molding carbon fiber

cisco35

Registered
i really want to mold some carbon fiber to my inner fairings and over the fake carbon on the guage bezel. i have the carbon fabric but i dont know what the hell i am doing. i want to do this my self so i can learn something new and i dont have 300-500 bucks to buy the already finished ones.hopefully someone will have some experience with this. thanks guys.

This is tough to explain in type. Do you have the resin? If so does it tell you what kind of cure temps and time are required? If you just want to cover your parts you are going to have to becareful not to melt them or screw them up somehow. The best way is to get some molding material and make new parts useing the molds. If you have a room temp curing resin make sure you use somekind of parting agent so if something goes wrong you can pull the carbon fiber off and start over.

i really want to mold some carbon fiber to my inner fairings and over the fake carbon on the guage bezel. i have the carbon fabric but i dont know what the hell i am doing. i want to do this my self so i can learn something new and i dont have 300-500 bucks to buy the already finished ones.hopefully someone will have some experience with this. thanks guys.
Hey Cisco,

I tried the same exact thing that you are talking about.  Even if you take your time with it, it's real hard if you're trying to accomplish that custom look.  Best way is to totally take off the inner fairings and work with them.  Because of the odd shape of the inners, it's going to be hard to keep your tape flowing straight.  I tried something that isn't as pricey as the 3-to-5 hundred dollar jobs you are talking about.  I got some done from this place called Race Ready.  This guy paints the inners to match the bike.  I had a guy at my local paint and body shop to clear coat over the plastic to give it some durability.  It looks good too.  I'm just experimenting with this for now, but I still have my stock inners and will send them to Nick Smith and let him paint mine for $300 if this doesn't hold up real well.  BTW, the guy at Race Ready will send you a set of painted inners for $109 if you send him your stock set.  If you keep your set, then the price is $179.  If you have any questions, just check out the site... Race Ready

Brian

thanks i think that it would be more expensive for me because of my custom paint. the only part that i wanted to cover is the top piece that goes along the side and around the guages.i have the bottom part done they came with my sebimoto carbon kit.i just need to get the top half done.

Back