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152728135 -->

All public info...
It's in news letters and bulk emails everyday...

Thats the point...
This system is wide open...
And has a number of problems...

If you are concerned you could take advantage of a free credit report in a few months and possibly put a flag on your bureau

Back