Modifying the Stock Busa Exhaust for Better Sound.

Postal

Donating Member
Registered
Just curious, I posted this a long time ago and only got one or two responses. I think Doc replied last time. How extensive can you go with modifying the stock Busa cans for better sound without the need for remapping, and how did you do the mods? Thanks!
cool.gif

I would also like to hear about this one. Those Yoshi pipes I want are pricey for a guy who works in Radio. - by the way are you really Tommy Tu Tone? (dumb question?) 8675309
egitarre77.gif

Well, me again. You can modify the cans quite a bit without remapping. You see, the real "restriction" in the Busa exhaust happens down where the header pipes come together. Take a look, you will see a "bulge" where the "restrictor" is hiding.

What I did was get a long drill (3/8" I think) and drilled two holes all the way through BOTH baffles. It made it sounds better. I would probably have done 4 holes in each one in retrospect.

Alternatively, I have a D&D system for sale on eBay CHEAP! Search D&D and hayabusa if you are interested. Those babies have got some sound!

Best Regards,

Doc

Well, me again.  You can modify the cans quite a bit without remapping.  You see, the real "restriction" in the Busa exhaust happens down where the header pipes come together.  Take a look, you will see a "bulge" where the "restrictor" is hiding.

What I did was get a long drill (3/8" I think) and drilled two holes all the way through BOTH baffles.  It made it sounds better.  I would probably have done 4 holes in each one in retrospect.

Alternatively, I have a D&D system for sale on eBay CHEAP!  Search D&D and hayabusa if you are interested.  Those babies have got some sound!

Best Regards,

Doc
Thanks Doc, again. I'm going to drill four holes in each can at the end where it bolts to the pipe, right? How much for the D&D and how old is it?

I can't believe you would consider that. The stock exhaust weighs 32lbs. The aftermarket pipes have larger diameter headers. That is the main reason you gain power. You can also loose 20lbs. The cannister is a big part as well. There is liitle baffling compared to stock. You really need to pony up the cash. Look around and buy something around $500. Essentially all exhaust mods need to be remapped, but it isn't critical. I am gonna run my Akro without a remap. The only real alternative is simply to remove the cans, and run her open headers.

Sounds like they want sound man. If you want HP buy nos with the $500 bucks. More HP without a remap!
laugh.gif
AAAssjani.gif

I am looking for offers around $250 plus shipping on the D&D.

As far as noise, I agree and that was all I was going for at first as well. In time, I was just not happy with the looks of the stock cans.

As far as drilling, you can go from either side, I went in from the back as well and went straight through both baffles. Make sure you are not off angle much or you could pop through the side of the can (BAD IDEA).

Chow

Doc........do you have pics of the exhaust? I would be interested......especially if they are the chrome pipes.

I can't believe you would consider that. The stock exhaust weighs 32lbs. The aftermarket pipes have larger diameter headers. That is the main reason you gain power. You can also loose 20lbs. The cannister is a big part as well. There is liitle baffling compared to stock. You really need to pony up the cash. Look around and buy something around $500. Essentially all exhaust mods need to be remapped, but it isn't critical. I am gonna run my Akro without a remap. The only real alternative is simply to remove the cans, and run her open headers.
Discreet: This is more of a mental adventure than anything else. I realize where the power comes from, I was just looking for ways to make more sound come out of the stock pipes. There are some riders on this site who may not be able to plop down 500 bucks or more for after market exhausts. I will do the full Yoshi ehaust system sometime in the future, but not now. Curiosity lives on!
rock.gif

I am looking for offers around $250 plus shipping on the D&D.

As far as noise, I agree and that was all I was going for at first as well.  In time, I was just not happy with the looks of the stock cans.  

As far as drilling, you can go from either side, I went in from the back as well and went straight through both baffles.  Make sure you are not off angle much or you could pop through the side of the can (BAD IDEA).

Chow
Thanks again Doc!
cool.gif

Discreet:  This is more of a mental adventure than anything else.  I realize where the power comes from, I was just looking for ways to make more sound come out of the stock pipes.  There are some riders on this site who may not be able to plop down 500 bucks or more for after market exhausts.  I will do the full Yoshi ehaust system sometime in the future, but not now.  Curiosity lives on!  
rock.gif
I got ya. Just have seen so many squids come in to the dealer and ask for it, that I had a knee jerk reaction. It's been 3 years and my reflexes are still pretty good.
I just tell people to save up money. I also tell them to remove the baffles if they just want some noise.

Well, me again.  You can modify the cans quite a bit without remapping.  You see, the real "restriction" in the Busa exhaust happens down where the header pipes come together.  Take a look, you will see a "bulge" where the "restrictor" is hiding.

What I did was get a long drill (3/8" I think) and drilled two holes all the way through BOTH baffles.  It made it sounds better.  I would probably have done 4 holes in each one in retrospect.

Alternatively, I have a D&D system for sale on eBay CHEAP!  Search D&D and hayabusa if you are interested.  Those babies have got some sound!

Best Regards,

Doc
Doc: Is this your item # on ebay? 2403739124.

I had a question once along the same line...Mine was altering the stock exhaust to 4-2-1...I wondered what that would do and if anyone had tried that in the past and if so what the result was...If any one has a stock header and is interested in selling it at a very low price I may still try it...

I had a question once along the same line...Mine was altering the stock exhaust to 4-2-1...I wondered what that would do and if anyone had tried that in the past and if so what the result was...If any one has a stock header and is interested in selling it at a very low price I may still try it...
Stu: My guess is that the back pressure would be a problem due to the smaller header diameter. It seems the stock header needs two cans to flow the exhaust pressure properly. Cutting off one side (eliminating one can, if that is what I understand you are talking about) would cause too much back pressure. You would have to really open up the can resistance, in the one that is left, I believe. Well, I've probably just spoken like a true amature, but just my .02.
oops.gif

What do you think if a slip on was added...  
rock.gif
That would probably come close to doing the trick, I would think. Aftermarket exhausts are definately more free-flowing than the stock cans. I'd talk to a real expert first though, wouldn't want to screw anything up in the engine. The proof is in the pudding; check to see how it runs, sounds, backfires, etc. Probably would need remapping regardless. More of my amature .02.
wink.gif

rock.gif
Man, just buy a full exhaust!  I'm thinking it would probably work with what you're talking about, but all the trouble is not worth it to me.  Just my .02 and it's sometimes worth a million dollars.

Brian
Hey bacharles: How do you like the new PB DB wind screen? My best friend Bob told me you received it. Have you put it on yet?
rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif
Man, just buy a full exhaust!  I'm thinking it would probably work with what you're talking about, but all the trouble is not worth it to me.  Just my .02 and it's sometimes worth a million dollars.

Brian
I don't want a aftermarket system...I bought one for my zx9r and it hampered the performance...Said I'ld never buy a full one again...I was just thinking about this...Really not that much trouble/work at all and cost would be minimal...
rock.gif

rock.gif

Back