Moral Corruption and

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
so much swimming through my head right now, I hope I can make this make sense and have some interesting discussions around it.

For off, I will more than likely offend someone with some parts of MY OPINIONS.... just remember they are MY opinions. I've got nothing to back up anything except common sense... and that seems to a lost commodity now days. So here it goes.

I'm tired of teenagers shooting and killing other people.

If you're depressed because your life sucks, leave a note and go swallow some pills in the privacy of your own closet. Shooting others will NOT make you be remembered for anything - except as just another one of those messed up idiots who's name no one remembers a month later when the latest celebratey gets arrested. Don't take anyone else with you! that just proves you are stupid.

Where do kids get the idea that taking others lives is cool? Seriously? That idea HAD to be instilled by someone or something of some GROUP of things. I am pretty sure churches and parents are not teaching them that over the growth of their lives, and have SERIOUS DOUBTS if their friends are telling them. And they wouldn't listen to their enemies.... who would? So, WHERE does this idea come from? If any of you have a better answer than what I have listed below, please post up.

How about this: music, video games, tv, movies, posters, news, internet. Yes, fine lets blame the parents for not raising their kids right. Here's a truth: PARENTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO RAISE THEIR KIDS RIGHT. AND They spend much less time than the rest of the influences. FAR less. Still wonder where the idea to kill others comes from? I'm not.

Here's where I will offend some. There is a lot of very negative music out there. USUALLY, [not always, I said USUALLY] these killers are into the "negative sounding music". you know the stuff with really heavy non musical guitars and 200 BPM drummming while some guy screams obsecenities in a gruff distorted voice about killing his girlfriend and parents etc etc. I'm not saying that listening to a few of those songs makes you a killer.... I'm saying it doesn't help AND it adds up with everything else over a long period of time.

Never before in our history has SO MANY negative things been so available, and seen as so normal and acceptable. Think about it!

.... as children we come out and are fed soft pastel pinks and blues, our moms play classical music while we are in the womb - not death metal, we read fun colorful kids books, watch floofy rated G Disney movies, learn from bright cheery shows like Seasame Street, Electric Company, Zoom, Mr. Rogers, and are protected from crap TV, Movies, traffic, bad men inviting us into their cars for candy, ANYTHING bad or damaging to our tender little psychies. CHILDREN are pampered and protected from the hurtful world. Parents do this to help their kids have a good life. Most parents anyway. Then kids go to school and discover wonderful things as bullys, hate, drugs, pain, pressure, axiety, love frustrations, and are slowly indoctronated into a world from h311... and THIS becomes thier playground. WE ALL GO through this! It's part of life. The ones who adopt as their music and lifestyle depressing, negative stuff - CONSTANT BOMBARDMENT of that WILL wear you down... until you don't feel it anymore and don't know it is hurting you.

You are what you eat. Mentally.

It's not JUST music, or video games or movies, or other stuff, it is ALL OF IT AT ONCE adding up to a larger plate than should be eaten. Ever.

PROFILING.

We are smart people. We have computers and stats and projectors for graphs and spreadsheets, and there is a thing called "Profiling" the criminal investigators use that could determine which TYPE of person could be a pedophile or a killer or a tax evader etc etc etc... should we start profiling teenagers? THAT seems futile to me since ALL kids are pretty messed up until they reach adulthood. It seems like profiling would work, but should we do that? that doesn't make sense to me. But WE CHOOSE to allow all these negative influences - heck, we MAKE MONEY off of it - WE allow these things to be digested constantly by teens.... then they go shooting up malls, churches, schools, colleges, and we all scratch our heads and blame the parents? How about we blame ourselves for allowing all this glorified crap as "entertainment" to exist? I don't think we should BAN all forms of music and such, but maybe, just we SHOULD take some responsibility and take a look into it. We have ratings on Movies so 7 years olds can't go watch ****, we have ratings on some video games so 5 year olds can't point a virtual gun into thier friends face and pull the trigger creating an explosion of blood and flesh.... perhaps we SHOULD take a good look at what is influencing people or kids today?

I don't know what the answer is, but I think I know what the cause is.... strike that. I think the answer is KNOWING and DEALING with the cause.

Nobody wants to watch Seaseme Street when they are 20. Why not? hmmmmmmmm Would certainly be better than say, Saw I, II, III, IV wouldn't it? Not realistic right? Well, kids killing others is not realistic either. time to rethink that.

feedback?

My Only thought WWJD is that this is nothing new. The media makes a it seem as though this type of tard stick meltdown is new but it really isn't. Same old stuff.

Doesn't make it better or worse, doesn't make it less pathetic, but it's important to realize that all this "Who's fault, Who's to blame?" crap is just media hype and BS.

In the meantime, get your CCW, and prepare yourself mentally for the extremely remote chance that you may some day need to take a life to protect others. Simple as that.

Never forget that it's our information overload that tends to make it seem as though these events are new or different. They aren't, they are just much more in our faces than they used to be.
thumb_up.gif

Okay here goes and I'm sorry if it is long and sporadic....

The "columbine-type" shootings (that is what us teachers refer to it as) stem from students who feel POWERLESS to their peers. Most of the time they have reclused (if that is a word) from society and are not getting the attention/ help they need. These "EMO" kids are MOSTLY doing it for attention... I have a few in my classes that are "EMO" because MOM and DAD couldn't handle a kid that had energy and are now DRUGGING him to make him "More Manageable" (Yes I have seen that on a behavioral plan) and now he has turned into a "bump on a log" (to use an old fashioned term) but his mind is still running 200mph....and thinking and planning and one day... acting out his feelings... sometimes with a gun.(on others or himself usually depending on the society he is raised in)

In MY OPINION one thing we have lost is ACTIVITY. It is proven the US as a whole has become more sedentary... and guess what?? more ADHD/ ADD... keep a kid active (not just busy) and it reduces the energy. Thus.. less MEDICATED kids... less depression... less bad stuff. What happened to Baseball, softball, volleyball, theatre, piano, ballet, gymnastics, and heck... just playing OUTSIDE?
rock.gif
?

As far as Music goes... I have a BIGGER problem with the glorified gangster music. I have so many students telling me that are gonna "Pop a cap in my ass" and other not so nice things they are HEARING from gangster music.... They see and hear it on MTV and think it is the cool thing to do.

That's most of what I have to say about that... I sympathize with kids who need someone to talk to and noone is there (and as a teacher I try to fill that spot) and I keep a close eye on all of my students and make sure they know SOMEONE does care. At this age (13-17) they are realizing they are on their OWN to make their life what it will be....I just try to help them make the RIGHT decisions....

I have another possible source...

How about a goverment that spends billions of dollars a day on military equipment? One that sends young men across the world to invade a country based on lies, to hunt out "weapons of mass destruction" that don't exist.
I love how people have no problem blaming music, video games, movies, or any other art form, and don't look at the people running the country.

It's the entire culture that is sick.

I agree. We are not allowed to discipline our own children. And our children know this. I remember when I was growing up, if I got into trouble, I could expect an azz whoopin. No it was not child abuse, it was discipline. Kids now have no fear of consequences. We need to be allowed to reinstall the fear in them.

I agree. We are not allowed to discipline our own children. And our children know this. I remember when I was growing up, if I got into trouble, I could expect an azz whoopin. No it was not child abuse, it was discipline. Kids now have no fear of consequences. We need to be allowed to reinstall the fear in them.
So the only reason you don't go on a shooting rampage is because you are scared of the consequences?

So the only reason you don't go on a shooting rampage is because you are scared of the consequences?
I think they were just mentioning one small part of a huge problem.Perhaps if the violent teen is dealt with at an earlier age,it might help.I think that was the point.

shame that women found the "at home mom" thing so undignified... the family unit seemed to fall apart during my years as a kid and the "womens rights" movement sort of abandoned kids at home... sure it is a hot topic but fact is, that during the 60's the invent of the latchkey kid started and now their offspring never knew a parent at home.... I just find it most unfortunate that kids grow up without parents involved in their lives due to the pursuit of the almighty dollar...

Okay here goes and I'm sorry if it is long and sporadic....

The "columbine-type" shootings (that is what us teachers refer to it as) stem from students who feel POWERLESS to their peers. Most of the time they have reclused (if that is a word) from society and are not getting the attention/ help they need. These "EMO" kids are MOSTLY doing it for attention... I have a few in my classes that are "EMO" because MOM and DAD couldn't handle a kid that had energy and are now DRUGGING him to make him "More Manageable" (Yes I have seen that on a behavioral plan) and now he has turned into a "bump on a log" (to use an old fashioned term) but his mind is still running 200mph....and thinking and planning and one day... acting out his feelings... sometimes with a gun.(on others or himself usually depending on the society he is raised in)

In MY OPINION one thing we have lost is ACTIVITY. It is proven the US as a whole has become more sedentary... and guess what?? more ADHD/ ADD... keep a kid active (not just busy) and it reduces the energy. Thus.. less MEDICATED kids... less depression... less bad stuff. What happened to Baseball, softball, volleyball, theatre, piano, ballet, gymnastics, and heck... just playing OUTSIDE?
rock.gif
?

As far as Music goes... I have a BIGGER problem with the glorified gangster music. I have so many students telling me that are gonna "Pop a cap in my ass" and other not so nice things they are HEARING from gangster music.... They see and hear it on MTV and think it is the cool thing to do.

That's most of what I have to say about that... I sympathize with kids who need someone to talk to and noone is there (and as a teacher I try to fill that spot) and I keep a close eye on all of my students and make sure they know SOMEONE does care. At this age (13-17) they are realizing they are on their OWN to make their life what it will be....I just try to help them make the RIGHT decisions....
I feel for ya girl...a school teacher,in todays modern age...please excuse/forgive me but... girl you got ballz.
bowdown.gif

RSD.

I just find it most unfortunate that kids grow up without parents involved in their lives due to the pursuit of the almighty dollar...
clap.gif

I'm not sure what the percentage might be,my guess is its fairly,I have several friends who have some form of "daycare" raising their children.

They drop them off at 7 or 8 am,pick them up at 4 or 5 pm,stuff some dinner in their faces and then pray they fall asleep by 8 so they can have 45 minutes of peace before going to bed themselves and doing it all over again the next day.

By the way,I could be full of shid.My mom was a stay at home mom...

and I'm totally fugged.
face7.gif

RSD.

wow. Excellent feedback as always! And I agree with all of it.

Rev: I think all this extra media PLANTS ideas in peoples head about things they normally might not come to. I agree it has happened a lot in the past, but I'm sure it's more frequent now with copy catters. shame. I hope I don't sound like I'm jumping on the BLAME bandwagon, as much as seeking to find a CURE.

And many good cures are listed below in others responses too! But, alas, all we can REALLY do is affect people around us, not some poor kid in another state.

Busa Jules, I think you and I are SOOOO on the same page. I agree 200% with everything you have there. I've never believed that ADD is a "disease". It used to be called "being a kid". Also, depressed grown ups SHOULD act like kids more often and maybe they wouldn't be so depressed. I'm glad you are in our schools trenches doing what you can! My father was a teacher... I know ALLLLLL about it ;)

Skoti, I didn't follow the military link, but you are probably right - politicians are definitely idiots, and the culture IS sick.... but it's what we CHASE and THINK is important that keeps us sick. Very twisted. It's a game I refuse to play and might be writing about it someday.

To continue on to bowwow, it's interesting that some kids that ARE out of control will join the military to get some of that "discipline and consequences" they so desperately crave and never got. Again, out world back stabbing itself while we look the other way. Fix the ROOTS, not the dead branches later.

Bogus, contrary to popular modern beliefs, I could not agree more. Women, and ANYBODY, should be able to do whatever they want to do - but maybe not BOTH. If you have a full time career, there is no possible way you are giving children enough time. Call me shovenist or whatever, but look at the listed results others mention: raised by Daycare like RSD mentions, Latchkey kids... I think being a full time mom is probably WAY MORE personally fullfilling and gratifying than ANY career or paycheck.

I don't talk about this too much, but my hat is off to all parents on here. It's the toughest job on the planet, and yet you still have some time to be yourself and ride a Busa. The way I see things, I won't bring a child into this world..... unless I had more control over it to protect them from it. Thus, why I'm single. I just hate what we, *I* alllow to go on.

I GOTTA stop hearing the "news". This is what happens. I'm so distanced from it, that the littlest things are huge to me now. I'd saddening

If video games affected my generations childhood, we'd all be running around in dark rooms listening to repetitive electronic music eating colorful pills. Oh yeah thats miss pacman.

But seriously bad parenting. If I got out of line I got to pick the thin belt which really stung or the thick one that knocked you silly. I don't believe in beating a kid, but you yell at them wrong and you get a call from the school office the next day. Thank god my kids know better. I tried threatening my mom once with calling the cops on her, she beat the crap out of me with the phone then handed it to me and said now you have something to really tell them. I was to afraid to call, and after that knew better.

I GOTTA stop hearing the "news".  This is what happens.  I'm so distanced from it, that the littlest things are huge to me now.  I'd saddening
I hear you. I cant stand "the news".

Usually makes me feel sick to my stomach and/or angry.

Skip the news,watch a good movie tonight.

Rubb.

How about a goverment that spends billions of dollars a day on military equipment? One that sends young men across the world to invade a country based on lies, to hunt out "weapons of mass destruction" that don't exist.
I love how people have no problem blaming music, video games, movies, or any other art form, and don't look at the people running the country.

And your assumptions are based on what  
dunno.gif
? From this age group (that I have experienced) they not only don't know where Iraq or Afghanistan is, or why we're there, or WHO is our elected leaders (other than Bush), they really don't care. They don't even know where Iran is and what it's potential problem for us is. They're more interested in their IPODs, cloths and what Brittney is doing now. Of course I was the same way when I was a Teeniebopper  
tounge.gif
, except I would have to insert CAR for their IPOD
laugh.gif
 . Sad
sad.gif
, but True
winkold.gif

I dunno. I feel things are way different now. With the proliferation of massive amounts of communication - cell phones, internet, email, 5000 tv channels, news, cameras etc - kids are hit with a LOT MORE info than our bodies are desigened to digest. Part of ADD is attempting to process TOO MANY parts of information.... picture what happens when you open every program on your computer.... better yet go try it. Yeah, it slows to a crawl and sometimes stops. WE are not ALLOWED to become slowed to a crawl at the office, so our brain fritzes around a million things at once and gets lost. It's too much.

When WE were kids, we had FM radio, tapes and cars. Tapes and cars cost us money we had to earn and feel good about... so we didnt have a LOT of them, just enough. Now music is free and kids have 6000 songs on thier ipod, 3 myspace accounts, 4 email accounts, cell phones and texting, PDAs, 9 instant messengers, again 5000 digital radio channels, and 3 sets of parents all ragging on them from different perspectives.

... no.... I don't see a problem with that ;) [deep sarcasm]

is it REALLY good to have all that going on? I feel it is proving to NO be good.

Kinda like: mmmm it's really good to eat 3 bags of cotton candy. I can honestly say, yes it IS really good! I've done it. But wait... after that I didn't feel so well... bu tit was GOOD!

I suppose you could make a couple with either kids or 2 careers mutually exclusive.... (oh big brother)

I want great kids or a great car and house.... there are a few that can do both but those people likely have good educations and a brain to go with it. Mom is likely active with the kids, PTA and other "kid" oriented activities. (I wonder how many of these people had stable 2 parent homes with a full time parent?)

I could go on a rant about the decline of family values but it would fall on 2 types of people, those who already know and those in denial...

I think those in denial want tougher gun laws and /or other legislation to fix the ails us...
rofl.gif

And your assumptions are based on what  
dunno.gif
? From this age group (that I have experienced) they not only don't know where Iraq or Afghanistan is, or why we're there, or WHO is our elected leaders (other than Bush), they really don't care. They don't even know where Iran is and what it's potential problem for us is. They're more interested in their IPODs, cloths and what Brittney is doing now. Of course I was the same way when I was a Teeniebopper  
tounge.gif
, except I would have to insert CAR for their IPOD
laugh.gif
 . Sad
sad.gif
, but True
winkold.gif
Good point. But what I am trying to get at is that it's not just the art of the culture (music,movies, video games, ect.) that is a problem, it's the entire culture right up to the political leaders.

It comes down to parenting.
How can parenting help when parents only get about 20 % of their childrens time, and children would rather listen to ANYBODY else?

I no longer believe proper parenting can help or is even possible
--- I mean in THESE situations. obviously not ALL kids end up bad. I am only talking about kids who kill when we all end up saying it's all about proper parenting

Back