Moral Dilemma - An Exercise in Reality

How many people will you take with you on the boat?

• All 100 plus crew

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • 50 people, leaving 50 people behind.

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters
All rules are arbitrary. I don't see it as a moral exercise cause fact is, one person cannot decide the fate of everyone else. There would be mutiny at that point as "fight or flight" is going to kick in and everyone will be trying to save themselves or their family.

I applaud your efforts and appreciate how you're trying to keep us in the moral box. Funny how most of us are rebels huh.

you must follow the rules of the discussion.....

that is the point. you cannot just imagine a solution.

PS: i read my bible, and god did not free half the Israelites. He did send only enough manna to feed half the people and jesus did not make enough wine for half the party and tell the rest to go home.

if god had wanted 100 people to leave the island, he would have sent enough food and transportation for for 100.

In all likelyhood, there would be a war, and only 50 would be left standing. The old "too many mice" scenario.

Take everybody. One guy found in Haiti was buried close to a month!
By the time the dust settled over who was going and staying, they would all be dead
anyway.

Rules of discussion....hey, the thread title states "An exercise in Reality"

Reality is....everyone (all 100) can survive for 5 days on the 50 person rations available as stated before...THAT'S REALITY!! :laugh:

No moral dilemma at all,
Morally all 100 MUST be taken. It is the civil dilemma where you decide who will go and who will not.
I would think that those of faith would also lay their own lives down to allow others to survive and that would take care of the decision, but humans are not that altruistic.
Judge not, lest we be judged.
He will provide.
Bubba

NIGHTFLIGHT said:
This message is hidden because NIGHTFLIGHT is on your ignore list.
:moon:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!

your answer to the question.....who do you take, says something about you.

refusal to follow the rules, also says something about you. the funny part is, everybody wants to change the parameters, make up things to change the situtation...but nobody has truly solved the problem with original thinking...

Everyone gets in the boat and we'll ALL give it our best shot.
(Hopefully a few people will look at the odds and say the more that go means the best chance of survival will be to stay. I'm thinking 75/25 would give the best chance).

I would take my family and ONE small, healthy looking child with us and steal the boat in the night!!! That way me, my wife and daughter, would have plenty of food and water...
and as far as they healthy child is concerned, I am a meat eater by nature, and he couldn't put up too much of a fight.
"It'll be quick... Shhh, Shhh Shhhhhh"

Take all 100 and the first one that dies increases the food ration. :laugh:

Seriously, I wouldn't leave anyone behind. I trust God would work it out if there was room enough on the boat to fit all 100 people.

Now...if the boat would only hold 50 people, that could get interesting. :whistle:

Last edited:
Okay, without moving away from our given constants ie food for 50+crew and survival or food for 100 for 3 days then death, there is a rational solution, it may be a little harsh but this is how any great leader will and has in the past, take to this problem.

First, Children, you save the kids because they are most important. (i have none of my own so dont try to say im biased)

Second, Young mothers (of the above children) in good health. Sorry to those who didnt bring their kids.

Third, Young women, here is your chance at salvation those of you that didnt bring their kids but remember, there are going to be young women there without kids too so like i said, chance.

Fourth, any currently active scientists, these people are contributing to society on a larger scale than anyone else.

Fifth, its simply a random lottery from this point forward. Politicians, lawyers, whatever else excluding yourself because you had to orchestrate the ordeal and in order to circumvent mutiny you have to stay.

At any time during the first 4 rounds are the 50 spots are spoken for, you cross another issue and must take only the most viable specimens, the rest will be left behind to fend for themselves.

Is there a 'Busa on said island? If so, I'll stay behind. Good luck all! :rofl:

okay my take, load all 100 people. why not take chances and see how the situation pans out, right? i figure worst case scenario, utilize your resources and eat the dead to prolong life and increase the numbers of survivability. twisted topic but an interesting film that i would like to see. what's the title please? :whistle:

Back