Montana Speed limits

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Learned something new... So at the very top of Bear Tooth there was a sign that read Speed limit 70mph... I told Steve on the radion that someone was out of their mind when they put that sign up there at 11,000 feet because someone would actually think that it was okay to go that fast on that road. We figured the sign was there as a reminder that the state accepted speed limit was 70.... Rememer there are no guard rails on some of this... just a 3000 ft cliff.... Steve and I were running pretty hard and in some curves were running 30 or 40 so imagine a car reading that 70 is okay...

So here is road I am talking about.......

6-1.jpg

5-9.jpg

4-6.jpg

We spoke with a Trooper today and he said that it was indeed 70 mph and that the state just expects people to make good choices....

WOW!

I dont think a car could take that road at 40... it would be like the tail of the dragon having a speed limit of 65

Cap

6-1.jpg

5-9.jpg

4-6.jpg

Nice post Captain! Nice road... Greats pictures! And you 2 be safe and have more fun!:bowdown:

I heard they have a zero crash rate up in the mountains.... they find anyone that crashed....

1ibandit

I am gonna need some of your pics in High rez... Nice job Capt.

Was there much gravel in the turns? When I did that road in 04 I was on a Harley Road King, and was scaping the floor boards on every turn :laugh:

That's beautiful!! Seeing those roads with barely any cars, twisties and good straights brings tears to my eyes :thumbsup: !

Those pics are amazing and I bet they pale in comparison to seeing it in person. Thanks again for sharing!!

For a few years about 15 years ago, Montana didn't have a daytime speed limit; the signs said something like "speed within safe limits for conditions" or something like that. It's the 4th largest state in the country and I think the least populous after Alaska. Lots of miles of road with very little man-power to patrol.

Again, I'm sooooooooooo jealous.

Learned something new... So at the very top of Bear Tooth there was a sign that read Speed limit 70mph... I told Steve on the radion that someone was out of their mind when they put that sign up there at 11,000 feet because someone would actually think that it was okay to go that fast on that road. We figured the sign was there as a reminder that the state accepted speed limit was 70.... Rememer there are no guard rails on some of this... just a 3000 ft cliff.... Steve and I were running pretty hard and in some curves were running 30 or 40 so imagine a car reading that 70 is okay...

So here is road I am talking about.......

View attachment 196733

View attachment 196734

View attachment 196735

We spoke with a Trooper today and he said that it was indeed 70 mph and that the state just expects people to make good choices....

WOW!

I dont think a car could take that road at 40... it would be like the tail of the dragon having a speed limit of 65

Cap

the speed limit used to be "reasonable and prudent" so by yourself, middle of nowhere, sunny day, fast bike, they'd let you zip by about as fast as you want. i heard the feds threatened to pull funding for the roads if they didn't post a statewide speed limit. i miss home, if you guys get to glacier national park, take some pics and post em for me.

beartooth pass is a fun road. make sure you're sober before you head up there.

Back